smoking weed, is that a sin?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by kingkron, Aug 31, 2010.

1. kingkron

kingkron New Member

i am a christian, i read the bible, i've been attending church for 8 years, and i do smoke weed. most of my christian friends know that i smoke weed and they consider it as, "a sin". and i do not think smoking weed is a sin. first off, god created weed, if it's a sin, why would he have created it? hmm. i know everyone that smokes weed has heard that at least once before. but the bible doesn't mention that weed is bad.

here's a song that talks about smoking weed and praising god.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkaNB8nVLE0"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

this is something to think about. a great topic to discuss with friends. please don't be judgmental on my beliefs :)
  2. BuddhaDawg

BuddhaDawg New Member

Sin and legality are often mixed in the church.

Drugs are bad, therefore a sin.

Many protestant churches see alcohol in the same vain.
    2 people like this.
  3. kingkron

kingkron New Member

yeah i guess you're right, well some ones always got to sin for something fun. lol
  4. solomons_lion

solomons_lion New Member

Think about it, most things that are modern ways of having fun, sex, drugs, video games, alcohol, etc are sins in the church. I went to a catholic church for a while then went to a lutheran. The catholic preacher told me i need a complete re-vamp of my life because apparently i was "stuck in the clutches of satan" because i was 18 and smoking weed, drinking, and having sex. There is a christian sect that professes the holy sacrament IS marijuana (i belive it is called coptic christianity). I have thought "that the burning bush" biblical story is actually reference to marijuana. The lutheran pasture said to me, id rather have you using marijuana than drinking, because he is actually educated on the matter. He did not refer to it as sin either. I guess a lot depends on your denomination. So, blow all the dro you want man, God or Jesus dont give a flying spaghetti monster about it.
    2 people like this.
  5. kingkron

kingkron New Member

yeah i grew up in a catholic church, but i've never attended a lutheran church. isnt coptic christianity more towards egypt and their beliefs? or is it just like being a christian but with marijuana isn't a sin?
  6. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

None of those things is considered to be a sin in most churches. It's the inappropriate, hurtful, or obsessive use of them that's sinful.
    2 people like this.
  7. BuddhaDawg

BuddhaDawg New Member

Some kinds of sex are considered sinful. Homosexual, masturbation, anal and oral sex are considered sinful by various Christian sects. Premarital sex is considered a sin.

Drugs are definitely considered a sin unless properly given to you by your doctor and big pharma... the exception to that are the Christian Scientist idiots who believe prayer will do the trick and little Timmy does not need any medical intervention.

Some churches have said that violent video games are sinful. I remember when I was a kid hearing that Dungeons & Dragons was Satanic.

A lot of churches are against the use of alcohol. I have heard many times that alcohol is the "Devil's Brew".

Only if we could go back in time and give Paul and Augustine a big bitch-slap. They have caused thousands of years of people hating their own bodies, not enjoying life and treating women like second class citizens. But I will digress before get too much into the subject of Christianity.

America is one backassward country chopped full of religiosity...I blame existential insecurity but that is another topic.
    4 people like this.
  8. demonic

demonic Sr. Member

6 people like this.
  9. kingkron

kingkron New Member

10. Le0n

Le0n New Member

And when are all of you going to realize this?
  11. Balabeezy

Balabeezy Sr. Member

I'll answer it!

Look if you are smoking weed for the wrong reasons and you feel convicted of that then it is a sin, but if you smoke it for the reasons on it's true intent then it is not a sin. Just because man considers marijuana a drug that does not mean when the bible talks about drugs they are referring to marijuana. Another thing when people say follow the law of the land they do not understand that God was saying follow that law because it was not bad, in other words he means follow it if it is good for the right intentions. Hope you learn something from this, it has taken me much time to realize certain things, such as all of this even though I am young much time to me is different in my mind, back on topic Weed is a healing flower at the end of the day, and God saw what he made and said it was Good!
    2 people like this.
  12. BuddhaDawg

BuddhaDawg New Member

Relativist sin.
  13. demonic

demonic Sr. Member

Honestly, if it is a sin, whatever is meant to happen, happens. If you're meant to smoke weed and it's a sin or not... it's still gonna happen and things are still gonna end up the way they were intended to.
  14. BuddhaDawg

BuddhaDawg New Member

Predestination?
  15. demonic

demonic Sr. Member

16. BuddhaDawg

BuddhaDawg New Member

So it is written, so shall it be done?

Well, if that is the case then we have a very crappy screenwriter.
    4 people like this.
  17. Le0n

Le0n New Member

It is funny isnt it....

Predestination is laughable, free will is the stronger philosophy.

And yet evolutionary science of the mind dictates pre-determined actions, thus abandoning freewill. However predestination is still ludercrous.

It makes me, confused!
    2 people like this.
  18. demonic

demonic Sr. Member

We have the illusion of free will..

In generative philosophy of cognitive sciences and evolutionary psychology, free will is assumed not to exist. However, an illusion of free will is created, within this theoretical context, due to the generation of infinite or computationally complex behaviour from the interaction of a finite set of rules and parameters. Thus, the unpredictability of the emerging behaviour from deterministic processes leads to a perception of free will, even though free will as an ontological entity is assumed not to exist. In this picture, even if the behavior could be computed ahead of time, no way of doing so will be simpler than just observing the outcome of the brain's own computations.

As an illustration, some strategy board games have rigorous rules in which no information (such as cards' face values) is hidden from either player and no random events (such as dice rolling) occur in the game. Nevertheless, strategy games like chess and especially Go, with its simple deterministic rules, can have an extremely large number of unpredictable moves. By analogy, "emergentists" suggest that the experience of free will emerges from the interaction of finite rules and deterministic parameters that generate infinite and unpredictable behaviour. Yet, if all these events were accounted for, and there were a known way to evaluate these events, the seemingly unpredictable behavior would become predictable.
    2 people like this.
  19. Le0n

Le0n New Member

So its predestination then?
  20. demonic

demonic Sr. Member