The Green Dragon (tincture)

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by Scruff MacPuff, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Scruff MacPuff

Scruff MacPuff New Member

Ok so I want to start with this... I used the search button. I looked for a while and i know that there have been multiple, multiple threads on this in the past, some of which had phenominal recipes with great detail. Unfortunately I haven't been on the site in like a year so when i searched today the first three pages were full of not helpful threads.

Anyway my recipe that i will follow is this:

Take 1 ounce and break up by hand into small nuggets.

Bake at 200˚F for 20 minutes (It should look brownish green and should crunch when you squeeze it).

Grind into a fine powder using a coffee grinder

Take 1.75 Liters of Everclear 95 % (illegal in MA and NH) and pour some out into a water bottle so you have enough space to fit the freshly ground powder into the everclear bottle. Store water bottle for later use.

Dump ground powder into Everclear bottle and store in dark space for 4 weeks shaking every few days.

After one month filter with a coffee filter placed in a funnel.

Once all the liquid has seeped through the filter use the water bottle from earlier to rinse the powder cake in the filter. This should wash out any remaining THC.

Pour green dragon back into original Everclear bottle and it should be ready for use.

My real concern is over a few details that i have heard from other recipes and they are as follows:

I've heard you should add sugar or flavor extracts to the mix to make it taste better...Y/N

I've heard that its best to store the mix in a dark warm spot like behind a dryer or something...Does this effect it in the long run? or Is there any reason not to do that?...Y/N

MOST IMPORTANTLY, I've heard that one of the major reasons that tincture can come out tasting gross is because if you let it sit too long then the chlorophyl and plant substances other than THC begin to break down and affect the taste... Is this true? and if so what is the ideal amount of time to let it sit for maximum THC absorbtion?

And then finally from a safety stand point, how potent can i expect this to be? I've heard of people taking half shots and being good to go, taking full shots and tripping, and I've heard of people taking 4 shots and being "buzzed".
    I'm sure a lot is trial and error but any real experience would be nice.

Thanks in advance for anybody who helps or even posts a link to another thread, and to those who tell me to go use the search button or something along those lines... your input is not appreciated :D.

2. medme

medme Sr. Member

i was reading a thread and i guy said he made tincture from ABV,, i asked how long he soaked it, because i've heard from between 1 hour and 60 days... this is part of what he sent me for a reply....

"You do not need to let it sit for weeks/months using ABV OR herb that has been activated by heat. The long soak methods you see are for herb that has not been activated by heat. I did try some but I prefer the quicker methods. If using fresh you can activate it in an oven or running through a vape at lower temps."

just thought ya might want to know,,, i'm gonna try it with ABV first...

3. donnachris

donnachris New Member

ok, so i have a question now. i made some and forgot to decarbolyxate (activate) the THCA into THC. but if i soak this long enough, i can evaporate half the alcohol out and i should have a good product. i put about 42 grams in 750mL of 151 proof Everclear, we cant get the 190 proof around here. and after i bought the everclear, hubby said i should have gotten Bacardi 151 which would have tasted much better.
    well, any suggestions would be helpful.

4. chronreef

chronreef New Member

If you did not decarboxilate the weed you are just making tincture instead of green dragon. My friend soaks his weed in the alcohol for 2 months then takes the buds out and strains it then adds fresh buds and repeats the 2 month process. Just 1 or 2 ml of his final product works excellent.

I plan on making Green Dragon at some point in the future. I will decarboxilate the weed at 250 - 255 degrees F for 20 - 30 minutes. I have read that this will be adequate but will not cause any of the good parts of the weed to be lost.

2 people like this.
  5. donnachris

donnachris New Member

what exactly is the difference between green dragon and a tincture???:confused::confused::confused:

how much alcohol is used as compared to the amount of weed is used.

6. Scruff MacPuff

Scruff MacPuff New Member

i kind of want further clarification on this now too. ideally my stuff comes out where 1 or 2 ml is enough so am i more likely to get that result from the long soak or is it pretty much just the fact that its two batches of fresh bud (consisting of how much each time?)

7. donnachris

donnachris New Member

to use 1 - 2 ml how much weed to alcohol do you use and how long do you let it sit?? do you evaporate anything off??

8. medme

medme Sr. Member

i think about the only difference is with a tincture you evaporate alot of the alcohol off,,,,,to make it stronger......

9. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

tincture vs Green Dragon

A tincture is an alcohol based extraction of anything. Soak mint leaves in alcohol and you have mint tincture.
    Green Dragon is a marketing term for marijuana tincture, made up by stoners because it sounds cool.

At about 1.5 grams of quality bud per ounce of alcohol, 1/2 a teaspoon should get you doing just fine. You might want a little more, but you will feel something.
    Like edibles, it is best to consume tincture on as empty a stomach as possible so that the only thing entering your bloodstream is the weed infused alcohol.

Please report back on your experiments.

This may be just me, but tincture really elevates my tolerance. It is much better to use every few days, maybe even a week a part if your goal is recreational. If you can wait long enough, smoke a bowl or pin joint about 1.5 hours after ingesting the tincture.

190 will burn, add it to a little shot of juice or soda, then shoot it like a shot of booze.

Heat speeds the process, but other people make it by putting it in the freezer. Give it 30 days and you'll be fine. Better yet use some at 30 days and let it keep soaking, I have a couple of grams that have been soaking for 6 months, still works fine.

See the above answer.
    I figure if I am going to smoke the plant to ash, consuming a 1/2 teaspoon at a time of chlorophyl and plant substances ain't gonna hurt me and this way I know I am using everything.

Your using more than 2 ounces of alcohol per gram of weed. If you have not started use18-20 ounces of alcohol. This will give you a 1.5grams to 1 ounce alcohol ratio. If you have already gotten started, I would let it soak for 30 days, then let 60% of the alcohol evaporate.
    This is just my theory but I suspect that if you are taking shots, especially multiple shots, that you might be overpowering the weed 1/2 of your tincture with the booze 1/2.

1.5grams to 1 ounce alcohol ratio - at this ratio 1/2 teaspoon is a good place to start, you might go up or down a little for personal preference, but his will give you an idea of what to expect.

Note - Mexi-brick tincture produces a mexi-brick buzz unless you concentrate dramatically.
    The end results will be relative to the ingredients you start out with.

2 people like this.
  10. Ganjasaurus

Ganjasaurus New Member

on 3/3/11 i put 5 grams of very very high grade OG Kush kief mixed with 3 ounces of 100 proof smirnoff vodka and it's been sitting in a blacked out jar within a paper bag in my closet since. i shake it a few times a day vigorously and let it breathe for about a minute each time. i would imagine this will take less time than it would if i were to use bud/shake/leaf due to concentration of the kief. i will post back with results after it's been 2 weeks in the jar.

11. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Sample, but leave it soaking

That sounds like a great ratio of bud to alcohol, should be great stuff. You can simply sample from your jar and let everything else keep soaking for as long as you have ingredients in the jar. If you get weed in your sample, pour it through a strainer and put that back in the jar to soak longer.

12. donnachris

donnachris New Member

i started my bottle with a fifth of 151 everclear and an 42 grams of marijuana on March first. on March 10th, hubby and i took a tablespoon each with almost no effect. we're going to try again on the 15th to see how it is. only this time i'm going to take out two ounces, and evaporate it down to one ounce, then we will both take another tablespoon each. I will let you know how that goes in a couple of days.

13. donnachris

donnachris New Member

well i took of 12 ounces and evap'd it down to six ounce. took three ounces sat one time and all i got was a little pain relief. from an 8 to about a 6 for about two hours.