Want to help? Here's a few places to start.

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Lit_Match, Oct 7, 2007.

1. MeatBucket

MeatBucket New Member

To the Obama campaign:

I'm a republican, just like my parents. While on most issues I agree with McCain over Obama, there is one that is quite important to me, as well as thousands of others, and that is the candidates' position on Cannabis Decriminlization.

At one point Obama said that in his opinion the war on drugs needed a second look. "We need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws." I couln't agree more. It seems, unfortunately, that his views have changed during his campaign.

It is clear that Obama is educated, on some level, of the real facts about marijuana. Him flip-flopping his view on marijuana decriminilizatin because of his campaign is unfortunate, but I feel that he has a realistic view over the subject.

McCain has made his view on Marijuana laws quite clear. His ignorance in this area makes his ability to be a well decision-making president questionable. It seems he, as well as the majority of the nation who oppose marijuana decriminilization, bases his biased opinion on the innaccurate info the government and media have fed us over the decades instead of looking at the facts.

I don't need to tell you the facts and arguments that you've heard before, but by looking at these FACTS, it makes one wonder why possession of a harmless drug (less harmful than tobacco products or alcohol) is considered a felony.

Statistics of efforts to decriminalize marijuana make it easy to see that it is only a matter of time before it actually happens. I am hoping that if I were to vote for Obama this process will happen more quickly. Otherwise, we can waste more American tax dollars putting innocent people behind bars instead of focusing on *real* criminals.
    2 people like this.
  2. Molly23

Molly23 New Member

Unless you're donating money to one of the above mentioned orgs, voting for pro-mj candidates and writing your elected officials, you have no right to complain about the laws against adults using marijuana, you probably don't even have the right to smoke it. please, everybody, get off the couch, put down the remote and be active. If everyone who used marijuana were to join NORML and/or MPP, and be actively involved, we'd be as visible as AARP and NRA combined and we'd have weed legalized in 5 years. Heck even that's too damned long!
  3. 420London

420London New Member

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul.
    Come to the Chat... Join the Party

I made a comment on another forum thread (mine) about how lonely a chatroom was with just one person. That one person at yours is me. :p
  4. 420 Medical

420 Medical New Member

Good Cause

Donating to a good cause, it's the movement to legalize marijuana. And anything I can do to help, I'm there.:)
  5. fhISkrista

fhISkrista New Member

I wrote this to all my state representatives and will be donating once i get a job.

Dear Representative Leader,

I am proud to say I live in the United States of America. I am proud of our freedoms and liberties that many people in other countries could only dream of. In these hard times we are still a rich country compared to others and we will always be a great country. There is only a few things about this great country I cannot understand the number one thing being the criminalization of Marijuana. Marijuana is currently the number one cash crop in America it outsells all legal crops by millions, but it is still an illegal drug. I do not see why our government is not looking into legalizing Marijuana seriously. It could do wonders for this great country of ours such as, be a steady income for government projects like road building and looking into renewable energy resources. We could also overhaul our prison systems and stop putting our citizens who have committed a minor crime of possessing Marijuana into prison with criminals who have been put in jail for doing hard drugs such as methamphetamine, cocaine, heroine, or are incarcerated for committing violent acts. Having 5% of the worlds population in our prison system is not something our country should be proud of, it should be a thing our country is trying to fix. I hope that one day our government will get over the stigma that has been around Marijuana since it was slandered against by people like Harry J. Anslinger who spread propaganda and racism to make Marijuana illegal. This is a quote from Anslinger "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." -Harry J. Anslinger. Could a public figure get away with saying a thing such as that today? I do not think so he would be called a racist and be made to apologize to the people they offended. So why are we still protecting the laws that were made 90 or more years ago by men who would be looked at as bigots and racists in today's society? I hope that our country will do what is right and look at Marijuana as a profitable business for our country instead of a drug our country needs to go to war on. By decriminalizing Marijuana, we will get more dealers off the street, spend less time and money using our police force to go after Marijuana users and dealers. We could cut out a good portion of drug traffic going through our borders and help Mexico by cutting out a huge chunk of profits and business for their drug cartels. In the end I would say there are more pros than cons to legalizing Marijuana and I think it would be good for our nation if we did. It could be the thing that makes our great country an even greater country.
  6. Maps420

Maps420 New Member

Well I havent read all the post here, but As soon as my bank card comes in the mail Ill be signed up and donating! Ive spent thousands on mj so im sure I can make monthly donations no problem.
    2 people like this.
  7. aewebb

aewebb New Member

donated! thanks for the link.
  8. Payless

Payless Sr. Member

i'm opening a bank account tomorrow and the first thing i'm doing is donating to norml.

WHO WILL JOIN US?!
    :soapbox:
  9. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

In Wisconsin,you can support Madison NORML monetarily at madsterdam.org

You can be on our street team by signing up with [email protected] with Subject: Street Team

In 2011 we are looking for people in Wisconsin villages and cities to file with the clerk a binding referendum to make the penalty for cannabis possession and growing similar to a parking ticket. You file with the clerk, get signatures within 60 days of filing and submit to clerk *(we can help you with this whole process and can help find people to help collect signatures)

Please contact [email protected] for more details.

You could go to Madison NORML meetings and join a committee.

Alternate chapters: Go to Northern Wisconsin NORML Official Website if you are closer to the Fox Valley/Green Lake areas. Or check out Milwaukee/Southeast NORML on Facebook.
  10. EndDrugWar

EndDrugWar New Member

If you help a state get legal, then the rest will follow. Help out the home of Hemp fest, WA state by going through their affiliate Amazon.com link when or if you shop at Amazon.com and pass the info to your friends. It's a great way to help them get funding without any extra cost to you!

https://sensiblewashington.org/blog/

The link in on the right side of the page with the amazon logo.

Thanks!
  11. Davesnot Here

Davesnot Here New Member

Davesnot Here

My thoughts on Marijuana in America. The so-called "war on drugs" is an absolute failure; Americans must demand the immediate reallocation of funds away from the unconstitutional persecution and harassment of marijuana smokers (American citizens) and a refocusing on the real drugs that are having a detrimental effect on society.
    Davesnot Here
  12. swimguy112

swimguy112 New Member

13. Ozzy_OG_Kush

Ozzy_OG_Kush New Member

Just wanted to chime in and say support your local reform organizations! NORML.org has a Chapter listing for every state, and some other countries too!
  14. kbubb91

kbubb91 New Member

dynocorp is pulling the strings, thats why marijuana is illegal. if you want marijuana legal you have to do something about dynocorp first
  15. BroadwaY420

BroadwaY420 New Member

"It had become clear that as long as Obama's forums allowed the public to vote on topics for the president to address, the top-ranked questions would be about legalizing marijuana or even ending the War on Drugs altogether. Reluctant to confront the issue further, the White House recently changed its approach and announced an April 20, 2011 event on Facebook in which participants will not be allowed to vote at all. Questions can be sent in by email or posted on the Facebook page, but Obama's staff will make selections without any public input."

Once again, even though this is a HUGE issue, the government is silencing us. *sigh* Too bad we can't force them to listen and address the problems that are affecting us the MOST.
  16. SativaMe@420

SativaMe@420 New Member

Representatives Barny Frank and Ron Paul introduced H.R. 5843, an "Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults" in the House of Representatives, Barny Frank stated in a CNN interview that "This is a case where the voters are ahead of the politicians", this is why I think its a great idea for all cannabis supporters to write their government officials, congress representatives and like the OP said, or even the President. If they started getting thousands upon thousands of letters they would be much more likely to listen. I mean it is just absolutely ridiculous how much money we are spending on marijuana related, busts, arrests and prosecutions when the real problems are things like terrorism, crystal meth, disease, hunger and dwindling natural resources. Here's the CNN interview:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMYz5C2oFc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪HELP MAKE MARIJUANA LEGAL RIGHT NOW!‬‏[/ame]
  17. VApot

VApot New Member

18. lovington420

lovington420 New Member

marijuana is a safe drug as long as you get prioities straight like get your work done then smoke some dope
  19. #BuD

#BuD New Member

Once I get a good paying job i'm going to start donating to Norml more. That doesn't stop me from writing letters to the senator.
  20. RebelRyder

RebelRyder New Member

Writing to Legislative Subcomittees too

I'm thinking that money arguments at this time could be more influential than emotional ones, or to point out inconsistencies & prejudices on maintaining the status quo.

Information that I've found recently is a study in 2008 by Harvard economist Jeffrey A. Miron which estimates that legalizing drugs would inject $76.8 billion a year into the U.S. economy — $44.1 billion from law enforcement savings, and at least $32.7 billion in tax revenue. That's assuming legal drugs are taxed at rates similar to those on alcohol and tobacco. Since marijuana greatly dominates the statistics for the government's term of 'illicit drug use', this study can be useful to infer to monies involved for legalizing marijuana.

I am wanting to write to all of the members in the subcommittees of both the House Of Representatives & the Senate that has jurisdiction on drugs & narcotics.
    =>> Anybody know which subcommittees in each legislative branch would be best to write to ??