Restless Leg Syndrome

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Dingaling, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Dingaling

Dingaling New Member

I seem to recall reading, somewhere, that MJ can help a person who suffers from RLS(Restless Leg Syndrome) - first off, can anyone confirm that, and secondly, I am trying to figure out what happened to me, tonight.

I was feeling alright when I smoked, quite a bit earlier, but then, about an hour later I got a "chilled to the bone" type of pain, in the back of my calves, that was just excruciating. It was a similar pain sensation to what I have when my RLS flairs up, only far more intense. It took a few ibuprofen, and a couple of hours until my legs felt ok, let alone, fine.

Does anyone know anything about this? Is it possible that, for some reason, MJ actually aggrivated my RLS, instead of helping to suppress it? I do know that some people believe that the root of RLS is neurological, and if that's the case, I guess I can see where a high might aggitate something like that, every once in awhile, but I'm not sure enough to let it go at that.

I am hoping that this is a one time thing, just a fluke, of some sort, with the smoking, and a severe RLS episode happening at the same time, or something. Anyway, any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Vex

Vex New Member

about your RLS, it would seem like pot would help that, just b/c it can really make you relax, you know?

3. vaya

vaya Activist

Hmm... RLS is better treated with something like a benzodiazepine, but then there's the whole addiction bit. Nothing ever comes easy....

Pot doesnt' seem like it'd help, especially since its sedative properties are counterracted, at least in most people, by its stimulant properties (racing heart, sometimes muscle spasms, increased rate of breathing, etc.).

Try it out a few times, if it doesnt work, I'd say quit it for that specific use.