THC solubility

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by mhughes, Feb 3, 2009.

1. mhughes

mhughes New Member

Hey everybody, well this is my first post...ive been lurking around a few forums gathering some info (ya, i use the search button)

anyways i was looking up stuff on green dragon and the same question came up in every thread. How much can you put in before you saturate the alcohol?

I hope my first post helps clear this up.... I found this Pharmaceutical composition containing tetrahydrocannabinol and a transdermal/transcutaneous delivery method thereof - US Patent 6503532 Description

and it says that in 70% ethyl, THC is soluble at 20.2mg/ml.

2. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Laymens terms please

Thank you, that has been a question of mine but could someone convert that to terms that the average person can understand.
    Something like how many grams of pot with 10% THC can be absorbed by an ounce of alcohol that is X % ethanol.
    Note- I use 10%THC figuring that as a sort of mid range between commercial and High grade weed.

3. mhughes

mhughes New Member

Alrite, so we have THC is soluble at 20.2 mg THC / ml alcohol (70%)
    Also, there is approx 30ml in a fl oz

Thus you can put 606 mg (20.2 * 30) of THC in 1 fl oz of 70% ethanol

So now we need to figure out how many grams of bud will give us 606 mg THC.
    X mg of bud * 10%THC = 606mgTHC gives 6060mg of bud or ~6grams

However, it looks like when this experiment was done they actually used extracted THC to test the solubility, not actual bud. The difference being that when you soak a bud in alcohol, chlorophyll and other junk is getting into the alcohol and "competing" with the THC to get dissolved. So this would lower the solubility somewhat
    but if you are using hash or kief instead of bud i would guess this solubility reading is fairly accurate.
    (of course hash has a much higher THC percentage so the last step above would need to be changed to Xmg of hash * %THC of hash = 606mg THC)

4. purplebuffalo

purplebuffalo New Member

im waiting about a week to test out a batch i made on january 19. I put about a quarter ounce of shake and grinded stems from some middies and mixed it into a mason jar with 14 oz of 120 proof absinthe. I sacrificed real high alcohol content for the smoothness i thought the absinthe would give me with the bud. ill post back my results soon.

5. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Wait as long as you can

I would wait as long as you can. The longer you wait the greater the opportunity the thc has to diffuse into the alcohol. Patience is a wonderful quaility when making tinctures.

6. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Thank you

Thanks
    That is roughly where my own experiment hit a wall. I had used the same alcohol on about (guesstimated) 6 grams (2 grams at a time). By the last soaking it didn't seem that I had made a proportionate gain in potentcy compared with the first 2 soakings.

7. donnachris

donnachris New Member

ok, knowing the solubility, someone answer me this. if i soak 6 grams of THC in an ounce of 70% alcohol, can i evaporate out some (like half to two thirds) and make this more of a tincture instead of green dragon??

8. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Yes, you can reduce the alcohol amount and increase the thc/alcohol ratio.

9. Kushy

Kushy down

At what point will the aqueous THC in the alcohol separate and simply become particulates in the solution? Could you theoretically evap to nothing and scrape up whatevers left?

10. GunCow

GunCow Sr. Member

Thats interesting....

If you boil salt water, the salt will collect at the bottom.

Is that similar?

11. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Yes you can

What is the difference? Not sure what you mean?

Google the term iso hash

This is essentially what you are talking about and yes it can be smoked or eaten. I once soaked a 1/2 oz of mexi-brick in 190 for 5 months. Strained it out and let the liquid evaporate in a measuring cup. Ended up with about 1.5 grams of blackish/greenish goo and broke it into about 12 baby aspirin sized pieces, that I could smoke like hash in a pipe. Knead into weed and roll it in a joint. And I also ate one little baby aspirin size piece and was very surprised with the quality of the results.

Would love to try that with a 1/2 oz of high end weed. Just can't afford it.

12. donnachris

donnachris New Member

the difference between green dragon and a tincture is that a tincture is actually green dragon that has had most of the alcohol evaporated off.

13. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

14. medme

medme Sr. Member

i gonna to make some real soon,,, i have 190 proof everclear,,, i'm gonna let it evaporate so all i have left is oil....its great!!!!

15. donnachris

donnachris New Member

it is. when you make green dragon, you soak your weed in alcohol. to make a tincture, you take your green dragon and evaporate off the alcohol until you have a super strength tincture. either way they are both of medicinal value. they differnce being the tincture is going to be super concentrated and youmll only need drops whereas the green dragon you might need an ounce or two for the same medicinal value.

16. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

I think it really just matters what your weed to alcohol ratio is when you start, but yes reducing the alcohol does improve the strength. I have never made GD that I could have taken an ounce or two of without knocking myself out.

17. donnachris

donnachris New Member

i ground up about 42 grams a weed and put it in a quart jar with a fifth of 151 proof Everclear. how long do i need to soak it, and when I 12.8 oz, which is half, how much should i start out taking for pain relief like a dropper full or are we alking tablespoonfuls???

18. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

In regards to other threads I have heard that you can get all you need in a few days and that the rest is non thc related material. On the premise that I smoke the plant to nothing, I soak for 4 weeks minimum. You are making enough and at a strong enough concentration that I would experiment at 10 days, then every five days or so with 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Mix it with a small amount of juice or soda and throw it down like a shot of alcohol. If your not feeling enough, adjust your dosage.

Your at a really high concentration as is. Reducing the volume should really make it potent.

Please let us know how this works.

19. donnachris

donnachris New Member

start testing at 10 days huh?? you really think that it will be strong enough then?? I will definitely know how itgoes. I just hope that it worksfor pain relief, i'm not interested in getting high, i want to feel no pain or at least considerably less considering that on a good day whichhappens about once a month my pain level is at about a 7.

20. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

There are 6 teaspoons to an ounce.

At 1/2 a teaspoon per experiment, starting at 10 days and then every 5 days, you will only have used an ounce at the 30 mark.

If you feel better/ waiting then by all means do.

I just leave the weed in the bottle and let it keep soaking, don't know if it helps, but I have some that has been soaking for about 6 months, still works fine.
    You have enough weed involved you might resoak it just to get the tincture that will be soaked up by the plant material. Then let most of the second batch evaporate, like 60-70% to concentrate whatever is left.