Underage smoking

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by aish13, Mar 7, 2005.

1. aish13

aish13 New Member

Hello,
    I read a lot of posts that mention concerns about parents or school etc....
    I would say that anyone under the age of 20 should seriously consider not using cannabis. Although there is a lot of evidence that cannabis use in adults is benign that isn't necessarily the case with minors. There is definate evidence that cannabis use in minors can be hazardous. The brain is still developing into the early 20's, and introducing foreign chemicals can be a serious danger to long term cognitive abilities. I speak about this subject as a professional scientist who has studied the research.

If you are under the age of 20 then wait to try cannabis.

2. Higher Logic

Higher Logic Web Developar

Uh, ok. So where is this "definate" evidence that cannabis is bad for minors? I tend to disagree with you 100% on this issue. I'll wait for the evidence though...

3. Blitzed King

Blitzed King New Member

Boooo

People under 20 shouldn't smoke weed? Serious hazards? What is that? That's like telling a bunch of kids to stop playing tag because they might fall into a sewer and die. Are you telling me that just because im 6 years under you're smoking age that I'm going to have problems with my brain? Like the other response, I disagree with you 100% as well. Think about every single high school kid that smokes cannabis after school to relax. And they're fathers. Do they all have brain damage? No. So what are you trying to say mr. scientist, because I think you're wrong and u could probably find evidence in this very site that contradicts you.

4. Higher Logic

Hey, let him show his evidence, then we can really debate this. Until then...wah wah wah...BUNK!

5. iGame3D

iGame3D Activist

Uhm 99.9% of all foods given to a "child" before they are 20 something introduces foreign chemicals to the human blood/brain.
    Vaccines...foreign virii
    Food coloring..what is that?
    Preservatives...
    Tooth Paste -- whats in that?
    How about tap water? I can tell you mine is full of chlorine and mmm lead.
    How about all the vile nastiness coming out of that car you drive?
    How many kids have you polluted with it? hmm?

etc etc onward and so on.

6. vladimir

vladimir Sr. Member

i think the problem is not physical damage from introducing foreign chemicals into your brain, since thc is not toxic. im sure that at very young ages it could actually hurt the brain, but i doubt much of that could happen after 14 (wild guess). but starting too early can hurt your psychological health significantly i think. people who start too early many times seem to get lost completly in a world of drugs and apathy, while living under the illusion that they can always just quit at any point, which they often times cant.
    id say, the later you start, the better.

7. dirdefukinbasd

dirdefukinbasd New Member

well i guess im screwed, seeings i started when i was around 14 and smoked daily until i was about 18. damn......

but then again, who isnt brain damaged these days?

8. Higher Logic

How so? Back in the 1800s and 1900s people gave cannabis tinctures to kids all the time. If it doesn't hurt adults, why would hurt a child? Smoking might not be the best idea for anyone, but you can't sit there and say it's going to mess them up and then all of a sudden at 25 say it's "ok" and it won't do anything anymore. Take away the stigma, that's the toxin right there.

9. Kamel Red

Kamel Red New Member

I would have to agree that smoking under a certain age wouldn't be good for business. Although I have no idea what that age should be. With little conclusive/unbiased research done, its hard to say what effect thc might have on a developing brain or person. It should be kept in mind that growing children are also going through a variety of other developments as well. I dont feel a definitive age could be stated but more of a maturity.

10. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

If you start too young, you never grow up. That's sad. On the bright side, you never grow old. You better listen up! I'm channeling Jerry Garcia.

11. Higher Logic

I guess I'm speaking from the perspective where, hypothetically speaking, cannabis has been legal for some time now, and it is "fine" for children to partake in cannabis use for certain reasons, and other children do not partake in this action simply because the stigma is removed and the whole forbidden fruit concept is gone. I mean, we can agree that 7-year-olds don't run around popping 20 aspirin do we? Stigma's gone, so is the use. Same concept for cannabis, prohibition is the problem however.

12. aposiopesis

aposiopesis New Member

I know psychological maturity doesn’t always correspond with age, and many 15 year-olds are more sensible than some 45 year olds. But generally speaking the younger you are the more likely you will overlook your mortality and drive stoned (or any other activity that requires full concentration for safety). It’s not fair for the more thoughtful and mature kids, but there’s always one.
    Marijuana is a psychoactive drug, if an individual child has a predisposition to psychiatric illness, marijuana may trigger a first episode, if it’s going to happen, best it happens later. Again theres always one.

For those reasons I don’t condone minors smoking, but having been one once, I know noone can stop a teenagers from doing whatever the hell they want to do.…. But until kids have had a bit of time to accrue some life experience and caution, it seems sensible to not condone it (from a legal standpoint), just to limit their opportunities to smoke & drive. This newfound sense of adult responsibility for minors I seem to have developed is entirely hypocritical though, given that I started smoking at 14. 16 years on, it hasn’t negatively affected me in any way as far as I am aware.

Having said that, if I had a 14 year old who wanted to smoke, I wouldn’t be delighted about it, but I’d not come down hard, because I’d prefer they felt comfortable enough to do it under my nose so I knew they were safe. Thats how my mum handled it, it worked out well, I smoked, she didn't worry (too much).

13. ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb New Member

Hey aposiopesis, I defenitley agree with you and your mother, and believe if a minor is to smoke, the safest place for them is in the home. I live with my old man (just me and my dad) and he used to smoke I bunch (from what I understand) when he was younger, now he prefers off-topic beverages, which I don't really like to see him do. Anyways, I smoke in the house against his will, but only in the winter, or late at night, we live in NH and right now there is foot of snow on the ground and 20 degree temps. He still *****es at me for it, but I've got nowhere else to go! I know if I ever had a child, I would prefer them to smoke in the house, if they are gonna do it, they are gonna do it. The parent has no choice in the matter. I don't understan why any parent would want there kids out in the woods smokin, or on the rail road beds (a very popular destination for underage smokers in this area, and its always swarming with cops). Isn't that way worse than smoking in your house? Maybe a parent could explain to me their logic as to why they would rather have their kid outside where they might get busted? -CN

14. snakedbz2

snakedbz2 New Member

Bing that most people even the peple on this site probably started when in high school and are now succesfull and responsible adults,proves that wrong right now and furthermore when younger i scored above average on every standardized test i took but was never a good student was labeled a problem child all my life hit high school 10th started smoking pot 11th grade i used to skip pretty much every day to go to class friday and score the highest in the class on the test took the graduation test high (i dont advise) but passed with honors. that alone should tell you that your statment was unfound and the fact that you never responded is more proof and now im about to go to college still tokin and im still smart

15. reefermadness1

reefermadness1 New Member

How young is too young? I disagree that 20 is a preferable age to start, many of us can and have started earlier with no problem. But than again, I've got friends that started around 11 and 12 and they aren't so well off now. So I'm cutting my line there; 12 years old is too young to smoke.

From a physician's point of view I've heard it stated that around 16 is a pretty appropriate time to start, after the frontal lobe slows down it's development.

16. Buzzby

Let's see.

There have been a lot of news stories about parents being arrested and jailed for facilitating minors smoking weed. All that takes is for them to allow you to smoke in the house.

You have elected to engage in an illegal activity. Your father has not. Why should he have to participate in the punishment if you get yourself busted?

How's that for a reason?

On the other hand, if your father doesn't allow you to smoke in the house and you do it anyway he's off the hook. But you can't smoke openly or create circumstances where your father would have to be blind or have no sense of smell to know you had pot or were smoking it. If you do that then your father would have plausible deniability and not be legally responsible.

Why do underage smokers continue to hang out in a place that's always swarming with cops? Did they smoke themselves stupid? :D

17. SacredJellybean

SacredJellybean False Prophet

While that very well may be, you must admit, it's much, MUCH harder for underage kids to get caught (by the cops) in a home setting than it is in a public setting, or anywhere outdoors, for that matter. Unless you live in an open country with plenty of quiet hiding spots (e.g. woods), it's hard to safely smoke outdoors.

18. Buzzby

The most common scenario is that the kid who's allowed to smoke in the house brags to his friends about it or invites them over to get high. They let it slip or try to get their parents to do the same because he gets to do it. This translates, eventually, into contributing to the delinquency of a minor and operating a house for the use of illicit drugs.

I've never found that to be the case - there's always a place.

Besides, ComfortablyNumb asked for a reason why a parent might not allow a child to smoke in the house. I gave him one. I also explained how he'd be a stand-up guy (or gal) if he'd provide his father with plausible deniability, i.e. he could smoke in the house in such a way that no one could construe that his father allows him to do it. The way to do that is to be as stealthy as possible.

19. weezer420

weezer420 New Member

I think that milk is more hazardious than marijuana is for "minors" or "people under 20" as was said. Have you seen the crap they've done to it? Homogenized? What kinda crap is that? I not also think milk is bad but have you seen what they've done to even fruits and vegies? They put so much science crap and hormones to make bigger foods and it really isn't safe. They've screwed up bananas to the point where they might become exctint in 50 years. I'd focus all my energy torwards that then "canibus is bad for people under 20" because dude... it's food how can you screw up and make food unhealthy? So seriously people need to focus on real problems like why they have to put unhealthy hormones in produce and live stock than "cannibus MIGHT not be a good idea because it's bad if you're under 20 blah blah blah". But then again... that's just my opinion.

20. yuri420

yuri420 New Member

Well, i dunno about that. i know 2 ppl hoos parents let them smoke at home n if i wana get toked i go there. Simple as that. Why would i want to bring my parents into it when ive got 2 destinations to smoke?