Pot and Dialysis/Kidney Failure

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by lady, Apr 20, 2005.

1. lady

lady New Member

I'm 23 and I've been on dialysis for about 3 weeks. My kidneys are functioning at 5% and I am going to be getting a kidney transplant (hopefully soon!)

My doctor is terrible and never answers my questions directly. Of course, I came here:

Is it OK for me to smoke pot? Since THC attaches itself to fat cells and not water cells I am assuming it has nothing to do with my kidneys, but heck, I could be wrong.

My main fear is that the THC will build up in my bloodstream and instead of getting flushed out it will continue to build and build and I will experience negitive side effects.

Will dialysis remove the toxins from pot? Or will those metabolize out of my body?

I would like some educated advice, please!
  2. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

It is true that THC binds to fat, and I don't believer there are "toxins" in cannabis, because it has such a low toxicity rate unlike other substances.

From Jack Herer:

"Cannabis use has no toxic side effects to the liver and kidneys; nor is there any danger of the occasional sudden death syndromes associated with the legal pharmaceutical glaucoma drugs/drops."

From Drug Science:

"Studies have shown the long-term use of cannabis to be safe. In contrast to many other medicinal drugs, the long-term use of cannabis does not harm stomach, liver, kidneys and heart."

From Totse:

"Marijuana is two to three times as effective as any currently legal medicines for reducing ocular pressure, without toxic side effects destroying liver and kidneys, toxic effects associated with present legal glaucoma drugs."
    2 people like this.
  3. purpledee

purpledee New Member

Just to let you know, my husband has been denied from UT bowld hospital in Memphis, TN for a kidney transplant because of weed. He then went to UAB in Alabama and they have sent him a letter stating he has to be clean for six months before they will consider doing a transplant. He was going to receive a kidney from his brother in June but they will not do it now because he could not pass. So if you are serious about getting a transplant you will have to quit, not because it affects your kidneys, but because the Dr;s will not take that chance!
  4. nerphroll

nerphroll Sr. Member

Pot is safe for patients with kidney failure and those on dialysis. Personally, I would abstain from pot, however, if I were the recipient of a kidney transplant since I'd be afraid it would interfere with the immunospuuressive drugs, though I have no evidence to support this belief. Lastly, six months of abstinence are required from illicit drugs or from alcoholism before a transplant will be considered, marijuana included. At only age 23, I would place a renal transplant ahead of smoking pot, obviously.
    :)
  5. Mark

Mark New Member

ESRF vs pot

do be carefull how much you smoke, i was on dialysis for 4 yrs, had a kidney transplant 3 years ago still smoke abit of weed and my transplant result are better now than when i got the kidney 3 yr ago.
    what i did was smoke weed after dailysis but when i had my transplant i dint have any for about two weeks then as you will be going to clinic often for some months (like every week) you can try starting with a smal amount and see how your bloods are if like me you will be suprised to see how they are in fact better.
    As for the checks i like england never had any such checks was passed as fit for transplant (as i was). Glad i smoked weed on dailysis cos it helped to sooth me after, now i smoke it sometimes as a bit of fun every so often but i know it has not had any negative effects to either my transplant or when i was on the machine.
    Please take the information with care take it easy, my advice is look after your diet and fluid balance as these are things what will affect you mostly while your on dialysis.
    FINAL COMMENT - ive been on dailysis 4 yr transplant 3 yr im in great health, smoke and vapourised pot for the last 15yr no problem.
    hope you get a transplant soon
  6. shibshib

shibshib New Member

I remember reading about a man that died because they denied the transplant... I honestly thought it was something rare....

My prayers are with you and your husband =\.
  7. MymyJo

MymyJo New Member

Dialysis patient...who smokes..

I am a 23 yr old dialysis patient, and I've been on dialysis almost 2 years now with 2% of my kidneys working, and my doctors have told me that it was ok for me to smoke, I'm actually legal to smoke in my state. My doctors have also said that smoking pot was better for me than taking tylenol, and it wouldn't prohibit me from receiving my kidney transplant which is coming from my husband. I don't see anything wrong with it, and neither does my doctors or dialysis nurses our anyone in that case! So I say to smoke, if it makes you feel better and not have pain then do it. I am constantly in pain and pot helps tremendously! So unless your in my shoes or anyone else's in my condition..don't judge us, we go through more than you can imagine!
    2 people like this.
  8. stoneygreenbud

stoneygreenbud Super Moderator

I once was dating a girl that was on dialysis, she had to go every 3 days to filter her blood through dialysis, I don't remember her having alot of pain though, even so, going through dialysis is not easy, and it can drain every bit of energy out of your body.

I wish you well in getting a transplant soon.

~Stoney~
  9. sunkistfro

sunkistfro New Member

Idid 20 yrs on dialysis, and almost 10yrs with my transplant and i smoked the whole 30 yrs.At first because it was normal for me, then i realized the benefits while on dialysis.I would get off dialysis and be so wiped out , i could barely do anything, and i would smoke a joint and had the energy to go work a full time job. No side effects while on dialysis, and none since the transplant. My doctor knows i smoke and its ok.In my opinion, if it helps you feel better after dialysis treatment,its nobody else s business. i say if it works for you personally, go for it. Its a matter of choice.
  10. Psiloqk

Psiloqk New Member

Question
    How can they ck for maryjuna if the day before labs of transplant ( blood being draw X-rays ect..) you are dyalizing .. If u don't smoke after dyalisis doesnt that take the toxins out?
  11. pedramnassiri`

pedramnassiri` New Member

Dudes, I believe that using weed seriously harms kidney and even other organs of the body! I've smoked weed for over 2 years and taken tramadol twice a week! Fortunately I've already quited both tramadol and marijuana about a month ago but whenever I smoke few pokes of pot I feel seriously hurt in my kidneys. So I want to request and beg all weed smokers to quit this s*** immediately, For your health, please..!!
  12. Keith

Keith Guest

Oh no, 2 years of using pot and tramadol damaged your kidneys! Everybody, quit using marijuana because this kid has kidney problems after using marijuana and tramadol for two years! He didn't disclose his age, diet or any other physical conditions in his post but it was definitely the marijuana that damaged his kidneys and not the tramadol or countless other factors that can cause kidney problems!

Thank you, anonymous savior, for showing us stoned fools the light! :rolleyes:
  13. nugatronica

nugatronica New Member

I hope THC can help you with your pain!