scary movies while high

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by deadhead1259, Oct 28, 2005.

1. deadhead1259

deadhead1259 New Member

i was wondering if anyone has experience watching a scary movie while high. like if i did watch one would it make for a bad trip?

2. rhyax

rhyax New Member

I can generally handle horror movies with no problem while high...the only movie I've ever freaked out while watching was Requiem for a Dream

3. deadhead1259

deadhead1259 New Member

im just wondering cuz me n my friends are gonna smoke an 8th each and watch saw so i wasnt sure if that was a bad idea or not...

4. Taiyed

Taiyed New Member

The movies I find to be scariest are the ones that seem like the could have actually happend. The whole time I'm watching, while stoned of course, I find myself thinking how ****ed up it would be to be in the situation displayed on-screen. Movies like Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream make me feel very uncomfortable while watching... I wouldn't be able to handle those situations.

I don't watch too many horror movies though, come to think of it I don't believe I've ever seen one while high...
    So many of them are just so retarded and unbelievable that I don't find them very entertaining. :/

5. rhyax

rhyax New Member

I've seen the original saw blazed and it honestly didn't phase me, but I can see how it could freak some people out....

I'm probably gonna see the new one later this weekend

6. MrIMStoned

MrIMStoned |BIG BROTHER|

Saw is one of those movies that could conceivably happen. It wasn't scary exactly but its the thinking about it happening. I would say Saw is a better movie to watch high than some stupid slasher like say Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

7. robby

robby New Member

Scary/Horror movies put me to sleep, whether I'm high or not.
    All of them are the same, they are so predictable. They give up all the scary parts of the movie by the music and sound effects. I wish scary movies were like original ones, I remember when the original "Poltergeist" and "The Exorcist" came out. Those movies actually gave me the chills at least.

8. Jake

Jake Sr. Member

Don't watch horror movies while high, musicals are the way to go.

9. trainingday

trainingday New Member

i watched the remake of that ju Jon movie the japanese version, it wasnt very scary at all, i was just noticing all that white make up on the little boy and the rest of em and there were 2 girls in it that looked good so i was payin more attention to them, but actually scary moveis arent very scary to me when im high. i usually notice how fake the special effects are

10. iamfritter

iamfritter New Member

you mean "ju-on"

if you want to see a good japanese horror movie while high watch "ringu"
    (but dont watch the us version or youll be comparing them)

11. UberDouche

UberDouche New Member

That a horror movie is predictable is actually part of what makes them scary. Alfred Hitchcock said "It's not the bang of the gun that's scary, its the anticipation".

I saw Saw 2 last night, pretty stoned, and it was one of the scariest movies I've seen, ever. Sure it was predictable, however, the movie made you put yourself into the character's shoes. If you were chained to a wall, would you be able to cut your own leg off to survive? It's imagining that, that makes it so scary. If you don't get into movies, I could see how some scary movies wouldn't phase you, but we all have either imagined what it might be like to have to do something like that, or have experienced pain and know what it would be like to experience that. For example, most of us have had a burn, and know how that feels. So to be burned alive is a scary concept, and watching it happen to someone is uncomfortable to watch.

Now, most scary movies that I watch stoned, won't actually scare me. I will feel myself get physically scared - adrenaline, all that stuff, but my mind wont really comprehend that I'm being scared; I'm just watching TV. Saw 2 was toally different - it really made me uncomfortable sometimes.

12. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Definitely horror/sci-fi. :D

13. homemadebubbler

homemadebubbler Always bubblin'

Werd. All my friends love scary movies, but I don't think their scary and 99% of the time they are stupid and predictable :rolleyes:

14. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I didn't find that to be true with Van Helsing. :D

15. anonymity

anonymity New Member

I think you should rethink what you've just said. Was it scary, or was it just obscenely gory? I consider myself to have a pretty strong stomach, and I love violence in film, but this was just ridiculous. The acting was atrocious, there was zero character development, and there was no plot besides everyone dying. There weren't really any scares, just parts that made you squeamish. The film making itself was lame, all jump-cuts and a terrible score.

Just a bad movie, until the last 15 minutes when the plot twists start coming. Those were pretty ****ing cool, but they didn't save the movie. This post will become a thread shortly.

16. UberDouche

UberDouche New Member

I have to agree with you. I was typing pretty quickly, tryin to run out the door at the same time.

Now that you say that, I think that's what I really think too. The movie was more uncomfortable to watch than it was scary. I was scared after I watched the Poltergiest movies, and to this day, mirrors still freak me out after watching the second one.

I will disagree on the character development...there was some, it just wasn't done very well. It was obvious that the large mexican guy was selfish, the boy would have helped any of them regardless of anything they had done. You could tell what kind of person each of them was by how they responded to the threats and such..or maybe that was just me.

As for the plot...well, yeah, it was all building up to the last 15 minutes. Is there something wrong with that? I kind of liked how nothing seemed to make sense until the end, and then all the twists.

You probably shouldn't pay too much attention to my review though, cuz like every movie that I've ever seen, I liked. I could never be a film critic, because I really get into movies, so it's like I'm experiencing what's going on, and I have a hard time not liking it. So take it for what it's worth.

17. I watched the Excorcism of Emily Rose while i was completly ****in blizt'd... It wasn't so much scary as it was crazy... When i watch scary movies and im real high i find myself trying to put myself in the main characters place... When im high its much easier to understand the mindset of other people... so its not really that its unbarebly scary, but it can get crazy at some times

18. swadey99

swadey99 New Member

I goto horror movies to get scared. If that happens, then im happy.

19. anonymity

anonymity New Member

Yes, but there was no character development through dialogue at all. I personally like to get to know characters in any book or movie, and we know nothing more about each of these people than their reason for being in jail. I suppose you can gather your information about them through how they reacted, but that just made me characterize them as "rash", "selfish", "calm", "insane", etc. The Seventh Heaven girl got killed even before we found out what she was in jail for.

And also, an hour and thirty minutes isn't long enough to have two different plots going at once. They could have spent a lot more time letting us anticipate the deaths of the characters, letting them interact and then still have those distastefully violent scenes. I still wouldn't have enjoyed all the violence, but at least they would have included the character development. We learn a lot about the detective, whose name is hilariously Eric Matthews, but he's not the one in mortal peril. It's hard to care about someone you don't know anything about.

The paragraph structure in this post is awful.

20. SonicDaChronic

SonicDaChronic New Member

well i watched a "scary movie" on the weekend and it is the worst piece of trash i have ever layed my eyes on...its called SICKLE or SICKEL.

the camera work is B grade, so is the acting. if it wasnt for the good sex scene in the first 2 mins i would have turned it off..

they actually used the same footage in 2 scenes of the movie...that is how amatuer it was.

the funnies thing though was this chick who was running from the killer (who's weapon of choice was a sickle) and she climber up through a guilotene (those things that chop ur head off). she crawled thorugh it, but just as the killer was trying to reach her, she decided that she would take her skirt off showing her panties, so she couls fit throught the gilotene. it didnt make any ***in sense what so ever.. its as if they made this movie purposly to be **** and crap just to be funny...its R18+...