Seeds Through Mail Seized by USA Customs

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mariner, Sep 26, 2003.

1. mariner

mariner New Member

A friend wanted me to post for him. He ordered some seeds from Amsterdam. They came in a discreet pacakge but USA Customs still opened it up and took out the seeds. Also, a note was written saying "There were illegal materials found in this shipment, we have seized it."

Nothing else was said or written.

Anyone ever encounter this before? Can you get in trouble for ordering seeds? Or do you get put into some national database or some sort? My friend's getting sorta paranoid about it, even though he doesn't even grow. He did ship it to his home address, however. Thanks in advance...
  2. innervision311

innervision311 New Member

As far as I know anything that tests positive for THC is considered illegal (so our brains would be illegal because they naturally produce THC :rolleyes: ) but seeds usually don't have ANY THC in them and it's only illegal to germinate them. If seeds were illegal, then those candy bars covered with hemp seeds would be too...it doesn't sound like they had the right to take those.

I don't know if customs checks stuff from Canada but you can order seeds from there too. One site I know of to buy seeds from Canada is thcseeds.com

Your friend shouldn't have anything to worry about IMO. Only people that will bust you for growing personal stuff USUALLY are local cops. Customs probably wouldn't report your friend to your local police.
  3. reworg

reworg New Member

Could you please scan the note and post it up as an attachment. I would be interested to see this. Blot all personal info (name, addy, phone, etc...). Also, did he pay with credit card, cash, check or money order? It's not that I don't believe the story...Just want to see the facts for myself to satisfy parinoia.
  4. mariner

mariner New Member

I believe my friend quickly threw everything away. There was no personal note, it was just a photocopied statement from Customs. He said that the note said, "because part of the shipment was not illegal, we are letting you have that part" or something like that...
  5. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Yes, if you buy seeds regularly or are around folk that do, you run across the customs letter. Marijuana seeds are illegal in the U.S.
    The letter is a form letter used for other things besides marijuana seeds as well, I believe.

I haven't heard of anything happening besides having the seeds confiscated and the letter sent, but I have no idea if you would be put on a "to watch" list. I somehow think they have bigger fish to fry than somebody buying a ten pack or two of seeds.

It is also illegal to grow hemp in most of the U.S. of A., but we can import the hemp products and sell them (after an import tax, I am sure). Wouldn't want that money to stay in country, that makes too much sense.

Peace,
    Plains
  6. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

Your brain does not naturally produce THC. It does, however, produce chemicals similar to it (e.g., anandamide).

If the cannabis seeds are not sterilized, then they are illegal.

If they are sterile, then it's legal for you to possess them.
  7. mariner

mariner New Member

thanks for the info people. i will be sure to inform my friend right away.
  8. Herb Ninja

Herb Ninja Seasoned Activist

I hope your not stating that as certain fact. :rolleyes:
  9. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

^

If the cannabis seeds are not sterilized, then it's illegal to possess them.

It's like having a bag of bud. Even if you were just going to stare at it, and not smoke it, that would still be illegal.

"No officer, I'm not gonna smoke this. I, uh, like to collect samples. Yeah, that's it!" :indiffere
  10. kriptonchronic

kriptonchronic New Member

dude, what site was it. it could be a rip off. like the seed company ripped you off and made all the money from the sale...

on the internet... DONT TRUST ANYONE
  11. PsYcHoLoGiCaL

PsYcHoLoGiCaL Seasoned Activist

I remember seeing something on a TV newscast saying that importing seeds was a misdemeanor offense, and then once you plant them it becomes a more serious crime. But the matter of if they would actually charge you it is another issue. This also might vary from state to state, and I could be wrong all together.
  12. DeathDealer

DeathDealer New Member

Where did you order it from? Im sure that if customs actually found it they would have you arrested, they wouldnt just say oh well just take them and leave a note saying that they are illegal. Maybe the place just does that so they dont have to actually sell the seeds and they can keep your money like someone else already said.
  13. Niteshift

Niteshift L.E.O. in Good Standing

It could be a scam or it could be real.

Just because they intercepted the seeds doesn't mean Customs will make the arrest. In many cases, depending on the amount and where they were actually seized, making the arrest would be more of a pain in the butt than it is worth.

Don't forget, sometimes US Customs inspects shipments before they actually enter the US.
  14. buzzmobile

buzzmobile Member

From the sister site perspective

I spend most of my time on the cultivation site. I just wanted to share with you all that there are many instances of self-same Customs letters described over there as well. I don't think it's a scam. Customs is simply the "blind hog rooting up acorns" many times because of the volume of tasks involved with their job description.

Be thankful that they don't have the time to mess around with stoners such as ourselves.

Greetings, Niteshift long time reader first time poster. Be careful out there. A fellow Floridian who cares,

buzzmobile:D
  15. roaddogg420

roaddogg420 New Member

I order my seeds from original sensible seeds co.http://original-ssc.com/have made a few orders and have not had a problem with this. shipping is fast and cheap too. I live in the US on the east coast and get my orders in 5 to 7 days. check them out they are cheap and have a great selection.