Smoking with ACID REFLUX/HEARTBURN

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by pork917, May 3, 2003.

1. pork917

pork917 New Member

Well if you saw my post earlier, I basically had no idea
    why I couldnt smoke anymore without having severe
    stomach pains and nasue. I found out this week from
    the doctor i have acid reflux and heartburn, which is
    basically the reason of not being able to smoke. I can
    now take about 4 rolaids before i smoke and i feel no
    pain at all, but when they wear off i feel the pain. I know
    this is probally burning a whole in my stomach, but i will
    be getting a prescription next week. Since i cannot ask
    my doctor, I was wondering if it would still cause more
    damage to my stomache when i am under the prescription,
    as i wont be able to feel the pain. Any help is appreciated!

2. EeJay

EeJay Senior Member

What are "rolaids"?

Why can't you ask your doctor? He's probably the best person to ask. A lot of people here have told their doctor about their smoking, and I don't think i've ever heard of the doctor dobbing anyone in, the worst that could happen is they'll tell you, you shouldn't smoke. In your case, it does sound quite important that you discuss your problem honestly with your doctor.

You have to realise that because a pain is numbed, it doesn't mean damage isn't happening. For this reason, I don't really like using quite a few medications, from headache medicine to cough treatments, but I still do sometimes. Some do have actual benefits other than numbing the irratation/pain, though.

3. pork917

pork917 New Member

Rolaids is an antiacid for heartburn like Tums. I know I
    should tell him, but when he asked I said no because I
    feared he might tell my parents who were outside. I am
    over 18 but they see him as well and fear he might say
    somthing. I guess i will have to say somthing when i see him

4. Qwel

Qwel New Member

If you are 18 you are no longer a minor. Your doctor can't tell your parents anything without your consent or he is breaking the doctor/patient confidentiality agreement.:chokin:

5. Grapefruity

Grapefruity New Member

eh...smoking pot seems to sooth my heartburn usually...and you can ask your doctor, hes a doc not a police officer :p

6. Untitled

Untitled New Member

I have acid reflux, though, it's due to stress, the good old marijuana usually helps with the stress and the pain. though i'm taking this medicine, it supposedly heals all of it, instead of rolaids, pecid ac and others that just get rid of the pain for the time being. i forgot the actualy name of the prescription, should go downstairs to find the bottle, but just ask your doc, he'll probably know of some prescriptions of the sort.

good luck, i recommend using 3 pillows to sleep, if you can.

later

7. G33k$m0k3r420

G33k$m0k3r420 New Member

Seriously, I think the heartburn you get when you smoke MJ is when you eat too much, because you don't realize how much you have eaten when you have the munchies.

I only get heartburn when I eat too much after toking, so I figured this would make sense.

8. pork917

pork917 New Member

Marijuana Effects on Acid Reflux

I have Acid Reflux, and before i was taking medication
    whenever i would smoke it would make me neasuas as
    hell, and basically make me vomit for about an hour.
    I never had any problems with marijuana until my
    heartburn problems started. Now i am on a temporary
    prescription, Ranitidine until my blood work and urinalysis
    are done. My question is what are the effects of smoking
    marijuana on acid reflux and heartburn. I dont understand
    why this would affect my stomach problems as it has, and
    fear it will only do more damage. I will have a certain answer
    when i see my doctor in a few weeks, but wanted to see
    if anyone knew anything about this or could provide me
    any information. I tried smoking while on the prescription,
    but i still got stomach pains and slight neasua, but not the
    whole effect as without the medication as i didnt feel the
    need to vommit, but still i dont want to smoke if it will cause
    further damage to my body. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

9. AnarchistBarbie

AnarchistBarbie New Member

Smoking definitely irritates my acid reflux when it flares up, but when I've gotten it under control, and my esophagous is healed up, it doesn't seem to bother it at all. Maybe you should try laying off the smoke until you aren't experiencing symptoms of acid reflux, and see if you still have difficulty with smoking?

Many physicians have a knee-jerk reaction to questions about marijuana and health - there really isn't much clinical information available to them either, and last time I checked doctors are just as human as the rest of us - and just as prone to buying into anti-cannabis propaganda.

10. Chiksic

Chiksic New Member

I noticed that recently I've gotten hartburn along with my high. I don't get it when I don't smoke, though, so who knows. It might be something about my weed, too, because I got it off a new dealer. I don't know.

11. Daintysquid

Daintysquid New Member

I have had some severe heartburn and it suxs, i haven't really figgered out what is causing it at the moment but i wish it would just piss off.

12. j2krj

j2krj New Member

I got heartburn once while high, it was absolutely the worst feeling ever. That same night I also had laid out on the golf course with friends and when I got home I realized that a few ants had crawled right up my size and bit me a dozen times. Needless to say, I was very confused and unhappy that night

13. theboog

theboog New Member

i'm not a doctor but the only way i see i affecting your stomach is when you smoke pot it gives you the "munchies" which i think acts up the acid in your stomach, which would give you more heartburn, again im not a doctor this is just what i think i have no scientific proof to back this up
    lol

14. Chumbuster

Chumbuster New Member

From what i am told by my doctor is that heartburn can be caused from excessive coughing. I know that i do cough alot and it has apparently caused a deformation of the flap that closes and opens the entrance to the stomach. This is making the acid come up because the flap is not closing properly. I am sure plenty of you guys, if you think about it, can probably feel this flap thing if u do have a problem with it. It makes alot of sense to me and im pretty sure thats the main reason why i get cronic heartburn, aswell as stress. Also when i stress i tend to suck my gut in without knowing which probably helps the heartburn.

The only thing that helps me out properly is taking 2 or 3 Tums aswell as 1 Zantac. Zantac stops heartburn for 12 hours by coating the stomach with whatevers in it which somehow tells your stomach to stop making any more acid. The tums bring the acid levels down while the zantac kicks in. :hail: Zantac Tums combo

15. Bud Is good

Bud Is good Resident non smoker

Smoking, eating stuff like certain fruit, orange juice, coffee, tomatoes, and more..Do not help with acid reflux and can make it worse...