privacy for pre-employment drug test

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Maggie, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Maggie

Maggie Guest

Hi all-
    Does anybody know if there are any laws or guidlines for pre-employment drug testing in regards to privacy.
    In other words isn't it some kind of violation of my personal rights for someone to watch me pee?

Thanks,
    Maggie

2. mirage

mirage Banned

it comes down to this, by applying to the job your sayin ok test me. thats how the companys think, if you want the job then you will test.

whats funny is when you show a company a side by side cost projection of testing the pions vs not testing them along with correlating work/effecatiacy charts.

its a waste of money to test

3. Maggie

Maggie Guest

Consent to testing fine..... but to be watched while urinating is another. Why is it a "guilty till proven innocent" ordeal.

I'm talking about a job, not a condition of probation or parole.

Doesn't anybody else see something wrong with this?

Maggie

4. tha_hashassin

tha_hashassin New Member

if you're applying for a job they usually won't watch you while you pee. that's just for if you're taking a test for an on the job injury and things of that nature. my wife and i applied for jobs at the same time and neither one of us were watched....

5. mirage

mirage Banned

maybe some exec is a perv and gets off watching people pee

6. Maggie

Maggie Guest

Because there doesn't seem to be a specific right to protect my privacy I wonder if it is just up to the people working at the clinics. The consents I have signed always seem to have a grey area that states you will abide by the clinics collection protocols.... somewhere in there it probably states it is allowable to be watched if there is reason to be suspicious that someone is trying to cheat. Similar to the probable cause concept.

It's a bad position to be in and everybody knows it. Nobody will challenge it because that in itself is enough to keep you from being hired, or maybe fired if your already working (?).

I don't understand why workers unions or the ACLU don't challenge this on a higher level and get the laws changed across the board.

Any comments?

Maggie

7. Randøm_

Randøm_ Banned

Maggie, With voluntary testing you may have signed away your "rights" in a sense, but a basic appeal to one may lead to them being willing to wait outside the stall as opposed to watching. ALthough you "agree" to their protocols, you do have the right to ask for a little dignity, but as do they have the right to decline.

The ACLU can do nothing if you signed your name on a contract. It is your obligation to negotiate the contract beforehand. This, however, may lead to you being discriminated against by your employer, but that is the sickness of today's society.

...I feel for ya, but it's all legal, contractually

8. Maggie

Maggie Guest

I see what your saying Random, and it is a shame. I'd really like to know where various workers unions stand on this.
    I guess when you think about it though, it's the bigger picture that is the real shame. The only thing I'm attempting to hide is my marijuana use. I consider it to be a harmless drug that should not be prohibited. Given that over 90% of positive urine drug tests are for marijuana it's obvious to me it's a money making scheme and does not protect the work place, or the streets for that matter. People getting busted for pot... I mean how ludicris is that? It does not benefit society, it just enables the government to weasle even more money out of us (they need some way to pay for expensive trials when presidents get caught sneaking immoral blow jobs!)..... and oh yeah lawyers benefit..... oh baby do they ever!

Dancing on the soapbox,
    Maggie