Smoking Weed vs. School Grades

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by CanadaBoy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy New Member

Hey guys,

I was curious what kind of positive/negative effects marijuana has had on your education, specifically those in college/university in programs that require critical thinking like science/engineering.

~Cheers!
  2. N0TaCRIMINAL

N0TaCRIMINAL New Member

marijuana has helped my study habits greatly. before i started to use marijuana i'd had erradic insomnia, causing strain on my grades. since i started using it to help me sleep i've brought my gpa up.7 and have a more active social life.
    2 people like this.
  3. OldTimeToker

OldTimeToker Sr. Member

It all depends on the person. Does weed make you smarter? No...

Does it make you relax and calm your mind? Yes.

I wouldnt suggest studying while high just because most people get that "nothing fucking matters" attitude and will probably blow off studying in general.

This isnt everyone though and I smoked all through college and still made straight A's but again...everyones different. I never studied WHILE high, but I did smoke in the afternoon after a long day of cramming information in my brain!

This is just my opinion and some people say it helps them greatly... but if you have trouble paying attention while your high I would save your fun for break time!
    2 people like this.
  4. emuhhleee

emuhhleee emtard smash!

it's not because of pot, but once i got into homeschooling, my grades have been really good. i don't like math when i'm high because it's just a big bubble of confusion, but i really like reading & writing when i'm high. i seem to be more detailed & proficient with my grammar & punctuation.

science is awesome when i'm stoned! same with health or human anatomy... so interesting. i never really liked getting high when i went to public school because i would be kind of freaked out with all the people, plus i felt like my high was being wasted because NOTHING cool would ever happen at school.
    3 people like this.
  5. Tokeo

Tokeo New Member

I, personally have always been good at school work. Not to brag, but throughout most of my academic life I have pulled A's. When I started smoking I had this fear that it would affect my education, but infact it hasn't. Not one bit. Some say it improves them, others say it hurts them, but for me it's just another thing I do to fill my free time. Video games never affected my education, so why would smoking? I can see how for some people, mental addiction could affect it, however. The only time it ever affected me school-wise was the day after the first time I did it all I could think about was how amazing it had been. That caused severe lack of focus, haha, but now that it's not a big deal, everything is completely normal.

I forgot to mention that I'm a weekend smoker, which is definitely something I suggest if you should be studying or the like during the week. Sometimes I'll break my own rules and smoke during the week, but ONLY if I have nothing important to do that day or the next day (I feel tired and out of it the day after getting really high).
    2 people like this.
  6. jdogg2112

jdogg2112 Sr. Member

I'm studying engineering, and the only semester I smoked every day is the only semester I got a 4.0.

There's no causation there, though. It's just because I remained responsible about my work.
    2 people like this.
  7. Maine207420

Maine207420 New Member

I'm in the same situation as Takeo. All throughout school I've been getting what most people would consider good to great grades. It wasn't until this year that I really started to smoke weed. Since I have, though, my grades have stayed exactly the same. It is junior year, so my classes have become quite a bit harder, but I'm still doing fine. I've heard marijuana is supposed to effect your math abilities, but I've been doing the same as I always have in math. In my opinion, it hasn't had any negative effects on me.
    2 people like this.
  8. A2hempchild

A2hempchild New Member

Depends on the person. If you want school to remain the top priority in your life and do well and all that, make sure to use weed responsibly.

I'm studying engineering right now. I tend to use weed at the end of the day when I'm done with all of my studying and homework. I don't let weed become the center of my life. That is just the key. Don't become lazy and just keep up your work ethic.

Good luck and good smoking.
    4 people like this.
  9. 024

024 Sr. Member

I would never study while high, what a waste... Marijuana is a treat, using it to help you study/work is just silly and abusive. I would use it for recreational or medical use not to help me write that essay etc.

I hope you find a healthy balance between smoking and school. I am trying to do that right now :p
    2 people like this.
  10. Lukeaxx

Lukeaxx Sr. Member

I wouldn't say Marijuana improved my studies because well, it didn't and I'm not going to lie. But it also didn't make my studies worse.

It didn't effect my studies whatsoever ;)
    2 people like this.
  11. strutinshizz

strutinshizz Sr. Member

It affects you if you let it rule over school, you have to keep you´re priorities straight and marijuana should never be a priority especially over you´re education.
    I only smoke at the end of the day after I have done what I need to do, if I dont have time for marijuana I do not do something just so I can toke at the end of the day.
    Basically like a2hempchild said never let the weed be the center things get priorities over weed, weed doesnt get priorities, at least thats how it works with me, when you start prioritizing weed then you have a problem and should leave the green ;)
    2 people like this.
  12. mr dylan

mr dylan New Member

since i started smoking my marks have increased by 10%
  13. CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy New Member

Thanks everyone, some good points :)
  14. cj117

cj117 Surfer Monkey

I hypothesized once on how weed could potentially help your studying skills; given that the brain utilizes a method called "State Dependent Learning". If you take a hit or two for a buzz and then study, you can focus without being overburdened by the fogginess in thought that can occur when you're high.

Before a test, take a hit or two and watch how all the answers come flooding into your brain.
    It worked for me.

THen again, I have ADHD, so.... maybe it's just my brain.
  15. saint431

saint431 New Member

It has actually allowed me to be better with my study habits and what not. If I don't smoke for a while (couple of moths) I become extremely lazy and obnoxious with my school work. Like I just don't want to study any more and my mind always figures out something better to do. Or I say to myself oh I'll do it in a couple of hours and don't get it done till the night before. If I just smoke a fair amount by myself or with my friends (.8-1.5g) a month I'm set for school and I get things done faster and better. I don't know why it works with me like that. But I see it as a good thing personally.
  16. Nick-ay

Nick-ay New Member

I began smoking in high school. All through out elementary, middle, and high school, I had excellent grades. I usually had all A's on my report cards, was a member of National Honor Society, Student Council, and graduated with high honors. So during high school, marijuana didn't effect my grades.

My college experience has been a little different. My freshman year was no good. I started the year off wrong by getting arrested for underage drinking my first night. That, along with the fact that I actually had to work for my grades in college, and the immense freedom I had, my grades were awful. They got a little better the second semester but I was still forced to take summer classes to return for Fall '09.

My sophomore year has been much better. I didn't miss a class the entire semester, got what I would consider decent grades, and still smoked the ganja at least 2-3 times a day. I don't really think weed effects my grades....its just another thing that I do. They freedom associated with college (which allowed me to smoke a lot of weed whenever I wanted) and the complete change from high school made my grades something to not be desired. But now that I know what to expect from college, everything is back to normal. :)
  17. Pass the Marijuana

Pass the Marijuana New Member

Actually weed helps me with my grades because i learn better when im high.
  18. locket

locket Oodalolly

It's completely individual in my opinion.
  19. imagine27pce

imagine27pce New Member

all about priorities
  20. Lion of Judah

Lion of Judah Sr. Member

I didn't smoke while in school. This year will mark 5 years out of HS, and 2 years of smoking.

In those 2 years I have had more of a desire to read and watch documentaries. I will read/watch just about any topic (religion, politics, tech, etc). To put the open-mindedness I have gained into perspective, I'm currently reading 4 books simoltaniously. In school I would barely make it through one (unless I really fancied it). I have probably gained more in 2 years by learning on my own as opposed to the 14 years of schooling. And thats the best thing I like about herb. Its opened my mind far beyond what any teacher was capable of. I've also become more opinionated (really quiet in school) and likely to speak up.

Now I am by no means saying drop out of school, light up that joint, and get cracking on your own. All I am merely saying is the great benefit herb has given, and I am now wishing I had it while in school. Probably would of done better (not that I did bad anyhow).