What age did you start smoking/ What age SHOULD people start smoking?!

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Mikeman9412, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mikeman9412

Mikeman9412 New Member

Exactly what the question says guys haha

2. SenorSmokesALot

SenorSmokesALot Subscriber

I've smoked when I was really young (early teens) but I didn't start steadily smoking until I was about 17. Personally I think it's all about maturity level and not age. There are many young smokers I've met (mostly on this site) who I feel are really valuable members of the weed community. Then again, I've met several people who were older smokers and they abused the herb.

3. marijuanatoke

marijuanatoke New Member

To be completely honest, I started smoking when I was 13 years old because my older brother who was 17 at the time was doing it, and I looked up to him. Though I believe your second question is not necessary because in all honesty, you shouldn't start smoking.

4. SenorSmokesALot

SenorSmokesALot Subscriber

Why shouldn't someone start smoking, you know, aside from the legality of it?

4 people like this.
  5. theAZguy

theAZguy New Member

I started smoking bud at 14. I think 16 or 17 is the age most people should think about smoking. I agree with SenorSmokesAlot in that maturity is more important than age.

4 people like this.
  6. Mackenzieee

Mackenzieee New Member

I smoked for the first time at age 15 and I was always around it in high school, but never used it regularly.

I became a heavy, real pot smoker in college.

I'm happy I waited until I was at least out of the house before I got a hobby I couldn't hide from my parents.
    I feel like people should be able to smoke whenever they want to as long as they have the proper maturity and mental skills to not abuse it. But at the same time, kids in high school should still try to be conscious of not breaking their parent's rules as long as their parents are paying the rent and for food, because weed sure does get about a million times more expensive when you actually have to pay your own bills.

7. lizardqueen

lizardqueen New Member

I first tried smoking when I was 14 but not heavily until 16. And yeah i definitely agree maturity really is everything. When I was in 6th grade I remember being facinated with drugs for some reason. I actually looked forward to going to health class to learn about all the different drugs aha. But really I was ready to smoke by that age but it was just a matter of obtaining it. But my little brother is the same age now as I was when I first started..and I just can't ever see him smoking based on his maturity level.

8. BigYellowJoint

BigYellowJoint New Member

i didn't smoke until i was 21. just never seemed to come in contact with anyone that was into weed. now i vape every day.

as for when someone 'should' start, in a perfect world perhaps we could quantify maturity and figure out exactly how mature someone should be before they're given something like marijuana. failing that, i think the old argument "if you're old enough to die for your country you should be old enough to have someone buy you a beer." would be a good meter, although it's still pretty much arbitrary.

it would be awesome if you could only get weed if someone had given it to you first. that way, as long as no one slips up and gives it to some douche, it would only be passed on to those who have proved themselves to be legit human beings.

9. Mikeman9412

Mikeman9412 New Member

WOW! Same here! I took D.A.R.E. in 5th grade and I was amazed when the officer explained, "If you take this it will make you hallucinate or etc..." I was amazed! Haha So I guess D.A.R.E. Started a fascination about drugs, :cool:

2 people like this.
  10. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

started at 15, was smoking daily by 20 after I moved back from Europe and into my own place. I don't think there is a particular age that people should start smoking... but I always shudder when 12-14 year olds talk about how cool it is getting high... 17-18 would be ideal, IMO.

11. steveisaninja10

steveisaninja10 New Member

i first smoked at 13 and it became an everyday thing when i was 15. i smoked for the first time because i learned about the day 420 and i asked my best friend who is 4 years older than me to smoke with me, it was all personal choice and curiosity for me. I feel too that the age you start at depends on your maturity

12. SaNcT17

SaNcT17 New Member

I took my first hit at age 15. People shouldnt start at a certain age, they should just start if they think they're ready for its effects. Learn a lot about marijuana before they consume it.

13. LoAnnaLove

LoAnnaLove Active Member

my first time smoking was in jamaica when i was 12 with some 27 year olds part of my sisters wedding party. didnt smoke pot again till grade 9. only did it once in grade 9, then in grade 10 was when i started to smoke weed like a normal stoner. when i was 17 was when i started smoking weed everyday. my grade 12 days were spent by being stoned in every class. was dumb but i am smarter and work harder in class when high. i think the ideal age would be grade11 or 12. i think i started smoking weed way to early, even when i got into the normal habit of it. i wish i would have been clueless of its effects till i was atleast 18.

14. toke_after_toke

toke_after_toke New Member

Started last year when I was 14. Now I am fifteen and I plan on continuing to smoke every day or so. I recently smoked with a lot older adults at a Phish concert though and noticed that they act basically the same as me and my friends so I think it was fine starting at the age I did because I was mature enough. Although in all honesty if I had a choice I would have liked to start a tad bit later, like maybe starting now.

15. starvingartist

starvingartist New Member

The first time I smoked I was 14 going on 15 and in my freshmen year of high school. The first time I ever smoked was the first time I ever got drunk too lol. Double shot in one weekend. I partied from Friday to Sunday. Best weekend ever hah. I was so scared to hit the Zong that I made everyone in the circle go before me and my boyfriend at the time who got me started smoking (more his friends pressured me) had to effing light the lighter because I didnt even know how. lol

and honestly, i have a younger brother who just turned 14 in June and I definitely dont want him to smoke at all until hes like 16-17, so i guess either im a hypocrit or just a protective sister haha. idk, i just dont really want him to rush his expiriences and stay clean for as long as he can. when i was 14-15 obviously i felt old, but now looking back, i did a lot of risky shit back then that me and my friends probably couldve gotten in a lot of trouble for had we ever been caught. lol

16. Hellraz0r

Hellraz0r Sr. Member

I tried it a couple of times when I was 17, and a few months after I was 18 I started smoking it more regularly. The age people should start smoking is around 18 I think, or if they've got the maturity of an 18 year old.

However I'm quite glad I was anti-pot for so long because it stopped me from smoking it, until I said to myself I've got to open my mind and ended up smoking it more.

17. CannaBabe

CannaBabe New Member

Omg that's so random, I was thinking about that program when I read the original comment! They had this board with "samples" of every different drug and descriptions and I thought it was so interesting how you could hallucinate and stuff... whenever I think about drugs I have a visual memory of that board haha.

18. Dark

Dark Fool on the Hill

The effects of marijuana on a developing brain is still pretty unknown. In the least, it is a good assumption that marijuana - or really, anything that you take that alters how the mind naturally works - will have negative effects on a teenagers maturity and intellect.
    I started at 14, and while I would be lying if I said I regretted it, I do feel that I would have saved myself a few problems if I had just waited until I was a bit more mature and had a grasp on the world around me. Teenage years are some of the most important years for a developing mind. I think safety and abstinence from drugs is very important because it lets you see the world how it is and lets you learn real life values.
    In a world where your popularity is gauged by how fast you can chug a beer, it's important to realize your own self worth before experimenting with any type of mind-altering substances.

3 people like this.
  19. starvingartist

starvingartist New Member

Holy shit! i Remember that board! i recall all my classmates and I being fascinated by all the different times of drugs and shit, and less about what they did. some people were even laughing so obviously there were very early bloomers when it comes to drug use. I was in 5th grade when i saw the board too

2 people like this.
  20. klax

klax New Member

I started at 16, and I don't think anyonw should start smoking before that. I had a pretty good grip on who I was and what I thought about things. I wanted to learn more and see what all the fuss was about, now I know things I would've just been getting to otherwise.