Traumatic Brain Injury

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by James_B, Nov 8, 2009.

1. James_B

James_B New Member

Well, I will start by saying what exactly a traumatic brain injury (henceforth TBI) is. A tbi is either when a blunt force hits the head, when something penetrates the head, or when the head is jerked about very hard (like an extreme form of shaken baby syndrome). It is different from damage in that the brain recovers from it. Recovery ranges anywhere from 0-100% and usually takes between 1 and 3 years, with younger people usually recovering much quicker. On march 24th I was walking along the side of the road when a old lady drove by. She saw me and watched out. Her friend, who swerved away from the center line, did not, and hit me going anywhere from 40-60mph. Consequence was that I was sent airborne about 15 feet and suffered numerous shattered and broken bones and a TBI. I was in the hospital in a medically induced coma for a couple of weeks, and then to a rehabilitation hospital. I have been home for most of the time since the accident and still suffer from sometimes crippling pain. I am on pain medicine(40mg oxycontin 10mg percocet, which was decided after months of trying different ones out) but it is sometimes insufficient. I was wondering if there would be any chance of receiving medicinal marijuana? I have heard of it being used for pain and am willing to try anything. I was also wondering (outside of getting a script) if marijuana is okay to use with a TBI? If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. Any responses would be helpful.

2. Kushy

Kushy down

Wow, that sounds really rough.. But to answer your question, it depends on which state you're in. Different states have differnt policies about what constitutes as an applicable injury/disease. California by far is the most lenient, but seeings as you have suffered a relatively large and traumatic injury, a talk with the doc would definitely clear things up. If you hav. MMJ in your state talk to your doctor and ask him if it may be right for you.. If you've already tried it, and it relieved symptoms, tell your doc that. If you get relief from it I see no reason why your doc should disallow it.

3. James_B

James_B New Member

Ah forgot to mention that. Live in Michigan so MM was legalized bit ago.

4. Kushy

Kushy down

Talk to your doc then. If he for some reason doesn't recommend it, I'm sure you could find an MJ friendly doc somewhere else fairly easily.

5. MetallicaFan495

MetallicaFan495 New Member

Man that sucks but you should check your state laws to see if it has medical marijuana. If your in crippling pain I think marijuana would absolutely save your life. You need to get off pills, cause they are more addicting and will fuck your life up, dont be a pill popper the rest of your life. Try MJ...hundreds and thousands of people have said that they tried every pill know to man, and weed was the only one that showed a major difference in pain relief. Give it a shot man!

6. Kushy

Kushy down

Metallica he just said he was in MI which just legalized MMJ, and also, no he shouldn't stop his pills. Opiates are much different than marijuana.. Marijuana doesnt kill all pain, it mostly relaxes the body and muscles..

4 people like this.
  7. MetallicaFan495

MetallicaFan495 New Member

Oh I only read his first post not his other one. But marijuana is deff a painkiller, and I have seen countless interviews of people used MMJ for pain and they all say pretty much the same exact things. They say that they were on pills (and some of them were very much addicted to them) and the biggest different between MJ and pills is..you can OD on pills pretty easily. It's virtually impossible to OD on MJ. Some patients say that the pills didnt even kill the pain they were going through, and that they took a few hits of marijuana and IN MINUTES they felt like they could actually function and live their lives again. If you dont believe me just go online and search for those documentaries they all have very interesting information.

And for the record, marijuana also relaxes your body and muscles like you said so I agree with that.

8. James_B

James_B New Member

Well, thanks for the replies and feedback. Going to inquire at next drs appointment. Was wondering if anyone had data on marijuanas impact on a TBI? Anyone got any info? Again, thx for replies.

9. jmhereiam

jmhereiam New Member

Too clear something up, with the situation you are in definitely do not stop taking the pain pills (coming from someone with a lot of experience in that area). It is true that they are very addicting, but if you are in legitimate pain you shouldn't have to worry too much about that (judging by the dosage, you deff are in legitimate pain). When the time comes your doctor will gradually lower your pain med dosage til you can safely stop taking them, when you go cold turkey after long use of opiate pain killers is when you get the bad withdrawals, and you need to gradually reduce the mg's, your doctor will be able help you with that though.
    Second of all, Your best bet for pain relief would be a mix of the Marijuana and the Oxycontin/percocett. Be aware though those together hit you hard, but are safe to mix. I would definitely discuss it fully with your doctor, because it is possible that it could interfere with your healing, I'm really not 100percent sure though. Marijuana And Traumatic Brain Injury There is some info there on it. Let us know what your doctor says.

10. James_B

James_B New Member

Well, thanks for the reply's. Pain in the ass (literally, seeing as how my pelvic break is the one that is bothering) Doctor is on vacation and I'm going to the pain clinic I think pretty soon, waiting on a call. Think the pain clinic might raise dosage on the time released meds. But (sadly) I don't think they're writing scripts for MM. Suppose I will start smoking again. (Was infrequently at time of accident) pain in the ass though. Don't know anyone to get some from (regularly that is) ugh, will see, will keep you all informed. Thanks for the replies, joined to start this thread, but will chirp in on others as well methinks.