What do you tell non-pot doctors?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by InfectedWithMJ, Dec 9, 2009.

1. InfectedWithMJ

InfectedWithMJ New Member

When they ask 'Do you smoke?' and you only vape - what do you answer in non medical MJ state? A record of MJ use can disqualify from insurances and some docs will attribute all your problems to MJ use...

2. OldTimeToker

OldTimeToker Sr. Member

Unless they are pee testing you, dont say you smoke at all! They cant look at you and tell you smoke unless you smell like it or are obviously blazed out of your mind.

Doctors arnt cops though, and they could honestly care less about your personal life. Their only job is to make sure your healthy, so you dont even need to tell them you smoke.

2 people like this.
  3. InfectedWithMJ

InfectedWithMJ New Member

Well... cigarette smoking does affect your body real bad it does make a difference when it comes down to treatment and medications. Pot is different but it still affects your lungs. Chronic bronchitis develops in MJ smokers often.

Are you 100% sure that non-disclosure of MJ usage will never ever affect diagnosis, treatment, and medication for any disease out there? Even a non-pot related lung disease?

4. OldTimeToker

OldTimeToker Sr. Member

They could care less about your personal business, and like I said they're just doing their jobs. Some cops may feel its not right to arrest people for pot, but its just their job. You might as well take a chance and have a good probability of not getting caught, but at least you wont get denied coverage NOW.

5. metanoia

metanoia Smoke. Weed.

Legally they can't tell anyone you smoke pot. Even if you're underage they can't even tell your parents. If you're already in a bad condition health wise, tell them, if you're not, try avoiding talking about anything illegal in a doctor's office, they'll probably think you're on worse shit too.

6. icouldcareless64

icouldcareless64 New Member

metania, if you are a minor they are allowed to tell your parents. However, most of the posts are right: Doctors don't tell on the cops and only care about your health and take a Hippocrates oath for confidentiality. There is a chance he will dismiss you, stop prescription, etc because of liability or they don't feel comfortable with a marijuana user as a client.

7. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

That has always been my philosophy regarding this issue. I have had the same GP for many years, and I have never told her of my cannabis usage. (I vaporize 99.9% of the time) She has always been able to treat me very well.

2 people like this.
  8. tdlex420

tdlex420 Sr. Member

Some of you must have some shitty doctors if you can't tell them you smoke weed. Granted telling them isn't a necessity but who knows if you are honest about it and your state legalizes MMJ you could be one step closer to getting a card if your doctor knows it helps you. I'd have no problem telling my doctor that I smoke weed if he asked.

2 people like this.
  9. Lpwn_Ranger

Lpwn_Ranger Sr. Member

I told my doctor because I had pneumonia and I was afraid that usage could make it worse
    She said it had no effect, but to avoid smoking for at least a month after recovery.
    Doctors are smart, they can tell the difference between a marijuana user and a junkie, chances are if you say you just use marijuana moderately they will not think twice about other drugs, they will probably tell you that smoking is bad and to avoid it, typical doctor advice.
    Best thing to do though is just don't bring it up.

10. UpInFlames

UpInFlames Sr. Member

You can't compare cigarette smoke to marijuana smoke. Marijuana smoke causes minimal to no damage to your lungs. It's not going to affect a doctors diagnoses.

If any of my doctors ask about my cannabis use, I always tell them the truth. Most doctors are very well educated and know that marijuana is nothing to worry about. Doctors cannot disclose any information about you to anyone, or they'd be breaking the law. So they legally can't tell anyone about your marijuana usage, unless you're a minor in which case they might tell your parents.

I live in California, and the doctors I have told about my marijuana use have always been accepting of it. They've never even given me that 'smoking is bad' crap. My old doctor actually had a medical marijuana license.

2 people like this.
  11. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

Doctors can't tell the police anything you tell them due to Dr./patient privilege. The Hippocratic oath has little to do with confidentiality (nothing at all to do with it in it's original form) and taking it is not even a requirement to become a physician, though several universities still use it. Even a physician who has taken the oath could reveal medical information without any repercussions stemming from the oath. Law enforcement, on the other hand, will have something to say about it.

12. MrIMStoned

MrIMStoned |BIG BROTHER|

I trust my doctor, as anyone should. Even if I didn't he couldn't divuldge any of the information I tell him, so who cares. What is really important is that he knows everything about me. The more your doctor knows about you, the more apt he will be at diagnosing(is that the right word?) you.

2 people like this.
  13. sanfranciscosadhu

sanfranciscosadhu New Member

I wouldn't want to have a doctor I couldn't be completely open and honest with, otherwise what's the point.

14. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

I have a great doctor.

15. joshpackr

joshpackr Sr. Member

I wouldn't unless you have to. I had to tell mine because he treats me for bi-polar and some of the meds he prescribes me are controlled substances and it's the policy of that particular practice to drug screen all patients who are prescribed controlled substances. I'm not 100% sure why but I have to piss in a cup at every visit. I do some lip about the weed most of the time because this GP is anti-marijuana.

I actually told him one time when he told me to stop using cannabis to shut up and write my script so I could leave. I wasn't paying him to scold me.

I wouldn't even take my meds or go to the doctor over it if I weren't afraid of the lows I experience. I can get pretty low sometimes and I could see how I could be dangerous to myself under the right circumstances so I take my meds.

I can also get a bit angry at times too if someone is pushing my buttons. I've never assaulted anyone but I could also see how the rage could take over and I might not be able to turn it off. That's another reason I take my meds.

But I digress, don't tell your doctor unless he/she is pro marijuana. No good will come of it.

2 people like this.
  16. tdlex420

tdlex420 Sr. Member

You also vape, which I meant to include in my post. If you vape there is absolutely no reason to fill the doctor in, but if you smoke it then that could be a different story. I wasn't speaking about you as much as I was others.

2 people like this.
  17. Vicki

Vicki Cat Whisperer

Ok, I understand what you are saying. :)

18. king cola

king cola Sr. Member

I never tell my doctor that I'm a user of pot. I also don't smoke pot all the time or vaporize all the time. I'm not a user of cigarettes. The only thing I really say to them when they ask about drug or alcohol use is that I'm a user of alcohol. That way if they put me on any medication they will inform me if I can drink on certain medications or not.

19. gompers

gompers New Member

I realize doctors are under oath to keep your information confidential, but at what point does it become pertinent to report to insurance, police, etc?

For instance, try telling your doctor that you think about suicide often. A GP will be forced to refer, or to call professionals to help. This may or may not include non-health related personnel. (At least thats what I've always heard occur)

Does drug use really stay a secret, or do they inform someone?

This question has always kept my use a secret. I would love to talk to my doctor about every substance that has entered my body, and get honest opinions in person, face-to-face. However, fear is still very much present.

20. UpInFlames

UpInFlames Sr. Member

Well there's always a chance something like that could happen, but you have to understand how unlikely it is. I could live in constant fear that the world is going to end, and there is a chance it can happen at any moment, but I would rather focus on the positive possiblities in my life. Marijuana, for me, is definitely a positive aspect in my life, therefore I will never be ashamed or afraid of admitting to using it.

2 people like this.