What Happens if it's Legal?

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Weirdbeard, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Weirdbeard

Weirdbeard New Member

Myself and a friend were having this discussion regarding the "what if" scenario of Marijuana being made legal. His argument is that he like pot being illegal because there is little to no involvement with it from major corporations as long as it is an illegal substance. His argument goes like this... "Once it's legal some mega billion dollar company will get a patten for the rights to grow, refine and distribute marijuana. Then everything we buy will be chemically altered and pumped full of crap we don't want to smoke anyway. Once that happens they will make it illegal to grow your own because you don't have "Permission" to do so from the billion dollar corp and we are right back where we started."

As crazy as it sounds I can't really argue this "what if" scenario with him. When you consider there are companies like Monsanto out there... Monsanto's development and marketing of genetically engineered seed and bovine growth hormone, as well as its aggressive litigation, political lobbying practices, seed commercialization practices and "strong-arming" of the seed industry have made the company controversial around the world and a primary target of the alter-globalization movement and environmental activists. In 2009 Monsanto came under scrutiny from the U.S. Justice Department, which began investigating whether the company's activities in the soybean markets were breaking anti-trust rules.

So imagine if a company like this got hold of pot seeds! Goodbye seed banks, goodbye co-op growers, goodbye to the good old natural weed we all enjoy. These guys own the rights to fucking soybeans! So don't think it's impossible for a company to control the distribution rights of a plant because this company DOES JUST THAT!

My question to you my fellow pot loving friends is... Is he right? What happens if we do get our dream and Mary Jane is all of a sudden legal? Would it be a dream come true or the start of yet another nightmare? o_O

3 people like this.
  2. bucs420

bucs420 New Member

I personally would rather have it decriminalized than legalized, just think walking into a 7-11 or gas station and being able to buy a pack of pre rolled joints, sounds good right? I don't think so, the price will be inflated and they will add all kinds of stuff we don't need in weed. It also takes some of the thrill out of smoking. If they legalize pot it will just end up being like "spice", or "k2".

3. friedfever

friedfever New Member

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. With competition comes lower prices. The only reason it costs as much as it does now is the fact that it is against the law.
    The only people who want it to stay illegal is the drug dealers and the DEA and of course the occasional dumb ass. Which one are you?

4 people like this.
  4. Weirdbeard

Weirdbeard New Member

My personal belief is that if it's legal you will see a lot of different big businesses jumping all over it. The idea of going to the 7-11 for your pack of joints (Mass produced by one of the big tobacco companies) will be a reality... But with that comes the fillers, chemicals, fire safe paper, carpet glue and a million other things that nobody wants to smoke. Or in the case of your local grocery store you will have your chemically mutated fruits and veggies (i.e. bananas, tomatoes etc..) or the organic choice of growing yourself or buying it from a reputable source that is growing it organically without chems and other nasty stuff. The idea of it being "OWNED" outright by any one company or another seems a little extreme to me. Not to mention that once it becomes legal it will be really hard for someone to police what is purchased at a store or grown at home. It would be like trying to police corn you buy at the market vs. corn you grow in your garden. Once it's harvested cooked and put on a plate side buy side who is going to be able to tell the difference? I can understand my friends concern but I don't think it would be as bad as what he is talking about... At least I would hope not

5. friedfever

friedfever New Member

If it were legal, I'm sure you'd have Big Tobacco or Big Booze jump into the market. Remember that it will be consumer driven. Sure, they may add stuff to the weed but if the consumers don't want that type of weed, they'll buy it from someone who will provide the type of smoke that the customers want. If the market is trending towards a purely organic smoke, then those who produce that kind will prevail. Oh and if some big company makes a form of weed with a really high THC level and tastes like strawberries, then hooray for them.

3 people like this.
  6. friedfever

friedfever New Member

I just get pissed at people who would like weed to stay illegal but decriminalized. Sure the guy who is walking around with a small amount of weed won't be punished very severely but the guy that has to make the weed still gets fucked. But the decrim people are too selfish or short sighted or too fucking stupid to see that. Plus they haven't any common sense when it market pricing for weed. Its expensive because its illegal. Weed shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks an ounce....its just a fucking plant that grows anywhere.

7. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

You can patent a variety of a plant that you develop yourself. You cannot patten the 5,000 varieties of cannabis that have already been developed. If cannabis is legalized, it is certain that large corporations would get into growing and merchandising it. It is equally certain that what goes into a commercial product will be determined by what customers want to buy. The additives in most commercial cigarettes are there because their corporate producers have determined that they sell more cigarettes that way.

If you want additive-free pre-rolled joints, someone will make them, just as they make additive-free cigarettes for the niche market that wants them. There would be upscale connoisseur outlets for those with highly-educated tastes and extra cash. And you'd always be able to grow your own, if that suits your fancy.

7 people like this.
  8. vvicked0471

vvicked0471 Super mod

You cannot apply for a patent the grants you the "rights" to grow something.

You also cannot patent a naturally occurring plant. You can, however, patent a pharmaceutical made from a plant and the process involved in making it. You can't patent the process of growing the plant because it's already public knowledge. You couldn't patent the seeds unless you were to change them genetically from the currently available seeds. Basically, nothing about growing marijuana can be patented, even hydroponics and aeroponics, and the seeds can nly be patented if there is a genetic change. So, if a company changes a seed at the genetic level then patents it, only that strain of seeds would be patented and unavailable to the public without a license.

More or less, the entire patent aspect of your friends argument is bunk.

As for a company growing it and then adding chemicals, that certainly could happen. At that point you could grow your own or source it from a company that guarantees their crops to be free of additives and fillers.

Decriminialization is a joke. Weed is still illegal, just not criminal, and it's possession growth and distribution is still illegal. Plus it won't drop the price at all as it is still an illicit substance. Full legalization is the only way to go.

6 people like this.
  9. claygooding

claygooding DrugWarVeteran

I think that if most of us are willing to be fodder in America's war on marijuana by going to prison for possessing marijuana while it is illegal,,worrying about some big corporation taking me to court because of patent infringement when it's legal is small potatoes.

In the black/green market,,disputes are handled with guns and bullets,,in a legal market disputes are handled by attorneys,,while I hate attorneys,,I would rather get hit by a stray brief than a stray bullet. Pete Guither(sorry Pete if it isn't worded exactly right)

3 people like this.
  10. claygooding

claygooding DrugWarVeteran

When I came back from Nam,it was $10 for a four finger bag,,hardly anyone used scales to make up ounces,,just filled the baggie to the four finger level and sold it,,usually got 15>17 bags from a pound that cost from $60>$100 per pound,,no bricks at that time..pot was sold loose,usually in a grocery bag with some stalks you could have used as a weapon,,ahhh,the good old days.

What worries me is that everyone says their youth was the good ol days,,if now is the good ol days for kids growing up,,,how much worse is it going to get until everyone feels that today is better than yesterday?

11. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

I managed to keep my ass out of Vietnam by enlisting in the Air Force and then getting a medical discharge. The only thing I regret about it is that I never got to smoke the Vietnam weed, which I heard was right up there with Thai stick. When weed becomes legal, it could give a healthy boost to the economies of southeast Asian countries.

12. Shur

Shur New Member

I don't get why people say that if marijuana is legalized that the price will go up. One must understand economics. If there's much more supply there won't be the need to have a huge profit margin for the company to maintain large profits. Also like any other market there will be competition, so the lowest price is what they all go for.

Now the additive thing I am worried about..Hopefully some people will keep in natural.

13. pbcmbeez2

pbcmbeez2 New Member

I think everyone who smokes would like weed to be legalized. The problem is that it's a drastic change in laws that are already established. That's why I think the best way to eventually get it legalized is to work on decriminalizing it first. It's baby steps, and small steps forward is a good thing. And that's the best chance of having weed legal across the entire u.s.

Also, a company can't own a plant any more than a McDonald's owns wheat and cows. Everyone has rights to grow anything no matter what company uses it (except weed)

14. lightweightt

lightweightt New Member

how i would picture it lol

2 people like this.
  15. bowl made of pot

bowl made of pot New Member

Yeah Monsanto only owns one type of soybean there are many kinds of soybeans, as with weed there are many types that cannot be owned/patented, not to mention the other uses of hemp which the chemically altered plants will most likely go to those uses while the high quality/good stuff/pure stuff will go into our pipes I mean hemp can be used for a lot of different things, so don't think the legalization of marijuana is just going to benefit smokers and don't think all the crop will go in your pipe, and since it will be legal, just grow your own organically and start a business selling for fair prices because it is just a fucking plant and growing isn't that hard when you get the hang of it.

16. stolenlogic

stolenlogic New Member

I've often wondered if it were legal what it woul be like.

There are two scenarios. One would be that patients and regular people alike would be able to purchase MJ at any conscience store as easily as cigarettes.
    People would eventually just get used to it like alcohol.

On the other hand, it will be legal and people will rob and steal all of it from everywhere that sells it. And it will create a huge crime wave on certain places.

Personally, it would be nice, but it's not stopping me from getting it now, so what's the difference?

17. friedfever

friedfever New Member

You can have some serious trips down imagination lane with this idea. I could see myself visiting the California marijuana country and trying samples along the way, much like people do while touring the wine country.
    I can imagine bistros set up that would provide you with a fine meal, followed by a sampling of exquisite brands of MJ, grown by the finest gardeners.
    I can imagine Walmart selling a dozen different varieties of MJ at a discount price.
    I can imagine RJ Reynolds putting out their own varieties of blunts.
    The thoughts are limitless.

2 people like this.
  18. friedfever

friedfever New Member

Your idea about robbing and stealing the MJ is fucked up. How many robberies occur where the thieves steal all the beer and wine? When the crooks rob a liquor store, they want the money, not the booze.
    Your final comment tells me a lot about you. Obviously you are really rich as you don't mind paying a lot for weed. And I guess you have a good law team on call just in case you get busted.

19. friedfever

friedfever New Member

sorry. double post

20. Sean M Rose

Sean M Rose New Member

Sure, It would be great if they did because it wouldn't be a problem trying to find it here in my poor little town without having a FBI background check by every dealer to insure that I'm safe, I could just run up to filling station and buy some. Police wouldn't be using our tax dollars to search and take us to jail for pot. It would probably bring more jobs in. Little weed and "coffee" shops would pop up everywhere. But, I like the fact that it is illegal, I use it the same reason I starting smoking cigs and drinking before I was legal to, its fun and exciting knowing you could be stopped at anytime.