Pre-employment drug test testing for alcohol?

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by fxyrxy0515, Jul 10, 2011.

1. fxyrxy0515

fxyrxy0515 New Member

So, I got a substitute from a friend at about 6:30 pm, but she had a beer that day at lunch (12 or 1?). My paperwork stated I would have drug and alcohol testing via urine and breathalyzer testing. Obviously, the breathalyzer is testing for alcohol, but could the urine test be testing for alcohol as well as the drugs too? I am getting worried if I use her sub, I could fail for having some alcohol in her urine! Can the immunoassay and GC/MS test for the presence of alcohol or is that different type of test? Freaking out a little and can't decide what to do!! I would appreciate any help! Thanks!!

2. Ruckus

Ruckus New Member

Imagination running wild fxyrxy0515? ;)

While there are additional panels and alcohol being one of them, blood and breathalyzer are the most common. And you already know which one you are sheduled for. Urine test will not tell if you are drinking during the time of the test. You thinking that your future employer wants to know if you had a cocktail or a beer after last night's dinner? Relax.

If still not convinced, you already have a backup. Illinois is not one of the few states you heard rumors about.

3. DrugTestDave

DrugTestDave Moderator

If an employer is going to test you for alcohol, it will most likely be after you have an accident.

4. fxyrxy0515

fxyrxy0515 New Member

Thanks for the response guys, Ruckus - Yes my mind was running WILD last night haha! I took the test today and as crazy as I'll sound saying this, I didn't even end up substituting. I found out that I would need to take 2 -3 hours of tests on a computer and fill out paperwork first followed by a physical then the drug screen. So, I decided I didn't think I could hold temp that well for that long, or comfortably keep it hidden away while I was walking around/doing things for that long. I dilluted this morning and passed 3 tests before I left with good lines (one with first morning void, faint line though for that one). Now for the waiting and hoping I don't hear any bad news!! So, not done being nervous quite yet! I thought it was quite strange though that they ended up doing drug testing via urine and blood. (wish it would have been only blood :)) . I am wondering why they would take both for drug testing? Any thoughts on that?

5. Ruckus

Ruckus New Member

YIKES fxyrxy051. Talk about a subber's worst nightmare!

Are you positive that the blood test was part and parcel of your drug screen and not your physical?

6. fxyrxy0515

fxyrxy0515 New Member

Yes, they ended up sending me to an entirely different faciity for the physical. (where they took their own samples) Also, when I was signing the paperwork before being tested I read I was consenting to drug testing via urine and blood. I definitely don't understand why they would test both for drugs? Very curious. could this be something bad for me?

7. Ruckus

Ruckus New Member

My first thought was just a double tap. A non-negative for MJ in urine would note a history and blood would note current impairment. It's their money I guess.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it fxyrxy0515. When you pop negative on the urine screeen the blood test will be moot. Make sense?

8. fxyrxy0515

fxyrxy0515 New Member

That is what i thought at first too. It does seem pretty odd though! Can't stop being nervous though.. can't wait for a week to go by so I can start to feel better about it! Thanks again for your help Ruckus!:)

9. DrugTestDave

DrugTestDave Moderator

Please be sure and let us know how it all works out...

10. fxyrxy0515

fxyrxy0515 New Member

Well i took the drug test on 7/11 and have still not heard anything back! My start date is Monday 7/25. Still a little bit nervous about it, really wanting to smoke though! Do you think I would have heard the bad news by now if I didn't pass?

11. Ruckus

Ruckus New Member

One would certainly think so fxyrxy0515.

Just a, little bit? :D

Don't you dare!

You could wait a few days more before calling just to see if there is any more paperwork to be filled before your start date. If you know what I mean. ;)