The "Plane" Truth: Flying High with Cannabis

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mcs, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

Jurisdiction?

I recently flew from Columbus, OH to Ft. Collins, CO. I carried a quarter using the "tightey-whitey" method. Everything went smoothly, but I was wondering what sort of penalty I might have incurred had I been caught.

Possession is decriminalized both in Ohio and Colorado. The worst I could get in either place is a $100 fine and lose my weed. :bawl: Would there be anything worse for getting caught in possession in an airport? Does it violate any federal regulations? The DEA isn't into prosecuting people for the possession of a quarter ounce.
  2. Darque Pervert

Darque Pervert Jive Honkey

Most likely you'd be charged with possession and nothing more.

Now, there's an entire thread about flying with cannabis. Why did you choose to start a new thread rather than adding to an existing thread on the same topic?

Threads merged.
  3. gunjablaze

gunjablaze New Member

x-rays , metal detector sticks at airportz

do the x-rays sence weed or show it in a different color

and do the detector sticks , do they sence weed

i am planning to stuff two dimes in my pocket for the airport

please let me know , thanks

-gunjasmoke
  4. steakii

steakii New Member

Well, you are not going to get x-rayed at an airport if it is a domestic flight and you just seem like a normal passenger. And no, those metal detector sticks only detect metal things not drugs.
    \
    It would be better to "crotch" it then keeping them in your pockets. No one can just grab your ballsack without a good reason, think of how many lawsuits there would be.

However, if it is an international flight, do not under any circumstance try to bring weed on the airplane, its just not worth it.
  5. Darque Pervert

Merged with the "Plane Truth" thread.

Rather than jumping in and starting a new thread, you should really try searching for an existing thread about the same topic.
    There is already a lengthy thread about taking cannabis on domestic flights The answers to all your questions are already in the thread.
  6. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

Thank you. Why doesn't anyone complain about every person with a drug testing question starting a new thread? I'm curious. A UA is a UA is a UA...
  7. Jerry G

Jerry G Sr. Member

Actually, you are wrong. Each person has a different smoking history. I give very different advice to a heavy user with little clean time when compared to a light user or someone with a lot of clean time.

In the hair or urine testing forums we encourage people to create their own thread so we can address individual issues. Then we like them to post in the results threads with a summary of their history, treatment technique, and final results.
  8. rockjock

rockjock New Member

I've read most of this thread, but at 143 pages, the whole thing has gotten a little long, so i apologize if I'm asking the same question as someone before me.

Here it is:
    Flying internationally, having read posts on this site and others, I see that taking mj while crossing int'l borders is dumb, but here is what i would like to do:

since it is a long flight I just want to have a couple of brownies on the flight to eat and help me pass out.

I understand dogs can smell THC residue on brownies, or any other baked good.

If i were bringing them on, and eating them during the flight should I be OK... essentially- are there drug sniffing dogs on both sides of customs, or just on the side of your arrival?

I am fairly confident that when flying domestically that a majority of the dogs you will encounter can only smell for bombs, but while flying internationally I would guess they have both dogs.

Similarly, if I am taking a domestic flight to get to airport of my international flight, when will I actually see customs, are you screened a second time before boarding an international vs a domestic one?

Could i just take them on the domestic, eat between and than get checked by security again and start getting baked as I'm boarding the second flight.

Please don't respond and say 'you are too young/ inexperienced/ not a good enough speller to make this happen,' I am just trying to get the questions answered. If the BARTMAN would help out this would be much appreciated.

ONCE AGAIN, i will land with no illegals on me, just take off with them in brownie form.

This plan is definitely not fool proof, but I feel if all else fails, i at least won't get arrested and at worst i might be delayed and miss the flight.

1 more questions:
    if you do miss a flight because security detains you, and they find nothing, will they put you on the next flight, or do you have to pay to get on the next one?
  9. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

We understand - but there is a spiffy search function that is helpful.

For this purpose, some over-the-counter anti-histamine is far superior, and legal. So that is not sufficient reason for a rookie to attempt this adventure.

What if "you are too young/ inexperienced" was true? Can we not tell you the truth? It sounds to me that you simply want bragging rights and that this cunning plan has no necessity to your travels what-so-ever.

Seriously, you are young and inexperienced: this whole thing is going to distract you from a much greater lesson on travel - I would suggest your being alert and oriented to what is going on will help you in the future much more so than being baked on a plane. Airports offer some of the best people-watching to be had, and airplanes naturally put you to sleep. There is enough in gaining more travel experience that being pre-occupied with your brownies being discovered is not worth it. With experience you would have never asked this question.

They tell you to get to your flight with enough time to pass through Security Screening - often recommending at least an hour or more. They only detain you when they find something - and you are responsible for any cost (usually $100 rebooking fee) to continue your travels. This is in the fine print of your ticket agreement.
  10. BigDSmokey

BigDSmokey New Member

My Trip from Dallas DFW to DC Reagan

First let me start off by saying THANK YOU to all those who contribute to this board. Its been about 10 years since I was on a plane last, and I really wanted to take a little smoke. 2 of my good friends who fly all the time gave me some good advise, and at first I was going to follow it. Their idea was to empty out a soft pack of cigarettes, roll up a couple doobs, repack the pack with the doobs all the way in the back and then the rest cigarettes. Leave a few out so it looks like they have been smoked, and to flatten the pack so when its in my pocket it wont look like a huge buldge in my pocket. take everything else off that is metal (watch, cell phone, etc) or anything that could setoff the metal detectors (thick plastics will set off metal detectors). I had prepared this setup, and was pretty confident that it would work, until i read this forum. Not that I didnt believe my friends, I just felt the Tighty Whitey idea would be much safter. So i unpacked the cigs, and put the 4 doobs i had rolled into the smallest of ziplock style bags, some times refered to as coke bags. The bags i used were a perfect fit all around. I used the pouch in my boxer briefs to hold the bag, then took the smallest saftey pins (im talkin SMALL), that come with sewing kits, and used 4, one on each side to hold the small bag in place so it wouldnt move around and/or possibly come out while walking. I felt MUCH more confident with this method than w/ the cigarette method... HOWEVER, i still went along with the cigarettes. I put them in my front shirt pocket instead of my pants pocket, and also had a cigarette lighter. my flight was at 7am from DFW airport, and I dont know if it was because it was so early, but the TSA were rushing people through, a little bit surprising to me. I unloaded my laptop, took off my jacket, and put the bag in the bin which went through the xray machine. I stepped tward the metal detector and the guy is quickly waving me through. with my ticket in hand, he quickly glances at it while i hold it twards him, and he quickly brushes me on and says "GATE 14 That way" pointing but not looking. No one ever asked me to take everything out of my pockets... I guess because I didnt set off the metal detector, they didnt look twice at me.

ALSO, I must mention that this is a 1 way flight I am taking, with no checked baggage. I was dressed with a business shirt, leather jacket, black slacks and black business shoes. I could have used a shave, but other than that I looked pretty "normal".

I think it comes down to confidence, and just dont be stupid with your method. My 2 friends who use the cigarette pack method swear by it, and they fly a few times a year, every year since 9/11. Thats why they were so confident. After finding out all my boxer briefs have a stash pocket underneath my nutts, I will have to say ITS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

Thanks again for everyone who posts to the forum, definitely a great help to all us traveling smokers!

Cheers Off :D:hail::hail::hail:
  11. gunjablaze

gunjablaze New Member

airplane - shampoo & x-rays

if i put a half quarter in shampoo and put it in my big luggage

will the x-rays see through the shampoo and see weed?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW THANKS

also , what can I put weed in that the x-rays will NOT catch

gunja-smoke
  12. ninfan77

ninfan77 New Member

13. gunjablaze

gunjablaze New Member

what can I hide some weed in?

i will put the weed in my big luggage , not a carry on cuz normally they check those

but in my big luggage what can I hide weed in so it wont be caught on X RAY OR CAMERA

like if i put it in shampoo will the x ray see thru the shampoo and find weed?

what can I put it in??
  14. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

So, you read that in the training manual for TSA Screeners; I think that's the first thing they learn.

Read the LAST ten pages of ninfan77's recommendation and you'll find a fool-proof method for domestic travel, and why you NEVER put it in your luggage, checked or carry-on.
  15. BartSimpson

BartSimpson Sr. Member

Your underwear?
  16. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I was going to say the exact same thing. It has been said here countless times, and putting it in luggage has been advised against many more times.
  17. FunkySkunky

FunkySkunky Gentille, allouette

I hear that putting the weed between bars of soap will fool both x-ray machines and most dogs because they hate the smell of soaps with strong perfumes. I have no proof to back any of those claims up, this is simply hear-say. Friends of mine have gotten away with large quantities in soap boxes.
  18. ADIDAS

ADIDAS Represent. KY

Bart is right. That would be the last thing I put my weed in these days since all the airports have gone bonkers over liquids on the flight.
  19. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

Absolutely. The bag of weed would have less of a tendency to absorb the x-rays than the much denser surrounding liquid. This is the oldest dodge in the book and every TSA screener is well aware of it.
  20. Darque Pervert

HAve you not read any of this thread?
    Perhaps the part about where I got cited at the airport when a TSA agent searched my bag when a Sherriff's deputy just hppened to be looking over.

If it's a minimal amount, carry it on your person, preferrably in a location that will not be located in a quick pat down. That means your crotch.

I guess the general rule should be... If you're moving more than you can pack in your crotch, you should find another way to get it there.
    :lmao:

Except that there is almost no need to concern yourself with drug dogs on a domestic flight It's simply overkill.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.