Speech on Legalizing Marijuana

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by davidmtml, Oct 31, 2005.

1. davidmtml

davidmtml New Member

For my public speaking class in college, I have to give a 6-8 minute persuasive speech, and I have decided to do mine on legalizing marijuana. I need to have three main topics in the speech. So far I'm thinking on using 1. The cost of the war on drugs (I've heard $12 billion) 2. A few of the common myths about marijuana. 3. ?

Any ideas on other main topics? Maybe I shouldn't even use the ones I have. Also, what order do you think I should do these in? I'm also looking for some good research. Most of the stuff I have found on the web does not list their sources very well.

So basically I have an idea about what I want to do, but would love some input from you guys...what do you think?
  2. chadwilsonx

chadwilsonx New Member

I think your main point so far (about the US Govt wasting millions of dollars a year arresting people for oftentimes simply possession) is a very good point that almost everybody can identify with. Nobody likes the government spending more money, especially if it is for pointless ends. Our prisons wouldn't be full of innocent people and instead would make room for actually dangerous criminals. On this same vain, you could talk about how if marijuana was legalized then it could be regulated and taxed, making the sale of it safer while creating revenue for the government.

You could also bring up other countries/cities (Canada and Amsterdam come to mind) that have decriminalized marijuana and talk about how crime has gone down.

You could talk about how it is hypocritical to have alcohol and tobacco, etc legalized when they are more dangerous drugs.

You could talk about the benefits of marijuana itself. It's help in treating glaucoma, etc. Or just generally about helping people unwind and relieve stress. Also, talk about how it can inspire creativity in peoples' minds.

Make sure in your speech to address and refute counterrarguments like "marijuana will cause people to become addicted" and "marijuana is a gateway drug"

This is a lot of rambling but there are some good points in here that you can research and form a coherent, persuasive argument.
  3. UberDouche

UberDouche New Member

I would recommend not trying to refute common myths unless you have done your research very well, and can cite very strong sources.

As for those sources, your school should have access to a very large database of scientific articles and whatnot. Ours is EBSCO Host, and you probably have the same, although there are many others. Go to the library.
  4. MadeInChernobyl

MadeInChernobyl New Member

Ideas

This is a speech I did to leagalize all drugs you can take some of these ideas.:wave: I was for it by the way.

I)Economic

A. Who is making money? Criminals are.
    1. If Criminals have money, criminals have more power.
    B. If 6% of continental U.S. grew hemp this would solve U.S. energy problems
    1. Use hemp oil, and proteins. Burning hemp with no oxygen creates methanol.

II) Political

A. Makes sense for pharmaceutical c.e.o.’s to make drugs illegal.
    1. Gives them more power and they produce synthetic drugs, and make money through those patents.
    a) Marinol: Synthetic THC
    2. Abe Lincoln said prohibition will do more damage than the
    substance.
    III) Safety

A. Keeping that much money in illegal drugs and criminals will have an effect an the safety of our communities.
    B. Keeping drugs illegal supports terrorism.
    1. Afghanistan’s production of opium is at an all time high
    IV) Medical
    A. Cocain and coca leafs have been used since asian times.
    1. Coca leafs in tea expand arteries and help cardiovascular diseases.
    2. Heroin is a natural anesthetic as well as having anti depressant and anti anxiety properties.

Conclusion

responsibility and abuse.
  5. GanjaGirl420

GanjaGirl420 Banned

6. troublemaker420

troublemaker420 New Member

Don;t go on figures you've "heard"...if you are going to address the costs, make sure you back up what you say. In fact, that goes for everything in your speech....find cold, hard facts that cannot be disputed, and stick to them. If and when you compare and contrat marijuan to alcohol or tobacco, be sure to point out the number of deaths caused by all 3 substances annually....marijuana, of course, will be zero, while the figures about the other two are enough to scare anyone.

Remember, stick to things you can PROVE....heresay and whatnot may support your argument, but your argument is only as good as the truth which it is based on. if it cannot be proven (or disproven) don't bother putting it in your speech.
  7. MadeInChernobyl

MadeInChernobyl New Member

search any of those points in the rough outline and and you should be able to easily find a source that is credible. yes, zero deaths compared to any other subsance is the most helpful in convincing those fence sitters IMHO
  8. iamskfan

iamskfan [URL="http://www.ediblemj.com"]Medical Marijuana E

The Time magazine article I put a thread about is a good source. It is the November 4, 2002 issue of Time. The article is called "Is America Going to Pot" It has a lot of facts and issues and such....maybe go to your library and look for that article.

Here is the thread in the forum...has a link to a bit of the article online...http://420.marijuana.com/showthread.php?t=36189
  9. Dank Nugz

Dank Nugz New Member

My best advice is to make sure you have good hard evidence to support your paper. If you go on life experience too much or anything that isn't concrete, people will find it easy to shoot down your claim. If you put in hard evidence from credible sources, such as Marijuanas death rate compared to other drugs, your argument will be much more persuasive.
  10. davidmtml

davidmtml New Member

I realize that I should have good credible sources...but, this is a very informal class. We don't even have to hand in our sources :D I could just make stuff completely up, and make up sources, and she would never know. I am sure that she does not check the sources...because there's basically no way that she can.

Thanks everyone for your ideas so far. Keep 'em comin' :)
  11. SkinnyP

SkinnyP New Member

No matter how informal the class you should still do this speech the right way. On one hand, just going up infront of the class saying, "Marijuana has never killed anyone" makes you look just as stupid as all the college kids who give persuasive speeches about how the drinking age should be lowered. On the other hand you can go up and say, "According to Harvard University there have been 0 deaths worldwide from marijuana use in contrast to X number of deaths from legal drugs," and this will make you look like an intelligent marijuana user.

Sometimes its better to arise to the occasion than just slip by with what is acceptable.
  12. rhyax

rhyax New Member

here's a speech I wrote several years ago on the same topic...at the very least, you might get something from the links at the bottom of the page

Cannabis: A Refutation

Called Hashish by the ancient scholars of Byzantium, Bhang by the Hindu priests of old India, Ganja by the Rastafarian mystics of the Caribbean, Herb by the brilliant beat poet Allen Ginsberg and Dope by the Drug Enforcement Administration of America, today it is most commonly referred to as Marijuana. The term Marihuana originates from the Mexican name popularized by the US ‘drug czar’ Henry Anslinger in an attempt to cultivate a negative stereotype between Marihuana and the growing number of Mexican immigrants.[1] Marijuana, the flower bud of a Cannabis sativa, Cannabis indica or Cannabis ruderalis plant and any combinations thereof, is the subject of this speech.

Since the introduction of the Controlled Substance Act in 1970, Marihuana has remained a Schedule I controlled substance, due to its “high potential for abuse and no recognized medical use.”[2]

No doubt every person in this room knows about Marijuana—or at least thinks they know. The fact is, through 40 years of irrational propaganda and subtle indoctrination, the truth of this plant is still unknown to many. As Allen Ginsberg put it, “The actual experience of the smoked herb has been completely clouded by a fog of dirty language by the diminishing crowd of fakers who have not had the experience and yet insist on being centers of propaganda about the experience.”[3] No doubt Ginsberg is referring to the lawmakers and their sycophantic affiliates who coerced into creation the oppressive laws and reefer madness we see today. Their rhetoric, at best cleverly manipulated and at worst entirely fabricated, consists of two main arguments against the use of Marihuana: it is harmful in a health perspective and, more importantly, a moral perspective.

Despite the inherent hypocrisy associated with controlling any substance based on purely health concerns (tobacco and alcohol, two far more debilitating products, are now being sold in record numbers), the Supreme Court had no qualms criminalizing marijuana in 1970. The three major claims of theirs, and their contemporaries, are as follows:

1. Marijuana causes permanent brain damage.

Response: The basis of this claim stems from an ‘experiment’ on two rhesus monkeys, with doses of THC (the primary psychoactive chemical in Marijuana) administered at more than two hundred times the level of standard intoxication on a human being. Observing minute structural changes to the brain, the scientists prematurely concluded that any amount of THC would lead to brain damage. This experiment provided the main scientific ‘evidence’ in the Supreme Court’s decision. However, it was later disproved in a similar experiment, with monkeys receiving the equivalent of 5 joints per day for one year (a still high, but much more realistic simulation of a heavy smoker). At the end of the experiment, the researchers found no change to the structure of the monkeys’ brains. Further experiments mirrored these results, thus discrediting the original experiment entirely.[4] Regardless of this, Marijuana still tops the Schedule I drugs list.

2. Marijuana is addictive.

Response: According to statistics of people who smoked marijuana, “National epidemiological surveys show that the large majority of people who have had experience with marijuana do not become regular users.”[5] Furthermore, it has been conclusively shown that, unlike cocaine or heroin, marijuana produces no physical addiction whatsoever.[6] Psychological dependence and withdrawal, varying greatly from person to person and usually only apparent with long-term use at high doses, are very mild compared to just about any other drug (comparable, for example, with sugar withdrawal).

3. Marijuana is a ‘Gateway Drug’ to more harmful substances.

Response: Despite the slippery slope fallacy in this claim, many people wrongly accept its validity. For eleven years after its creation in 1979, the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) supported this assertion.[7] In 1990, the HHS promptly changed its mind, presenting its findings that “Over time, there has been no consistent relationship between the use patterns of various drugs.”[8] Statistics show that while the majority of hard-drug users have used Marijuana, the vast majority of Marijuana users have not used other drugs.[9]

From a moralistic standpoint, things get trickier. Regardless of emerging evidence that this plant’s preconceived deadliness might not really be so deadly, a certain group of people still believes that Marijuana is essentially a bad thing founded on unethical values. They believe that even if Marijuana were proven utterly harmless, it should still be made illegal because of its mind-altering attributes. In my experience, the first people to judge Reefer this way are usually the last to try it themselves.

I absolutely agree with Ginsberg that, “Although most scientific authors who present their reputable evidence for the harmlessness of marijuana make no claim for its surprising usefulness, I do make that claim.”[10] The benefits of smoking marijuana only begin to start with recreational use, however.

Carl Sagan, who died in 1996, is now remembered as a world-renowned astronomer, pioneer (no, founder) of exobiology, brilliant professor at Harvard and Cornell Universities, Pulitzer laureate, and an avid Marijuana smoker and advocate for most of his life. As he put it, “The cannabis experience has greatly improved my appreciation for art… A very similar improvement in my appreciation of music has occurred with cannabis. For the first time I have been able to hear the separate parts of a three-part harmony and the richness of the counterpoint. I have since discovered that professional musicians can quite easily keep many separate parts going simultaneously in their heads, but this was the first time for me.”[11] Marijuana offers a glimpse of art with the perception of an artist. It allows us to hear music through the ears of a composer. A Ganja smoker can, if only for that timeless instant following inhalation, see through the eyes of God.

That group of people I was talking about—this is what they fear. They fear that potheads are loose parts clogging up the Great Machine. They fear that we might be outgrowing their Judeo-Christian cosmos—their puritan beliefs of reefer madness. But most of all, they fear that the common man might learn to think for himself. Because if there’s one side effect of Marijuana that afflicts me, it’s the abnormal ability to see through their haze.

C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana.

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Schedule_I_controlled_substances

[3] http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/004.html

[4] http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_myth8.shtml

[5] http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_myth9.shtml

[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

[7] National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Main Findings 1990; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

[8] http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_myth13.shtml

[9] op. cit.

[10] http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/004.html

[11] http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/002.html
  13. davidmtml

davidmtml New Member

Thank you guys all so much for your help...I'm just about done with my outline and preparing My speech. The only thing I'm still looking for is my final closing statement. What do you guys think would be a good sentence or two or three that would really leave an impact on the audience?

Thanks Again. You guys Rock :D
  14. IMHIGHRU

IMHIGHRU New Member

you could also say how, jamica and other countries where it is legal, the crime rate is lower than the ones where it is illigal, most of the time