screen replacement?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by N0TaCRIMINAL, May 2, 2010.

1. N0TaCRIMINAL

N0TaCRIMINAL New Member

i was wondering if replacing a screen on a vaporizer is actually necessary? i have been using the same screen in my vaporgenie for about 5 months now, and i just soak it in alcohol once a month, or whenever it gets too clogged. i was wondering if there is anything wrong with using the same screen in a vaporizer for too long?
  2. Kushy

Kushy down

The only reason to change your vape screen is because it can get too clogged with THC resins, but since that problem is being fixed by soaking it once a month, I can't see any reason why you would need to. It's just easier to buy a bunch of screens and just pop a new one in every time, since screens are pretty cheap.

Also, you may not even need to soak the screen. Just try holding it with tweezers and burn it with a lighter. I think all the resins will be burned off and it will be de-clogged.
    2 people like this.
  3. N0TaCRIMINAL

N0TaCRIMINAL New Member

thanks for clearing that up.

i was wondering, if you were to use a lighter to clean the screen would'nt it leave behind a lot of soot? if so, would there be any adverse effects of inhaling the soot? thanks
  4. Kushy

Kushy down

If you burn the screen with the yellow part of the flame, it will leave soot. Try to hold the screen in the blue part of the flame, and no soot will get left on it.
  5. BigColdMartini

BigColdMartini New Member

My screens get pretty sticky after about a week. Like a poster already said, they're pretty cheap if you don't want to go to the trouble of soaking them. If they get too gunked up I would imagine it would start to affect the airflow during the vapor stage.
  6. 5drive

5drive Slacker

The reason a vape screen lasts so long is because you're not torching it with a flame. If you want to use one a long time, then clean it with alcohol rather than burning it clean.
  7. KiNg KoNG

KiNg KoNG New Member

i let my screen soak in alcohol for a few hours then i have a old tooth brush i use to scrub them a few times and they are clean after i rinse it in the sink..
  8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

I use a screen in my vape until the edges get so frayed that I can't stir the bowl easily. I used to burn out my screens, but that blackened them and made them brittle. Now I use alcohol, dishwashing liquid, and an old toothbrush.
  9. GotLucy

GotLucy New Member

i just soak mine.
  10. Negation

Negation New Member

When mine get too beat up from poking at 'em with the stir needle that came with my DBV, I just throw them into the bottom of my Mendo Mulcher to pick up keif. I dump the remaining kief into a pollen press when it's time to clean the grinder, and then wash and save the residue from all the screens and the grinder with some iso alcohol. When everything's all sparkly clean, I just toss the screens. There's no reason whatsoever to keep a screen after it's been pummeled, the things cost like 10 cents, plus a clean screen makes for some really nice vapor.
    4 people like this.