Swollen Uvula

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by FosterBoys, Aug 26, 2008.

1. FosterBoys

FosterBoys New Member

Has this ever happened to anyone else? My uvula swelled up so bad that it was lying down on my tongue. I freaked out, thinking that my throat was closing up, and went to see my doctor. He said that it could've been inflamed by an infection, but that it appeared to be burned. I thanked him, got my prescription, and got the hell out of there. I must've scorched my uvula the night before by inhaling too close to the flame.

I got lucky. NEVER go to the doctor for a swollen uvula (the hanging thingy in the back of your throat). They'll KNOW. My doctor never would've pegged me as a smoker so he dismissed it as a possibility.
  2. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

Your uvula often swells up when you have an infection, the same way your glands would. It's not only from smoking.
    Even if your doctor does know it's from smoking, so what?
  3. FosterBoys

FosterBoys New Member

I just prefer to keep some things private.
  4. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

What I mean is even if your doctor did know it was from smoking, who is to say it's from marijuana?
    And, your doctor cannot tell anyone, patient confidentiality, so it's not as if anyone else would know.
    2 people like this.
  5. Feorge Gorman

Feorge Gorman New Member

It's happened to me MANY times...and it always sucks! :rolleyes: You wake up in the morning, and it's just hanging there in your throat, like you have to hock up a big loogie that you can never spit out! Then it takes what seems like ALL DAY for the swelling to go down!

I have a tendency to snore, and although I've never discussed it with a doctor, I presume that's why it happens to me! :eek: THAT, in combination with smoking more than usual.

Try using 'Breathe Right Nasal Strips' before you go to bed. They work GREAT, and really help with that inflamed gollywhomper! :D
    4 people like this.
  6. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Interesting, this the first time we've heard of such anatomical dysfunction--though I gather what you're sayin is that it WAS due to your marijuana smoking too close proximity to the flame? correct? Pls note that fire is ~.> 500 degrees.
  7. FosterBoys

FosterBoys New Member

Yes, from smoking. You must not be a researcher of science to have never heard of this freakish anomaly. Tomorrow, I am going to stab myself in the neck with a fork while I'm eating, because, theoretically, I should've been more careful. Stay posted.
  8. Snipe¤Star

Snipe¤Star New Member

uuh ... ive smoked for years and never had a swollen uvula or any sort of similar symptom. im wondering how the hell you burned it- did you suck on a blowtorch or something? seriously- the thing is in the back of your throat- how the hell did you 'inhale too closely to the flame' ??? wouldnt you have burned the front of your mouth as well?
    2 people like this.
  9. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

It doesn't have to do with how close it is to the flame, it's just very hot air being inhale. You aren't technically "burning it" just inflaming it from the temperature. Just like biting into a very hot slice of pizza. You're not technically "burning" your tongue, but it sure feels like it
    2 people like this.
  10. Snipe¤Star

Snipe¤Star New Member

that i understand, i dont understand how the the air he was inhaling got so hot as to burn him. As i stated before, ive been smoking for several years now, pretty much daily, and ive never burned the inside of my mouth/throat like this. thats why im wondering if he used a blowtorch or something similar to light the weed and raise the temperate of the smoke so high as to be dangerous.
  11. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

Im guessing he got a little overzealous with one of his hits :p.
    Most people stop when it starts getting too hot....continuing I could see how it could get burned.
  12. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

Foster you are evidently just making up stories on this website online---no one here has ever had their uvula burnt while toking. This lends credence to the fact that your story is just fictitious. Maybe you should go post it in the Entertainment forum.
  13. FosterBoys

FosterBoys New Member

Damn. You caught me. OK, but now that it's over with, here's the video that I really wanted you to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyC-v3CNvfw&feature=related"]YouTube - Wouldn't It Be Nice If Marijuana Was Decriminalized[/ame]
  14. toothfairy420

toothfairy420 Stoner Chique

I have had a hot ember hit my uvula as I was taking an ass hit...it made me choke, and it felt as if my airway was closing up for a couple of seconds...it really sucked.
  15. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn Sr. Member

This post has really gone down hill. The 1st poster gives us a comp[laint, about a sore throat. Unless they are circus fire eaters, You don't get to that 500F=Flame thing, so You irratated an infection. You don't put smoke in a fire. Fire makes smoke. If You inflame an infected area with strepp,or staff microbes, that lead to infections, even tonselitis. I tell My Doctor Everything, so he can make a Positive diagnosis. If You can't totally trust Your Doctor. Find a Doctor You can trust!
    2 people like this.
  16. the_hitman

the_hitman New Member

I have had a swollen uvula on many occasions.
    generally i have smoked the night before, or it occurs when i have a nasty cold or bronchitis
  17. #12 & 35

#12 & 35 New Member

a swollen uvula in the morning is a sign of heavy snoring and many times sleep apnea.
  18. fiddlah

fiddlah New Member

My uvula has been swollen for 2 years with a tiny thin scar-like line which travels maybe 1 cmm and ends with a the tiniest of a pimple bump on the top of my palette . My ENT Dr has checked it out several times and this guy has been around.... he knows what cancer looks like and he definitely defined it as not tumorous at all.... it's just a pain in ass when it comes swallowing. A different ENT wanted to remove my uvula all together and told me quote "they have no function" which is a croc! the uvula determines which way food goes down your throat and when you sneeze, it also protects food from becoming lodged up into sinuses. If that happens then you're definitely in big trouble. Thank God I got got a 2nd opinion. On the other hand I also have an infection recently, which does swell the uvula. Have your CBC (blood count) checked. Mine was at 11.8 and the normal cut-off is at 10. Unfortunately my ENT thought it was a yeast infection and gave me an anti-fungal which I was on for 5 days, but I still have an infection in my neck glands. *I hate Drs! *hope this helps
  19. wtfk

wtfk New Member

I hate to "necro" this thread, but found it on a web search. Woke up today, for the second time ever, with an extended (seemingly not "swollen" uvula.) Both times, I'd taken my medicine in cookie form (I don't smoke) the night before. Thus, it seems, this issue is not necessarily smoking-related. It could be pot-related, or it could be entirely unrelated. In my case, I'm thinking maybe it's related to the throat drying out, but I've awakened way more dried out than I was last night. Hope this helps someone else out. I find that drinking lots of fluids helps me some with this maddening issue. I also take a Sudafed, but I'm not sure that helps.
  20. flareside

flareside New Member

I woke up yesterday with a swollen uvula. The night before i did some heavy drinking and smoked for the first time. I did not snore and it didn't seem like my throat was that dry when i woke up. I did a lot of research (it scared the hell out of me) to see what causes it, and from multiple sources smoking can cause it. so i guess we where just very unlucky to have it happen to us.