What Colors mean What?

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by Dreau Preau, May 11, 2009.

1. Dreau Preau

Dreau Preau New Member

Okay, I've smoked a fair share of different strains and the ones of particular quality always seem to have a unique color. I always thought that red hairs and white crystals serve as the storage for the THC, and yet there are certain weed variants that are famed for being dark, or purplish (purple haze, black widow, etc.), and then you've got some strains of Kush, which is definitely good, but is a lush green. So I was wondering, is the dark part THC or some other active toxin? Does the dark have any sort of effect distinct from the white when smoked? I haven't experimented enough with high-class weed to distinguish effects and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

2. mcmlxx

mcmlxx New Member

you asked a very good questions, i would like to know all that myself. and do different colour hairs mean different things too?

3. Plainsman1963

Plainsman1963 New Member

As far as I know, different colors of the weed are due to different levels of photo-reactive pigments in the plant pigments are not psycho-active--as only the D-9-THC is the psychoactive compound in the weed. I too have seen exotically pigmented buds in magazine such as HighTymes and in real-life---and wondered if the exotic colors conferred any "special" potency. To date, I have concluded that the exotic colorations are only superficialities that lend a fancy appearance of the bud/leaf. I have smoked some orange colored buds that were just as potent as dark-brown colored buds.

Plant pigments are just by-products of the particular strain---think of the analogy like a red rose, yellow rose, pink rose---they all smell like rose--if you were blindfolded-- but have a different color. Plant pigments in and of themself do NOT confer any psychoactive effect.

4 people like this.
  4. Timecow

Timecow Sr. Member

Different strains have some different colors, but ALL strains wil vary in color depending on the light and the nutrients while growing. There really is no color that indicates a better quality. That being said, if you look at the bag you are buying, and it's all brown, dry, and loose, odds are it's not very good. It's easy enough to tell if you are getting decent weed by giving it a good look and sniff, but as with most things in life, there are exceptions. (As in: I have had weed that looked like complete shit, but ended up being pretty good) Always best if you can smoke a bit with your dealer first, but that is not always possible.

5. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

The coloration of the leaves and buds has everything to do with pigments and nothing to do with potency.

The coloration of the "hairs" has a lot to do with when the buds were harvested in the flowering cycle. Pale ones indicate early harvesting and intensely colored "hairs" mean that it was harvested later. This has some implications about the THC to CBD ratio. Plants harvested later have more CBD, giving the weed more sedative effects.

2 people like this.
  6. smokinwiddow420

smokinwiddow420 New Member

black widdow is just a white widdow plant that has dark leaves not buds. and the color of hairs have nothing to do with the strength of the strain, just how long the buds were cured. and yes if you see alot of tricombs (the crystals on the buds) then its gooooood shit.