Things you can do to make the tolerance go down faster

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Zocalo, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Zocalo

Zocalo Sr. Member

So we all know that if you smoke every day for a week, you won't get the same feeling on day 7 you got on day 1. So the question is simple, things you can do, other than stop smoking, for the tolerance to go down when you take a break.

HalfBakedAlex told me of a theory in the chat that drinking lots of water during that break helps it go down faster. First, is this true? and second, what are other things you've personally seen to have had an effect on tolerance?

2. Psych0Pyr0

Psych0Pyr0 New Member

Go to your local gnc and buy liquid detox. It is basically clay water and will get rid of the thc in your system. It will get rid of most of your tolerance and then you can get blitzed. Enjoy man....ive had this idea and want to do it very soon.

3. LowRider

LowRider Sr. Member

just stop for a few days or buy weed from two different people. if your lucky it will be a different batch

4. Herbania

Herbania Don't fear the reefer

You could do a Keith Richards and have your blood replaced. :)

5. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

No. Tolerance is mediated by the condition of the CB1 receptors in your brain. Drinking water would have no effect on them.

The only thing that helps is abstinence and time.

This is complete nonsense. First of all, you only have THC in your system for a few hours after you consume marijuana. Then it's all broken down into THC metabolites.

Clay detox products aren't even any good for getting THC metabolites out of your system. The clay moves down your digestive tract, never gets into your bloodstream, and can not have any effect on the THC metabolites stored in your fat cells. THC metabolites, contrary to what many people seem to think, have nothing to do with tolerance. Reducing your metabolite load and reducing your tolerance are two completely separate issues. The only thing that reduces tolerance is giving the CB1 receptors time to recover from being drenched in too much THC.

11 people like this.
  6. JohnnyMT

JohnnyMT New Member

I just smoke every few days rather than every day. I conserve weed and enjoy it more each time, and it gives me something to look forward to on days I don't smoke.

Like the guy above me noted, I really don't think there's anything else you can do.

2 people like this.
  7. Zocalo

Zocalo Sr. Member

Ah, intresting.

So can you explain why my one week breaks aren't enough anymore? For how long do I need to take a break to clear my receptors?

At first, one week breaks were awesome, now, about my 4th break in, I haven't been getting "smacked" on the first hit like I used to anymore. By smacked I mean like, I take the first hit, and I feel some sort of mental slap where my head sort of bobs back.:angel:

8. TehCrazyTom

TehCrazyTom New Member

There's something to say about placebo and psychological "tolerance" here (and sorry for reviving a year old thread). If you had a bowlpack of something that wasn't weed (but obviously you think it is), and you smoked it, and you didn't notice a difference in flavor or smoothness, and you seemed to get somewhat high, are you? Because you know what it "feels like" to get high, getting high won't seem as enjoyable and your high will lack the usual intensity. That has nothing to do with physical tolerance, and is purely a matter of perception, and most definitely outlasts physical tolerance by ten-fold.

Taking a week or two is probably all you need to clear out your CB receptors, but to let your psychological tolerance drop you'll be looking at waiting a good 30 days. The last time I did that, I hadn't even on intended on smoking after the 30 day mark; but, lo and behold, my best friend procured a fat J, and by the end of it I felt like I was melting into the floor. I've been smoking every day since then, which is about six months, and I'm about ready to go on another break.

Lastly, several of your physical characteristics will determine your "baseline tolerance": your age, weight, and what shape you're in, mainly. Your brain undergoes constant change throughout your life, but as you progress through your thirties and into your forties, your brain progressively loses it's plasticity (ability to recover from damage or deficit), which could possibly make it take longer for your tolerance to drop. The THC-to-body-weight ratio is probably the biggest factor in how high you get; more or less, lighter people don't have to worry that much about really high tolerances. And finally, if you're at least somewhat in shape and are semi-active, your body's metabolism will speed up, your brain recovers much faster, and you stay high for much longer thanks to faster and more efficient blood flow and better CNS performance in general.

9. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

1. Having THC in your system is not the cause of tolerance.
    2. A few hours after smoking, you no longer have any THC in your system. All thats left are non-psychoactive THC metabolites.
    3. Having THC metabolites in your system is not the cause of tolerance.
    4. Detox products are all scams to separate the gullible from their money. Nothing gets the THC metabolites out of your system besides time and fat-burning exercise

Tolerance is caused by the THC receptors in your brain shutting down from being flooded with too much THC. Fewer active receptors means that you won't react as intensely to the same dose of THC. The only thing that brings the receptors back online is avoiding THC for a while.

[EDIT]Damn! I didn't see that this was an old thread in which I'd already posted. At least I'm consistent.[/EDIT

10. 024

024 Sr. Member

And here I thought I was so high I was reading the same post, and I was like wtf this isn't it. ;)

If you feel your tolerance is too high, go on a break, a week or two is good.

11. Buds_Of_Steele

Buds_Of_Steele Your Undisputed Disputer

Crack open that cranium and scrape off those dirty CB1 receptors!

2 people like this.
  12. Danny420

Danny420 New Member

I heard that regular exercise will help keep it low. I don't have the exact science behind it on my my mind right now, but it does seem plausible. Stimulating your body to speed up recovery.

And I have a theory I would like to propose. More like a hypothesis, maybe I'll be able to do it one day (we have our own marijuana greenhouse at my university :D [Canada ftw]) If it's neurons in the brain that need to be "reset", would plenty of sleep and napping help!?!??! I know it sounds crazy, and maybe I just haven't thought it through, but there could be a correlation. Since sleep = brain health. HUZZAH!

13. mason215

mason215 New Member

I always thought exercising helped it go down much quicker, but i dont have facts to back that up

14. SouthernSmoke

SouthernSmoke New Member

This is the best thing to do imo

15. Blackbear

Blackbear Sr. Member

I'm not sure what the science says about this, but i think its a really valid point. I've taken 2 week tolerance breaks and gotten really high afterwords, but mentally i dont think i was ready... it takes a while to start over

16. mason215

mason215 New Member

I completely agree. I didnt smoke for about 10 or 11 days, and then my first day back smoking, i smoked 3 bowls to the face. The only reason i did this was because it took awhile for it to kick in, so i just kept on smoking. Needless to say, i was on a different planet for about 2 hours haha

17. Danny420

Danny420 New Member

I know for a FACT (read scientific article, I would post them, but it won't allow me, I'll see if I'm allowed to upload them)that it takes 4 months of sobriety for you to get all of your memory back. Although the first week does the the greatest increase, then the following three add a bit more. Something along the lines of that. They did this study on both casual smokers, all the way to the poeple that smoke nearly every day for years. All they all needed was 30 days to have almost full memory back.

Although I don't remember what the biological reason for this was.