Smoking Bud in your house

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by bighomey55, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bighomey55

bighomey55 Banned

what if someone calls the cops saying there's drug activity in ur household, cop shows up . and he smells that california cronic. what are the odds of somthing happening. what rights u got on him searching. doesnt he have to have a search warrant?...cant u do what u want in ur house?..ur not disturbing or drivng?....what are the odds of a cop showing up at a house if he gets a call saying there's drug activity?...what are the laws about being underaged..home along smokin...thanks
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

In 49 states it's illegal to smoke marijuana in your own house. The exception is Alaska.

If the police get a call that there is illegal activity going on in your house they will investigate. They can come to your door and knock. If you open the door and they see drugs or drug paraphernalia or smell marijuana smoke, that provides probable cause that a crime is being committed. To prevent you from destroying evidence they may enter at that point. While detaining you they'll get a search warrant.

Without probable cause or a search warrant the police may not enter your house unless you invite them in.

I don't understand the question.
  3. CheebaMonkey

CheebaMonkey Sr. Member

Your profile says you're 50 years old. Why exactly would you be worried about being charged with underage smoking?
  4. fight4rights

fight4rights Activist

You must be worried about you kid, right bighomey55? ;) ;) {Nudge, Nudge}

Anyway, why don't you ask Phuzz01 or Nightshift, our two police officers (that we know of) who give excellent advice. Check out the sticky at the top of this board. Phuzz01 has already made a thread that you can ask this question on. Ask there.
  5. bighomey55

bighomey55 Banned

hmmm

well i know what he can do, if he has suspesion that there are drugs being used ( marijuana)....waht would happen, lets say im sitting in my house smoking a bowl, cop knocts on my door. i answer and he obviously knows im smoking bud in my house. whats gonna happen. what will he prob do?..i never have over a ounce. i live in ca....i mean, i aint disturbing the peice . im smokin in my own house. i have nothing to hide. i'll tell him striaght up, im smoking a bowl in my own house, i just got off work, is this a big deal?...
  6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Most of your questions were answered in my first reply to the question.

Possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is a misdemeanor in California. There is no prison time and a maximum of a $100 fine. For a first offense you will not get a criminal record. It's like a traffic ticket.

Enforcement varies from place to place - I can't tell you how it's enforced in your area. What the officer would do depends on a lot of things, from nothing to confiscating your weed to giving you a summons to appear in court. For less than an ounce you can't be arrested.
  7. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

He has probable cause to arrest you.
  8. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

No he doesn't...he has probable cause to write him a ticket. In california, you cannot be "arrested" for possession of less than an oz of marijuana...he can write him a ticket, but he won't be arrested.
  9. everydayhigh

everydayhigh New Member

thoses people who called ["our finest"] yeah right, are snitches.they're mad cause u ain't smokin' wit them. u betta make sure the boys in blue are't watching ur crib for some apparent reason or under survailance,if so ur ****ed. and for that they don't need a warrant i think!!!!!!!!
  10. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

This post is simply rediculous. you obviously don't have a clue as to what your rights are concerning searches, or of the law in general. Warrents are needed for all but a very few situations. Survalliance or being watched does NOT exempt the police from needing a warrent whatsoever. :rolleyes:
  11. grillmeats

grillmeats No Longer Active

What Country?

What kind of jibbirish is this.
    If you are under age, you got lucky.
    GM
  12. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

and a Cop knocked because . . .

Cop knocks at your door randomly? I don't think so. A police officer's only going to make contact with you for some reason - loud music, neighbor's complaint, an investigation - and that is what he/she will want to discuss with you. That you just smoked a bowl is going to put you in an awkward position because some other asshattery has brought them to you. The first step is to pass the attitude test - and that means don't dish out the attitude.

You might not believe this but the average police officer is not that interested in minor league dope-smoking. Frankly, they are pretty busy, given the limited budgets most departments have, and often collateral duties (training officer, union steward, committee member) that take their time. So they have priorities and Weed is generally not one of them.

Here's a good rule of thumb: keep your smoking on the down low, don't commit other asshattery, be a good neighbor and you will never have trouble with the police and pot in your home.
  13. grillmeats

Bart Is Right

Unless You are underage!
  14. CardBoardBox

CardBoardBox New Member

I kinda had the same paranoid question of my own. What if I was smoking pot in my house, and the pohpoh show up? But then I thought...

"Spray BF's axe or my own perfume." " Burn insence and open a window" "Hotbox my closet and burn a single insent in there"

Why would cops jus show up? And unless they smell it on you, or in the house, they have no reason to serch. And as far as I know as long as they dont know your home you can just not answer the door. xD
  15. grillmeats

Just Be Normal

Loud Music and people walking around the neighborhood, creates phone calls to the police. Be cool, as I know you are card board boxx, and you'll never need to know the answer.
    GM
  16. bighomey55

bighomey55 Banned

hmm

oyeah, im tottaly cool with neighbors, but we do have cop callers. like peps who just like to call the cops all the time , its weird. yea, i was kinda thinkin on same boat. actually im a minor living on my own, because my dads dead and moms a apeice of ****, never had a job in her life, and cant suuport ONE of her 3 kids. lol....so i live by myself, im still in process getting emancipated...but yea, im just thinking im in truancy of not being in school also, lol....so i dont want them to go some way with that and screw everything i got going for myself.
  17. grillmeats

bighomey55

I feel sorry about your lifestyle, but we all must adhere to the rules off this community. If you feel you need help from your mom, call social services.
    GrillMeats
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.