school project

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by keera180, Apr 21, 2003.

1. keera180

keera180 New Member

I'm working on a project about whether or not marijuana should be legalized for medicinal purposes. I believe it should be, and for my group's presentation I wanted to talk about the chemicals in marijuana that actually induce the appetite, reduce naseau, help tremors, etc. Can anyone tell me in particular whether THC is the chemical that does all these things, or are there more specific chemicals?

Thanks in advance for any info. someone may have on this topic!
  2. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

Welcome to the boards keera180 :wave:

That's awesome that you're doing a school project about medical marijuana!

I have plenty of information for ya. Lemme gather it together. :)
  3. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

*I made some changes to this, hence the reason why I am posting it again*

I figure I'd shared some info about marijuana and Marinol (Dronabinol).

As mentioned above, marijuana contains over 400 different chemical compounds in it. At least 66 are unique to the plant, and have earned the name "cannabinoids." I'm guessing that the other compounds are just simply plant material.

Marinol has only one cannabinoid. Synthetic THC.

Some of the major cannabinoids found in marijuana are D-8-THC, D-9-THC, cannabinol, and cannabidol. I'll concentrate on the latter.

Cannabidiol has been found to help people with dystonia disorder, Huntington's Disease, epilepsy, sleeping, Tourette Syndrome, Dyskinetic syndrome, stroke, and psychotic activity.

Cannabidiol has also been found blocking of effects of THC, which included increased pulse rate, disturbed time tasks, and psychological reactions. It also decreased the anxiety from THC.

Also, cannabidiol is apparently not psychoactive.

These two links go into a little more detail, and have the sources listed. [one] <---- These have the sources for benefits of cannabidiol (which doesn't get you high). [two] <--- This has sources, I think for the antioxidant quality of cannabidiol.

Again, Marinol does not contain cannabidiol.

Smoked marijuana can provide relief from ailments almost immediately. Marinol can take from 30 to 90 minutes (or even longer, this can vary from person to person).

For some individuals who are suffering from nausea, the act of swallowing a pill can induce vomiting. So smoking (or vaporization) might be the only way they can use the drug.

Another issue is metabolization. When someone swallows Marinol, the THC gets metabolized into 11-OH-THC, which is more psychoactive than THC. Keep in mind there is no cannabidiol in Marinol, so side effects from THC such as anxiety can be more extreme in Marinol than marijuana.

11-OH-THC has been found to be a weaker antiemetic (relieving nausea) than THC.1

"Infact, due to metabolism by the liver, 90 percent of more of swallowed THC never reaches the sites of activity in the body.20 Two hours after swallowing ten to fifteen milligrams of Marinol, 84 percent of subjects in a study had no measurable THC in their blood. After six hours, 57 percent still had none.21 By contrast, two to five milligrams of THC consumed through smoking reliably produced blood concentrations above the effective level within a few minutes.22"

The above part is from Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts: A Review Of The Scientific Evidence by Lynn Zimmer and John P. Morgan. I changed the words just a little, but chances are if you said that they were your own words, you would be charged with plagarism. So just mention the book.

"Also, Marinol is more expensive than marijuana. The amount of dronabinol (THC) typically used as an antiemetic for chemotherapy costs $50 to $100 per treatment, depending on the amount purchased at one time. Four to six marijuana cigarettes from the NIDA would provide as much THC as the typical dosage used in this research. This amount of cannabis would cost as little as $20 in the underground market and much less if the government lifted legal sanctions."

This above part is from Understanding Marijuana: A New Look At The Scientific Evidence by Mitch Earleywine. Again, mention the book.

Most people who have tried marijuana and Marinol prefer marijuana.

Footnotes.

1. McCarthy LE, Flora KP, Vishnuvajjala BR. 1984. Antiemetic properties and plasma concentrations of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol against cisplatin vomiting in cats. In: Agurell S, Dewey WL, Willette RE, Editors, The Cannabinoids: Chemical, Pharmlacologic and Therapeutic Aspects. Orlando, FL: Academic Press. Pp. 859-870.

20. Mattes, R.D. et al., "Cannabinoids and Appetite Stimulation," Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 49: 187-95 (1994); Peat, M.A., "Distribution of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Its Metabolites." Advances in Analytical Toxicology 2: 186-217 (1989); Wall, M.E. et al., "Metabolism, Disposition, and Kinetics of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in Men and Women," Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 34: 352-63 (1983); Agurell et al. (1986), see note 19.

*NOTE* Notice how there are multiple studies in the above source. They are seperated by a semi-colon [;].

21. Mattes, R. D. et al., "Bypassing the First-Pass Effect for the Therapeutic Use of Cannabinoids," Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 44: 745-47 (1993).

22. Mattes, et al. (1994), see note 20; Agurell, et al. (1986), see note 19; Wall and Perez-Reyes (1981), see note 19.

19. Agurell, S. et al., "Pharmacokinetics and Metabolism of Delta-1-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Other Cannabinoids with Emphasis on Man," Pharmacological Reviews 38: 21-43 (1986); Lemberger, L. et al., "Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol: Temporal Correlation of the Psychological Effects and Blood Levels After Various Routes of Administration," New England Journal of Medicine 268: 685-88 (1972); Perez-Reyes, M. et al., "The Clinical Pharmacology and Dynamics of Marijuana Cigarette Smoking," Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 21: 201-7S (1981); Wall, M.E. and Perez-Reyes, M., "The Metabolism of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Related Cannabinoids in Man," Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 21: 178-89S (1981); Ohlsson, A. et al., "Plasma Delta-9-THC Concentrations and Clinical Effects after Oral and Intravenous Administration and Smoking," Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics 28: 409-16 (1980); Mason, A.P. and McBay, A.J., "Cannabis: Pharmacology and Interpretation of Effects," Journal of Forensic Sciences 30: 615-31 (1985).

*NOTE* Notice how there are multiple studies in the above source. They are seperated by a semi-colon [;].

I got more info for ya, gimme a moment. :)
  4. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

http://www.lovescannabis.freeserve.co.uk/Medical1.html
    -Medical uses of pot with sources.

http://www.lovescannabis.freeserve.co.uk/Medical2.html
    -More medical uses of pot with sources.

http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/faq/03-asthma.htm
    -How cannabis can help with asthma.

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/index_se_cmu.htm
    -This one is good. It has a lot of information about marijuana as a medicine.

http://www.ardpark.org/MMJDebate/DEAMyth_rebuttal.html
    -This one is great. It's a rebuttal to the DEA claim that marijuana is not a medicine.

If you get crap about how smoking is unhealthy, you can respond by using two different methods of use.

1. Vaporizer
    Cannabinoids have a lower combustion point than such harmful crap like hydrocarbons and possibly tar (depends on temperature). It is possible to significantly reduce (or maybe even eliminate) the nasty side effects of smoke.
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/faq/17-vaporizer.htm

2. Tincture
    "Tincture is designed to address the problems of rapid medicine delivery and consistent dosing. Most tinctures are made to be used under the tongue or sublingually. English pharmaceutical companies are presently working on a cannabis extract "spray" that can be used under the tongue in a similar fashion. These sprays are not expected to be approved for use in the United States for years and will be very expensive. Absorption by the arterial blood supply under the tongue is completed in seconds."

Basically, you extact the THC from the plant and then you place drops under your tongue. You get all of the medical benefits, it's almost as fast as smoking, and there is no smoking involved! Its a win-win situation.
    http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/recipes/tincture.htm

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...teid=50061&headline=Cannabis over the counter
    - This is good. It goes on about how docotors used cannabis in a spray form and it had medical benefits with multiple sclerosis.
  5. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

You know those two books I mentioned? I recommend buying them.

Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts: A Review Of The Scientific Evidence by Lynn Zimmer and John P. Morgan.
    -I wrote that this book is outta print, but apparently it's not. It's great. Debunks 20 myths about pot. Cost me $14. Worth it's weight in gold.

Understanding Marijuana: A New Look At The Scientific Evidence by Mitch Earleywine.
    -This one isn't outta print. It's an awesome book, which dedicates a whole chapter to medical marijuana. You really should buy it. It only cost me $30. This too is worth it's weight in gold.
  6. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

I gotta quote for ya

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young made the following statement in his 1988 ruling:

"The overwhelming preponderance of the evidence in this record establishes that marijuana has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States for nausea and vomiting resulting from chemotherapy treatments in some cancer patients. To conclude otherwise, on this record, would be unreasonable, arbitrary and capricious."

Another one by him.

"Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality...Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death...In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity...In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume...Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man." - DEA Administrative Law Judge, FL Young, 1988.
  7. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

Why CheebaMonkey isn't a moderator is beyond me. I guess he is kind of a newbie, but I think he's proved himself worthy.
  8. ::blazed jae::

::blazed jae:: Sr. Member

no ones ever died directly from weed, tobacco = 400K + deaths a year

i had to do a health project about weed and i was blazed as **** w/ my sober group when we were presenting. it was hilarious.