THC cooking temperature

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by MonarchX, Apr 29, 2008.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

I was Googling around I saw differnet responses to what the temperature should be.

Lets say I want to mix MJ with olive oil. What is the optimal temperature to make most THC bind with oil?

A bit off topic, but is it possible to add something to mask the smell? It would have to be something that smells strong but doesn't require much of itself. Could I make it smell like fish oil?

Hell, could I successfully cook MJ in fish oil?
  2. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

Nobody tried fish oil with weed? Nobody knows the temp? Isn't it in 200 range?
  3. Richi

Richi CB1 receptor agonist

I'm sure if you search threads here at marijuana.com you will find various threads about the subject. I know this, because Tyler knows this. He knows this, because he posted it here.

THC vaporises at approximately 200 degrees C, or 392 degrees F.

When I cook, I don't go above 350 F.

I suppose if you're blending it with oil, then the vaporized molecules will themselves become trapped in the oil. So you could cook at around 380 or 400 F to have the THC vaporized and then absorbed by the oil.
  4. MonarchX

MonarchX New Member

That means I would have to cover the cooking equipment so that THC doesn't evaporate, right? Maybe I should then scrape the bottom side of the cover and mix that steam/oil with the rest of the stuff.

I tried searching for fish oil, but it seems nobody has cooked weed in fish oil, hehe.
  5. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

There's no need to use such high temperatures in preparing cannaoil. THC is soluble in oils at room temperature. All heating the oil does is speed up the process. I've always used a double boiler to avoid overheating the oil. All a double boiler is, is a pot inside another pot in which there is some water boiling. That means that whatever you put in the inner pot never gets hotter than the boiling point of water, 212ºF or 100ºC.

Get it up to temperature and let it simmer for half an hour. The more you stir, the better the extraction.

Fish oil? Sounds disgusting. What would you do with fish oil after you get the THC in it?
    4 people like this.
  6. Merry-juana

Merry-juana Sr. Member

Drink it, and then :puker:
    2 people like this.
  7. Nephrosis

Nephrosis New Member

lol, why would you waist that in fish oil?! bah... i think orientals use fish oil for alot of recipies though.
  8. $moKeDanK

$moKeDanK Sr. Member

make it on something besides fish oil and just use it fast so there wont be anything left to smell....
  9. shibshib

shibshib New Member

As I've been looking for good recipes for making capsules of marijuana... I think fish oil would be great. I imagine it'd be healthier than olive oil and such.
  10. Purpose420

Purpose420 Sr. Member

Im currently doing a coconut oil extraction in a half pint mason jar inside a big metal drum, at 10 am it was 150 in there.
  11. Jordan Blake

Jordan Blake New Member

I would like to make 2 grams of cannabis into cannabutter. What do you think is a good amount of butter to use in terms of complete cannabinoid absorbtion? What do you think of olive oil extraction? Thank you!:D
  12. Azurion

Azurion New Member

A ratio of 1/2 oz good marijuana to 3/4 lb butter is recommended.
    or 7g to 1 stick.
    Using a mixture of 1-part butter and 4-parts water, fill the pot until it is about 3/4 full. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
    After 30 minutes, remove debris from the bottom of the pot. Strain with cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer. Cool at room temperature and then transfer to a refrigerator. The butter will form on the top and, once it has been thoroughly cooled, will harden so it can be removed from the pot. After removing the butter, discard the remaining water.