Please Help w/ Small Brownie Batch

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by davestern, Feb 11, 2010.

1. davestern

davestern New Member

HI!
    I'm looking to bake a small batch of brownies for my girlfriend and I to enjoy on Valentine's day. I'm hoping to bake a small batch, as we only have a toaster oven at our disposal. The pan size is approx 6"x3"

I already grabbed a box of Ducan Hines Fudge Brownie mix. The recipe calls for:
    1 Egg
    1/4 Cup water
    1/4 Oil (which I will make weed oil w/ approx 2-3g)

The box says this will make 16 servings. However, I'm obviously looking for much less.

Can anyone suggest the best way to cut the recipe down, allowing me to still use the brownie mix I have, but maybe much less of it, and still get some awesome edibles!

Thanks in advanced !

2. Chiefsnow

Chiefsnow New Member

Cut everything by 75% and make four brownies at a time? Or cut by 50% and do 8 brownies. You'll have plenty of oil to work with either way. The challenge is the 1/4 egg, but scrambled eggs is an option with the other 3/4ths you don't use in the mix.

3. davestern

davestern New Member

If I do your suggestion, and cut the recipe down by 75%, how will I be able to cook the weed in such a small amount of oil?? I don't want to cook my weed in the 1/4 of oil and then only use 25% of that.

4. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Do the math, if the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of oil, you need a 1/16 cup of oil. You will probably have to eyeball that to a certain degree. To bake a few brownies use a muffin tin and just make a couple of brownies. If you use too little weed in a whole mix you will have digestive acids breaking down more food matter than necessary.

Many claim it doesn't work, many say it does, ( it has always worked for me)but you can just put the weed in enough brownie mix for two brownies and cook them in a muffin tin.

Safest bet for success is probably firecrackers, there are tried and true recipes on this site and you won't have to worry about scaling things down and losing your stash to experimentation. Consider graham crackers, PB, and chocolate chips. They don't taste great, but flavor isn't your primary objective.

2 people like this.
  5. davestern

davestern New Member

I don't think I want to try firecrackers for this occasion. My lady has her heart set on brownies lol.

I'm leaning towards attempting to use about 20ml of Oil (just over 1/4 of a 1/4 cup), use the same amount of water and 1/4 of an egg. I hope that the 20ml of oil is enough to make weed oil with.

However, your suggestion of simply grinding the weed in and baking a small tray isn't that bad. I agree there is a lot of debate on the subject, and I have never tried this method. Do you cover your baking tray with anything? Won't I lose a bunch of the THC? Will it taste terrible?

6. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

I am of the school that says grind up the weed as fine as possible and throw it in with the brownie mix. My fear for making the small batch is that since you have a particular occasion in mind that if it doesn't work, all is lost.

Thus the firecracker suggestion.

If you are determined to use the oil I would make a double boiler out of a Pyrex measuring cup placed inside of a small sauce pan with an inch or two of water in it. If you notice the oil evaporating add more till you get it back to the same level.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

7. davestern

davestern New Member

For a double boiler, do I use a couple inches of BOILED water an place the measuring cup inside of the boiling water? Any other suggestions as to what I can use if I don't have a pyrex measuring cup (my measuring cups are plastic...) ??What is the optimal heat setting for my burner to do it this way?

Also, as another small question, when running the oil through a filter, will a paper coffee filter be an adequate replacement?

Thanks for all the help!

8. Sofa King

Sofa King It's Good to be the KING.

Why not just make the whole thing? Just make the batter as you would and then make one batch then another until you've used all the batter.

9. davestern

davestern New Member

If I make the entire batch, then I'll have to eat it ALL considering I only want to put a couple grams in the oil. If I make a small batch with a portion of the ingredients, then I get to have all the weed oil in those couple servings of brownies.

10. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Your using a very small amount of weed and a very small amount of oil, I hope things work out for you but every time you pour from one conatiner to another or strain such a small amount you have the potential to lose some of the goodness that you are trying to enjoy.

If you can afford it make a full batch with an 1/8 or 1/4 and freeze the difference. Or buy some premade chocolate chip cookie dough and work the weed into the dough, then bake it at a temp less than 350 until done.

I don't want to be a pessimist, but in my own experiments and many I have read online small batch cooking seems to create challenges with making butter or oil.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, and if you buy her flowers maybe the brownies won't make that much of a difference in how your Valentines Day goes.

A Pyrex measuring cup is about $5 at your local grocery store and can come in real handy for a lot of cannabis alchemy experiments.

Happy VD

11. davestern

davestern New Member

If I go the double boiler route, do I leave the water constantly boiling while stirring the measuring cup with oil inside??

I would go with baking more week, unfortunately I just don't have more than 2-3g to bake into them. Dry times!
    I will update with pictures and results next week! Hopefully they'll end up working nicely!

12. davestern

davestern New Member

Also, sorry to ask another stupid question, when going to double boiler route... does it matter that the glass measuring cup is touching the bottom of the larger pot (and hence getting the heat from the element) or is it better if I use a bowl w/ a lid that will not touch the bottom??? THANKS!

13. Chiefsnow

Chiefsnow New Member

Ideally you want the container in the double boiler to float slightly, but as long as you're watching the temp closely with a candy thermometer, then you're fine.

By the way, if you need to, you can use more oil then the recipe calls for. S'fine. I'd just grind the product as finely as possible and cook very carefully with the amount of oil you need. If you've got slightly oily brownies, who cares?

14. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Well VD was yesterday, what did you cook and how did it turn out?

Was the girl friend adequately appreciative of all your efforts? (Not asking for details, a simple yes or no will do)

15. Chiefsnow

Chiefsnow New Member

Update please davestern?

16. davestern

davestern New Member

Hey everyone, sorry about the delay on posting back. I had a VERY unsuccessful attempt at brownies. After cooking 2g in about 25ml of oil in a double boiler for an hour and a half, I thought I had cooked the week enough to make the brownies. I have a feeling the oil did NOT heat up enough to extract the weed into the oil. While it did smell a bit in my house, I feel it should have really smelt a lot. I think the weed should have been a bit browner and the oil shouldn't be such a natural color.

Here is a pic of the double boiler I set up. I believe the bowl was touching the water too much... this was my first mistake.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the weed in the strainer. As you all will for sure tell me, this was not cooked enough.
    [​IMG]

The ending of the story is that the brownies made my GF and I giggle for about an hour, but these by no mean got us high. I ended up rolling a nice j a few hours after we ate the brownies.

I'll try another batch in a few weeks and hopefully not waste my weed.
    Thanks to 1956, chiefsnow and everyone else who helped me out!

17. Chiefsnow

Chiefsnow New Member

First time was a bust for me as well, but for different reasons. There's so many things that can go wrong! Argh!!

You may have used too little product, though, or not gotten the temp right on one of the processes. I'd forgo the double-boiler method next time, and just simmer the oil/weed mixture at a very low temp in a saucepan.