VA testing vets for THC

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by buzz, May 2, 2008.

1. buzz

buzz New Member

A vet I know who smoke weed at night to help him sleep got caught with a drug test when he went to his VA doctor. Now they cut off his meds and now he's really screwed. I use weed for my epilepsy and thinking next month when I go the might pull the same crap on me.

I pissed test there many time before when I've smoked and they never said a thing. I don't know if this is new?? anybody?? I need meds still for my epilepsy and going off will for sure start a seizure:eek:.

Don't know why the VA is screwing with vets all of the sudden?? Is this just a radom drug test or are they testing everyone?? I'm screwed both ways cause If I stop with the weed I have other type seizures as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of VA drug testing vets ?? Hope I got the right forum:D
  2. Trocisp

Trocisp Guest

I can't be certain, but I wouldn't think that the VA is allowed to do that... Doctor Patient confidentiality and all..
  3. mufasa5446

mufasa5446 New Member

http://www1.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?Pub_ID=249&FType=2

At first I thought you meant Veterinarians not veterans lol

I just googled and that's all I found... I'm not a vet though so I don't know. The link is from 1997 so I'm not sure.

EDIT: that website is for something totally different, my bad. But I'll leave it up, never know I might be onto something *sigh*
  4. buzz

buzz New Member

That link for employes of the VA itself although some of them need to be on drugs:eek: I'm just a vet who is required to go through a yearly screening through VA. This drug testing is all brand new for me. I've smoke weed before and I even told the doctor at va that I used weed for my seizures:hail:.

this testing crap pisses me off. Can I refuse it I wonder? just flat say no:lock:
    I'd probably need a DAV lawyer:confused: don't know why they go to screw with vets now:mad:
  5. BigGun1

BigGun1 New Member

I've been in the VA system and will be getting the majority of my care from them once I'm out of the Army. Last fall I was in the VA's six week PTSD treatment program and they piss tested us every Monday morning after coming back from the weekend and if anybody tested hot then they got booted from the program.

Once during a group discussion with the counselors someone brought up the idea of MJ for PTSD; they basically told us it wouldn't be happening anytime soon because of the Fed. Gov. stand on it and that if anyone who is getting any kind of care or monetary compensation from the VA pisses hot then everything stops and the person is shit out of luck.

I agree it's fucked up as I would like to resume smoking once I get out, I just plan on knowing in advance of when my checkups will be and make sure I'm cleaned out well before I show up for one.
  6. beezleb878

beezleb878 Sr. Member

It bet the follow the same guidelines as medicare and drug screening/testing is likely legal if you are prescribed pain medications.

What is a PTSD and if your still in the Army than you do not have the same rights and protections as civilian.

I do not believe they could legally refuse an eligible person for care, now they may find a loophole to change someones eligibility but it would have to be governed by regulations.
  7. buzz

buzz New Member

I'm a 100% disabled vet for 15 years now. Va considers me permanent disabled due to my epilepsy. I've been on a boatload of pills and for true weed really does help me. If I stop for a while I know I'm going to have some seizures before I have to go to VA.

This is just something new to me cause I'm sure over the last five years or so I must have pissed dirty more than once and they did nothing. I wonder if I could get some type of drink to clean up a day or two before?? I been smoking for a while so I don't know how long I'd have to stop to get clean

For me between 3-5 days is enough to get me into a seizure mode and I sure don't want that hell again. Going to be interesting if MI passes medical marijuana this fall:hail:
  8. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

The ironic thing about this is that the Israeli army is using marijuana to treat PTSD in their troops. They've found it to be superior to any conventional drug used for that purpose.
    3 people like this.
  9. W o O c H a

W o O c H a New Member

PTSD = Post traumatic stress disorder

You do not want it. Eventually if gone untreated could lead to insanity.
  10. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

what state do you live in? some states do have medical exam requirements for certain forms of social insurance. medicaid is a big one, especially since requirement for medicaid eligibility is used as a prerequisite to qualify for veterans health benefits in some cases. i can't find any specifics to link you to right now, but i might be able to dig something up if i know which state is being dealt with.
  11. buzz

buzz New Member

Michigan it's just through the VA. Vetrans affairs. A fellow told me they do to just to cut back on money. Figure if you smoke weed you don't need your other meds I guess. VA always seems to me if they can take one step to help or five to hurt they always take five:eek:........buzz
  12. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

i know what the VA is, and yes, cutting back on money is one of the reasons for medical exams and/or drug testing. however, some states have recently just begun including drug screenings as a part of the medical exams to qualify for certain forms of social insurance benefits which is why i asked. that's how insurance works, be it private or public. the less risks they have, the less claims they have to file, and the more money they can pay out for claims and benefits. i'll do some digging and get back to you.
  13. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

was your friend at the doctor for more than just a regular checkup? in 1999, michigan began requiring drug tests to recieve state health benefits, but that ruling was overturned in 2003... i don't know, i've searched both google and my university's printed legal resource site, and i can't find anything that says that a veteran would be drug tested just to keep their benefits eligibility in michigan. i feel like there are details missing.
  14. buzz

buzz New Member

Every year we are required to have a checkup by VA for the basic stuff blood pressure, diabetics, bad heart, kinda of a quick scan to check for any problems. They draw blood urine and a week later you hook up with the doc and he tells you the news. Good/bad numbers on screening stuff.

So the doc comes in and tells him eveything checks out ok but he gets no more pain meds cause he tested postive for Thc. They give him the evils about weed and scare him about how they can take away his disabilty and all his stuff if he comes up dirty again.

any info you can find would be great.

Thank you so much for your help.....b:D
  15. W o O c H a

W o O c H a New Member

If theres any chance at all, just move up to canada.
  16. buzz

buzz New Member

Man talk about paranoid I just got a freaking:confused: letter in the mail from the VA stating that I have to enter into a pain agreement with them. If I don't sign on and do the drug test they can stop giving me my pain meds.

This is bullshit. I've had chronic pain for years now. I'm not a pill head and don't abuse them I'm a 100% diasbled vet and now these butthead want to stop my meds after all these years. Yea I smoke weed . I have epilepsy and use weed to control my seizures.

What they going to do if Mi passes medical MJ this fall and I get a script from a doc?? This is total bullshit . If my grandbabys wern't here my ass would already be on the way to canada:hail:
  17. BigGun1

BigGun1 New Member

The problem with the VA being federally run is that they don't care what state laws are. Every state in the U.S. could pass medical MJ laws and it still wouldn't matter to them. It's fucked up I know but what can we really do about it?
    2 people like this.
  18. buzz

buzz New Member

Well I'm going to tell them they can shove that pain agreement up their asses :D MJ has helped me big time with my sezuires and I'm not going back to that crap again. Guess I'll have to smoke more:angel: No really I'll talk to my private care doctor. He's pretty good and he knows I use weed for my epilepsy anyway.

Hear that some vets were selling their pills but how is testing for weed going to stop that:confused:. They even want to do random test where a doc can call you anytime to come in and piss test.:wtf:Forget that crap. I did that enough when I was on active duty:D going to be interesting to see how this works out........buzz
  19. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

let us know how it goes! i'm a double major in risk management/insurance and finance which is why i thought i could help, but i guess you got your answer in the mail :shrug:

good luck and keep us posted! i'm interested to see what happens, too... :wave:
  20. buzz

buzz New Member

Yea I have to choose do i want the pain or the epilepsy? all these decisions to make. :D ...... sure going be interesting keep you posted and thanks...buzz;)