Suddenly...intense panic/paranoia after smoking?

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by theganjagirl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. theganjagirl

theganjagirl New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here so a shoutout from the Midwest.

I guess I'll start right in. It's not uncommon for me to feel a little uneasy when I'm "coming up" on weed. But once I peak and start coming down, I feel absolutely wonderful. And I'm not a "noob", I've been smoking a few years now.

Lately, whenever I smoke...I get really paranoid. For instance, one time lately. I toked and freaked the HELL out for an hour and a half. Couldn't stop running my fingers through my hair, I felt dizzy, my breathing was shallow and my chest tightened. I felt like I could faint any minute and I was white as a sheet. I was seeing stars. I finally got the courage to get up and get a drink...big mistake...when the water hit my mouth, it launched a whole new panic attack and I started blacking out, the water felt weird in my mouth and I got chest pain. There I was again, another half hour, tossing and turning in bed and honestly thinking I was about to die.

I figured it was just a fluke. I smoked again. Same thing, except not as scary. Again. Same. At a friend's where I feel super comfortable. Same. With a close friend when I took a ONE TINY hit...SAME!

What on Earth could be causing this? Every time I smoke now, I freak. It started all of a sudden with no warning. Any idea on what is causing these panics? Will I ever be able to enjoy weed again?

For the record, everything's going right in my life, I've got a great job, friends, and family. I smoke in places where I'm comfortable. I pace myself and don't smoke too much. I'm sure I eat and drink something before I toke. I've tried different kinds of weed. And this still doesn't seem to help. Thanks for any advice.
  2. Grape_Tomato

Grape_Tomato New Member

I guess it isn't the weed if you tried different types. Have you tried different methods of smoking? Try vaping or brownies or something. I'm sure you could find a nice recipe online. I guess if that doesn't work try taking a break from weed for a few days or even weeks.
  3. Hellraz0r

Hellraz0r Sr. Member

I think perhaps a lot of why it's continuing to happen is because you're worrying about panicking, which causes the panicking itself. I know because I've been there, and the best thing to do is have a break for awhile, perhaps a few days to a week, and then gradually start smoking small amounts, get your body used of every little bit. I know you said you took one hit and panicked, but that's what you've got to teach your mind again - being able to handle it and not panic.

Easier said than done, I know, but that's all I can think of. And that's how I over came the very same problem, except I was worried about throwing up because I had a couple of bad sessions and ended up throwing up, and I HATE IT. So naturally I was always worried about throwing up everytime I had a sesh, but eventually I just overcame it because it didn't end up happening.
    2 people like this.
  4. pyromanizak

pyromanizak New Member

I think your mind is telling you its time to move on from marijuana. I felt the exact same thing as you recently, haven't smoked in a week or so, i constantly get panic attacks. Personally i believe i have some spiritual issues but yea.
  5. buddlydoright

buddlydoright New Member

Was this better weed then you normally smoke? If so then your probably just getting higher than your used to and therefore causing you to think more which in turns sends you into a panic attack? But, yea I think your thinking too much about it. I wouldn't even know where to begin to explain the first one but, the other panic attacks I think you set off on your own because of your worrying. No offense to you but, I've noticed that women worry about EVERYTHING! What I have learned in my 27 years is worrying does absolutely nothing to change the situation, so why do it? It just makes your more nuts and from your story is sending you into panic attacks for no reason. Do what others suggested and try another way to ingest the THC to see if that works.
  6. SaNcT17

SaNcT17 New Member

Its just a little anxiety. Try taking a break from smoking for a while. Say about a month or two. Find something to laugh at to prevent intrusive thoughts that might make you panic and start off small.