Possible problem with plant

Discussion in 'Growing Topics' started by TruculentTom, Jun 30, 2013.

1. TruculentTom

TruculentTom New Member

Hi all,

I've included a pic of the leaves that i am concerned about. The part of some big leaves that is closest to the stem of the plant are curling upwards.

I'm looking for some advice on what the problem might be. I don't have a PH meter yet, although i have ordered two and i am waiting for them to arrive and i haven't been adding any nutrients yet. I was waiting till i had the PH meter before doing that. I also don't know what the temp and humidity are yet but neither seems to be too high or too low to my guestimation.

Here are some answers to questions...

Soil Growers:
    1. Are you growing from seed or clones? SEED (AUTO-FLOWERING)
    2. How old are your plants? 3.5 WEEKS
    3. How tall are your plants? 7 INCHES
    4. What size containers are they planted in? 2-LITER DRINKS BOTTLES
    5. What is your soil mix? POTTING COMPOST AND PERLITE
    6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? DAILY, TAP WATER THAT HAS BEEN LEFT TO SIT OVERNIGHT
    7. What is the pH of your water? DON'T KNOW
    8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? DON'T KNOW
    9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? NO
    10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 1 x 125 WATT ENERGY EFFICIENT DUAL-SPECTRUM FLUORESCENT
    11. How close are your lights to the plants? 2 INCHES-ISH
    12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 6-ish
    13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? DON'T KNOW
    14. What is the pH of the soil? DON'T KNOW
    15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? NO
    16. How much experience do you have growing? NONE

http://ptpimg.me/79e5x6.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Cheers

TT

2. iGanja

iGanja New Member

It could be the fact you're using 2 litre bottles the lights could be hitting the roots

3. TruculentTom

TruculentTom New Member

That could be it. Up until about 4 or 5 days ago i hadn't covered the outside of the bottles. They are now wrapped in a thick layer of black plastic to protect the roots.

The only problem is that it has only gotten obvious there is a problem in the last couple of days and the roots became protected 2 or 3 days before. Does that theory still make sense?

I've no idea. I might order some litmus paper really quickly and test the PH.

Also i should point out that i have use way too much perlite in the soil mixes (>=50%) but it's too late to change it now as the roots are quite well developed.

TT

4. iGanja

iGanja New Member

If you used too much perlite maybe you need to water them more often but didn't you say you watered them daily?

5. TruculentTom

TruculentTom New Member

Yeah, thats right. I'll keep an eye on them and test the PH asap. see what that is like. cheers TT

6. iGanja

iGanja New Member

My outdoor crops tend to start pointing up if I water them too soon before the sun hits them or while the sun is out but they never curl up so Idk if Thats the same thing you're experiencing