The Cannabis Spirit

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Buzzby, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Yesterday I was thinking about how Cannabis affects so many people's lives. Part of my spiritual belief is that there is an overseeing spirit for every species on the planet. You get along in your environment by respecting and being gracious to these spirits. Your garden grows better. Your lawn grows slower. The ants stay outside. The spiders don't bite.

One thing I've neglected to do is propitiate the Cannabis spirit, one to whom I owe so much. It's probably because I never see the plant, only cured buds in a baggie. From now on I will thank her for her bounty, ask for a good experience, and dedicate it to the enlightenment of all sentient beings.

I'm wondering about names. Does the Cannabis spirit have a name? Does she appear in the religious pantheon of any groups? I'd like to be on a first-name basis.

2 people like this.
  2. JussBL4ZE

JussBL4ZE Banned

I call her Lord Ganjah.. Um speaking about religion why do we use the term Buddah to refer to bud, when in actuality its a religion.?

3. Buzzby

Buddha was the founder of Buddhism. I suspect the origin of the name being used for bud has nothing to do with Buddha except coincidence that the first three letters of each is "bud".

4. Broliette

Broliette ~~~_\|/_~~~

That is an awesome idea. To give thanks and reverance for something makes us appreciate it even more.

I am not sure what I would call her. Thank you Ganja Queen for this Spirit Nectar :shrug:

5. Logos

Logos CannaSacrament Minister

The original Hebrew word for fragrant cane is kaneh bosm which some scholars say was mistranslated into calamus in the bible, if what they say is true, then it would be the root of the word cannabis from a Judeo Christian perspective.

How do the Hindu's refer to it? Shiva?

There is an islam patron saint of cannabis named Khizr

See the various articles at Forbidden Fruit Publishing: Chris Bennett for way more info than you could ever want on the subject.

Do we know for certain that The Buddha didn't consume cannabis? I know we had this conversation before Buzzby, but it was years ago and I was stoned so don't recall the answer if I even bothered to ask that question. I had asked you because I saw something somewhere that said he subsisted on a hemp seed a day, (which given his ever present belly I find hard to believe) and something else that I thought suggested he would have been within regions of the world where it was consumed. Anyway, I don't know, I only know that just like the bible, his teachings as well as others I have perused make more sense to me on a different level when I'm stoned...

6. Buzzby

No, but there is no reason to believe he did and much reason to think he wouldn't. Buddhists are forbidden to consume any intoxicating substance.

The story, which I've seen recounted in many translations, says that during his ascetic period before he attained enlightenment, he would consume one grain of rice a day. Of course, hemp seeds contain no THC, which would mean that if he did eat them it would not have anything to do with his spiritual experiences. I don't read Pali, so I couldn't look at original sources. Cannabis has been consumed in northern India and Nepal since long before the historical Buddha's time.

As to his "ever present belly", that's not the historical Buddha. That's a Chinese god whose name is "Budai". He is sometimes associated with the future Buddha, Maitreya. He is also included in the Taoist pantheon and, in Japan, the Shinto pantheon. Buddhists are not given to the over-consumption of food. We pursue the Middle Path, between asceticism and excess.

7. KWhite

KWhite Guest

This is a very thought provoking thread and I thank you for it, Buzzby.

It seems to jive with my own belief of uncountable interlocking circles that make up all the power in the universe, in my religion, even rocks have a consciousness, albeit slow and long compared to man, are cousins and need to be respected.

All plants, animals, spirits seen or unseen, are part of the universal brotherhood.

And respect is what every one of them is owed.

I cannot answer your question, I'm sorry, but I wanted to say this.

8. Hashishi

Hashishi Unf*ckwit'able

While on hallucinogens each lifter I smoke changes the vibe of the experience is a subtle yet distinctive way. I know this thread relates to the plant, but if I dip my nose into a baggie and inhale that aroma I get this wash of nostalgia for that same mindset. That`s my 'cannabis spirit', at least.

:thumb:

Naturalistic pantheism

(No, I`m not preaching... I just love that link.)

9. mrfilmmaker666

mrfilmmaker666 New Member

Good topic. I dont believe marijuana has a a very powerful goddess, cause i have too many experiences with crappy weed! ;) i do however have one guy who always has PERFECT shit. And its one hit wonder shit. And I now have dedicated myself to only smoking that stuff cause I cant trust other kinds (tho dont get me wrong Ive had other stuff) but when im smoking, I want the best and deserve the best. but i cant always get it!!! and it sucks. picking the right kind is like picking the right church or group of people to hang with. I can smoke the good stuff with a partner of mine and iits coool cause like i said, one hit wonder, but when i got lesser quality ill smoke it with my girlfriend, cause she gets high off 3 hits, sometimes 1. So when i smoke the lesser stuff with her its cool cause i get most the blunt!!!! :)

10. Buzzby

Chalk that up to your lack of faith and inability to stay on-topic. :D

11. mrfilmmaker666

mrfilmmaker666 New Member

yeah i am on topic buddy, im jsut saying you can thank all the gods and earth but it doesnt change that you are gonna have crappy weed out there. For ex I just smoked some stuff yesterday with my friend and i was very grateful as always but the truth was it was dry old weed so it sucked. the guy he got it from gave him half fresh stuff and the rest old. until this country becomes like the netherlands, weed Gods have no real control....Ive been over there in the Netherlands and THAT land is most definetely blessed

12. Buzzby

The topic is "The Cannabis Spirit". Why do you imagine anyone cares about the quality of the weed you smoke?

13. Hashishi

Hashishi Unf*ckwit'able

[​IMG]

"Hey Tony- look at this fuckin` guy over here".

4 people like this.
  14. green medicine

green medicine New Member

The goddess Kali, I believe is associated with herb. Also Freya, and probably many more.

15. Buzzby

Shiva is associated with cannabis as well, but I was looking for a deity who is specifically the overlighting spirit of cannabis. Perhaps "Mother Cannabis" is as good a name as any.

16. Broliette

Broliette ~~~_\|/_~~~

I think that works very well. :cool:

[​IMG]
    *The Emperor Wears No Clothes, Jack Herer

17. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect The Cosmic Chronic

How about Cannabacchus and Cannabia?

[​IMG]

Link
    That's the best I get, maybe someone might find it interesting. I am thankful for my cannabis, and hold it in reverence - hopefully that is enough to keep the cannabis Gods in my favor even if we aren't on a first name basis. :)

2 people like this.
  18. Buzzby

I've always loved Grey's work. I was able to find a small reproduction of the Cannabacchus poster. I can't find Cannabia anywhere. Do you know where I might find large versions of these images?

[​IMG]

19. Philosophy

Philosophy New Member

i havnt read to many post on this topic yet, you should just keep the name Mary Jane, b/c if you think about it people always says she takes care of us when shes in our life, like "Mary Jane"- Rick James

20. Philosophy

Philosophy New Member

Thats how i feel there was this girl and here naem was ashley, i started buying weed from and ever since i had it and i call it dat ashley, i sure do miss her:rolleyes:

if you think about wat your saying al religons have something to do with the earth and how everything should be respected, but if you think about it no one on this website is respecting weed, except for the ones who grow it, and sell it b/c they sell it and "invest" on it, but the rest of us is just burning it making it worth nothing but a good or bad hit do u get wat im sayin

oh yeah sorry for double posting