quick question about the strain "trainwreck"

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by picknsave6990, Jul 9, 2007.

1. picknsave6990

picknsave6990 New Member

correctly grown...is the strain trainwreck a hybrid (as in half indica half sativa) or is it suppoed to be fully indica? i think its a hybrid but im not completely sure...

2. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Hmm...The original trainwreck I believe is a short squat fast finishing sativa. The grow reports I've seen though talk about how lanky they are, so the short squat part might just be hype.

I think the original is available as clone only though, so seedbanks are crossing it with various other strains and selling them under other names (like K-train, Trainwreck X Herijuana, etc.).

3. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

As is typically the case, truth and legend have co-mingled. Here's what I know. You decide for yourself.

1 - The original Trainwreck was supposedly 1st grown in Arcada, Calif. in the '60's. Story has it that there was a train wreck that summer which more or less memorialized what turned out to be a very potent and popular smoke. Sativa dominant.

2 - Trainwreck was first grown in the early 1980's by two brothers in San Diego. It was a cross of Columbian X Mexican X Afghani - 90/10 sativa dom.
    This strain has been grown with great successes in Humboldt, Calif. for the last decade or two.

Other variants from Humboldt are said to have a higher % X of Afghani resulting in a hybrid more like 65/35 sativa dom.
    There is an indoor version called Alien Trainwreck that is actually Indica dom.

Regardless, Trainwreck has proved to be extremely well regarded and is said to be especially effective in the management of chronic pain, migraines and nausea.

Hope this helps...

4. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

More info I found on Trainwreck:

5. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Wow, now there's something to chew on.
    Thanks Plains...

6. tokinGLX

tokinGLX Sr. Member

one peice of correction, it is arcata, not arcada. never been there, but when you google arcata calif, it brings up a map, showing the city of arcata, humboldt univ is right there. so the arcata and humboldt (i believe, anyways) are the same line.
    you know youve got trainwreck when you smell that lemony, gasolinish smell and the nugs are rock hard. 3 weeks into flower and the plant looks more crystalated than most strains do at 6 weeks. my previous patient said that it was nearly too strong for him. i fucking love this strain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after being water cured, in the jar
    [​IMG]

7. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Beautiful photos tolkin:cool: Thank you.

FYI - All my background work shows Arcada as being correct re: the origin anyway.
    As my post indicated, there is some confusion specific to it and San Diego. Some rather extended research could probably clear that up (but I'm too busy for that):)

Most of the Trainwreck derivations we are seeing these days, are coming from the Humboldt area.

8. PierBowl

PierBowl New Member

arcadia is a suburb of LA