What you NEED to know about Hair Testing

Discussion in 'Blood, Hair & Saliva Testing' started by BornOnApril20, Sep 2, 2011.

1. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

These are some tips that anyone who is taking a hair test should know. A cousin of mine works for Quest Diagnostics and literally handed me the business on hair testing. My cousin has been performing clinical testing on hair for 8 years now. She is licensed and a veteran in the business, so I trust her word, despite what you and I think we know, she does this every day. She told me a lot of things that are contrary to what I have read online...but were nonetheless, very useful things to know.

So here it is, straight from the Lab technicians mouth....

Testing Varies Between Laboratories

Psychemedics, Quest Diagnostics, Omega Labs....These companies and their testing procedure vary. This has a lot to with your chances for passing. For example...Quest Diagnostics employs EIA testing which is a less accurate form of testing. Psychemedics uses ELISA testing which isolates the drug metabolites, and is far more accurate. Still others use GC/MS or gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, which is also a less accurate form of testing. Look it up for details. Basically, your chances for success start here with the facility and their methods.

Which Drugs Have you Been Using and how much?

Hair testing is primarily used for the detection of illicit drugs (Meth, cocaine, heroin, PCP, ect.) If you have been using illicit drugs, your chances of passing are slim to none. Cocaine, meth, and PCP bind strongly and in clusters to the users hair follicle and can be found within days after use and for up to 3 years after use, no shit. Pot is a different story. To my surprise, the THC metabolites are actually hard to detect through hair testing because THC metabolites do not bind the the hair follicle easily. Tobacco, Hookah, and users of synthetic pot (K2, incense, ect) have a greater chance at passing for THC because these toxins chemical make up is very simular to that of THC and dilute the hair follicle thus making THC harder to find. Also, she described that recent research also indicates that exposure to high humidity will rapidly break down marijuana metabolite levels in the hair...which I thought was very interesting. Finally, regardless of your level of usage of any drug, you are not safe from a positive result.

Everyone is Different

Your age, weight, height, and drug usage mean ABSOLUTELY nothing when it comes to hair testing. You can be a heavy, moderate, or light user of THC and your chances of passing are not very different as the next guys. HOWEVER, your hair type and your Metabolism DO MATTER. The thicker and darker your hair, the less chance you have of beating the test. Hair can be sampled from anywhere on the body, but body hair has been PROVEN to be a more difficult sample to process, as it does not accurately display usage history like the hair from your head does. My cousin told me that samples taken from the leg test negative FAR more often than samples from the crown of your head. Lastly, your metabolism is your only weapon in the fight against a positive result. This is truely Dawinism at its finest.

The Best Way to Pass Your Test

If you are taking your test in 3 or more weeks from now, Detox your body immediately. It does not matter when you stop smoking, THC will continue to grow into your hair for as long as it is in your system. This is where most people go wrong and believe that washing their hair with various methods day after day after day will render them clean, which is NOT the case...it will only begin to toxify again as the hair follicle continues to grow. The day your blood is free of THC is the day your hair will stop growing with THC in it. At this point she recommends cutting your hair...its the only 100% sure way to test negative...and that's only if you have the time to grow 1.5 centimeters back before the test.

Unfortunately, there are no ways to detox your hair...as much as you, Macujo, Mac, or anyone else and their method tells you it can be done. If you dont believe me look it up...and see the posts here that will prove that. In fact, all these methods do is cause extreme damage to your hair and scalp. Im seriously not trying to discourage you or talk shit to these guys or call anyone a liar...but it is scientifically not possible to remove toxins from your hair once they are there. In fact you're more likely to default (fail) your test because they will find the adulterants in your hair. Seriously, Call the lab and ask for yourself. She laughed as she described the volume of individuals who come in with dyed/bleached hair, smelling of vinigar and tide.

HERES THE KICKER and quite possibly the most important part of this thread.

There are products that act as masking agents. Yes it is true they wash your sample before it is tested, HOWEVER there are products available that are proven to penetrate the hair shaft and furthermore mask individual metabolites within your hair follicle. This is NOT THE SAME THING as a masking film around the hair itself. Her lab is aware of these products and their inability to detect them, they simply choose to not employ more costly testing procedures, THATS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE and the only reason they work...for now. She goes on to tell me that it is because the labs enzymes (acting agents) can not break down the masking chemical through EIA testing that they can not identify the drug metabolites. She emphasized that this has everything to do with their method of testing...remember EIA and ELISA? These products will not work with ELISA testing.

I have been reading and researching all that I can about this topic, because I recently had to take a hair test. I know the feeling of dread that overcomes when you find out you have to take one and know your using...believe me. When I found out my cousin had been performing these kinds of tests...I immediately demanded she give me the down low on it. This is what she told me...so please, save your negative or rude comments...I'm posting this to help YOU be more knowledgeable and make a better decision for yourself. So there it is. Good Day to you.

2. tina87

tina87 New Member

Wow, this is some great information! Thanks so much for posting. I do have some follow up questions, though, if you have a moment and don't mind. :)

First, you mentioned that it's difficult for THC to bind to hair, and then mention that usage levels do not really matter in hair testing. However, if THC has trouble binding to hair, wouldn't less usage then mean there's less of a chance of positive results? The reason I ask is because I've found conflicting information about one time usage and whether THC will show up in hair afterwards.

Second, you mention that different labs use different methods. I'm wondering if I purchase a home test from any of these labs, will my sample be tested using the same method they would use to test other samples? Seems like they would, just wanted to check.

Also, if you have a moment, I would love some advice on my particular situation (in my thread here http://www.marijuana.com/blood-hair-saliva-testing/180273-one-time-user-chances-detection.html)

Again thanks so much for this valuable info!!!

3. tina87

tina87 New Member

Ahh I forgot one question in my previous reply:

When you say high humidity levels, do you also mean heat in general (like from a blow dryer or flat iron), or just environmental moisture?

Thanks!

4. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

To be honest, I couldnt tell you...shes the expert, not me. But she did use people who work outdoors and are constantly subject to humidity as an example when telling me about this new study her lab is undertaking. Could steam from an Iron be the miracle cure? lol probably not...but wishful thinking.

As for your other question, again, Ill give her a call and ask. Wont be until later that I can get back to you about it. Ill let ya know.

5. Jerry G

Jerry G Sr. Member

So, are you actually saying that bleaching and redying multiple times does not reduce thc metabolites enough to allow a heavy smoker with little clean time to pass a hair strand test?

6. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

No Sir I am not. Referring back to my original post, I was sure I indicated that this information came directly from a family member who works for Quest Diagnostics. So these are her thoughts on the matter.

Again, I respect your experience and knowledge on the topic, you seem to be a very well respected member of this community. However, not I nor you can argue with the fact that bleaching does not work. This has been made clear to me by someone whom, regardless of my relation, is also a well respected authority in her own forum...that being the scientific community in which she works and performs hair tests on a daily basis.

I understand that no matter the bottom line on this topic, people will continue to use these methods in a frantic effort to pass this test and I dont blame them. However, they need to know that 1.) The adulterants WILL be detected 2.) it is up to the employer on whether or not the adulterants will disqualify you for work and 3.) Bleaching does not remove toxins from the hair follicle.

Sir it is science. Believe me, I am not here to discourage, argue, or discredit, but a lot of people here are seeking answers to questions that people view and offer no help with. So I decided to share this valuable information that someone who is DIRECTLY responsible for performing these tests has offered to me with you and this forum.

In fact, I JUST passed a hair test of my own...which I was certain I would fail. I was smoking regularly a week before...detoxed my system the next day and pissed clean. Some how, by the grace of God, I passed. And I USED NO METHOD. This alone is proof, that bleaching is not necessary. If you want more details on my test, let me know.

7. cabriosnap

cabriosnap Not Man, Merely a Machine

this should be stickied. good thread dude

8. Tet

Tet New Member

""Tobacco, Hookah, and users of synthetic pot (K2, incense, ect) have a greater chance at passing for THC because these toxins chemical make up is very simular to that of THC and dilute the hair follicle thus making THC harder to find.""
    I hope not - Im 277 days clean for pot(Dec 1st) - but have been burning a lot of incense. I have just sent another test to Psychemedics (mainly to see if my wearing a surgical mask around 2nd hand pot smoke has kept me clean). If I fail - I shall have to assume its because of the incense.... Urghhhhh....

9. Jerry G

Jerry G Sr. Member

No, actually it's mostly crap.

If the post had one iota of credability he would name the magic masking agents....

10. Matt24

Matt24 New Member

I had a hair test on Thursday, Sept 01. The last time I smoked was the second week in May. I was clean the month prior with very limited usage since the first of the year. My hair is long, thin and I have it colored every 5 weeks. The sample they took was at least 2-1/2 to 3" long. On most testing sites, they say they are only testing 1-1/2" (approx 90 days). Do you know that to be true or will they test the entire sample sent? In your opinion, what are my chances of passing?

11. kushorexia

kushorexia New Member

Hmm, I am glad Jerry G is disagreeing, I just bleached my hair twice, and am a heavy, heavy smoker. I took the test a week ago, and its been a whole week no word yet. I have read no word, is good word. So I hope to god this bleaching works, and I hope you are truly wrong BornOnApril20.

12. kushorexia

kushorexia New Member

I bet he wants people to PM him so he can sell his magic shampoo that doesn't work. I wanna know what this Magic Shampoo is BornOn.

13. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

Unfortunately Jerry G, I dont know which masking agents attach to metabolites within the hair follicle. Remember, I'm not here to bicker with you, just help people who are in the same position as I was. If I knew which agents are capable of passing a ELA hair drug test, I would CERTAINLY share that knowledge with everyone. Its actually as simple as doing a little research and making some phone calls to customer support...excuse me if I dont hold your hand through this step.

Oh, and you shouldn't talk shit and make remarks like you have, it only discredits you and makes you look foolish. Again, Im not trying to make you look foolish...but If I were, all Id have to do is sit back and let you talk.

14. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

I dont sell shampoo. I'm just trying to spread word of the things I learned from someone who works in the business. Why am I automatically some salesman trying to make a buck? Is it not possible Im just a good fucking person trying to spread some knowledge?

15. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

Again, if you read the thread...you would realize that this is not my opinion...it is what I was told by a family member WHO ANALYZES HAIR FOR A LIVING. You must have missed that part.

But in any case, I too hope that she is wrong because as a fellow smoker, I would hate to know that you failed. Lol you guys are so sensitive...I post a thread with good intentions and you guys immediately get right to the insults. Nothing against Jerry G, but Im pretty sure he doesnt have a doctorate in chemistry and works in a lab all day.

16. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

That depends entire on the person who ordered the test...if your employer ordered it...they decide and pay for the test to be done...it will cost more to look back further and they would have to request that be done, but yes...90 day or 1.5 centimeters is typical.

Like I was saying in my original post...The lab thats doing the testing has almost everything to do with your ability to pass..it depends on the method they use.

17. kushorexia

kushorexia New Member

I am confused...

Does your cousin cut the hair, or analyze the hair? You say she laughs when people come in with bleach/tide hair, but yet you act like she analyzes the hair as well. Also you say call the lab yourself, of course the lab is gonna tell you bs about how you can't pass, and nothing you do will work. What is funny is I have read countless posts with people who should have failed, pass because of bleaching. Also I like the fact that just days ago your asking around about some detox shampoo, like you don't know much. Yet you sound like a god damn doctor in this post, pretending you know it all because you talked to your cousin. Come on brother, just because your cousin says its impossible, has he/she actually ever tried like all of us in this forum. Also you say its science, but yet, science disagrees with your theory that bleaching does nothing. In fact it does, it chemically alters your hair completely.

18. BornOnApril20

BornOnApril20 New Member

She performs the tests on the hair. They do this on site. I understand your cirticism...I expected it, and I am telling you this is what I was told..Im not telling you this from my own experience. So I would appreciate you making that distinction.

Yes I was looking for a response on that shampoo. I wanted to know if it worked because I had a hair test and wanted to know if anyone had experience with it. That doesnt discredit me at all, I was simply looking for input on the product in case it could help me pass. Ill have you know that I had this conversation with her AFTER my test...the truth about it, is that she saw a facebook post of mine i posted about my test and she called me and filled me in on details...I knew she worked for Quest Diagnostics, but had no idea she performed the actual testing.

I'm not too concerned with what the lab will and wont tell you, but its vast common knowledge that hair can not be detoxed. If bleach in some way masks your hair then awesome, please use that method and pass. It might alter your hair, but in terms of detoxing...its not true. Again, words from someone who knows.

Just remember bro, I'm not here to talk shit and bicker with you guys...I have much better things to do than sit here and make this up...I really don't need your attention...I just thought Id give my input just like everyone else. so for fucks sake, just take it or leave it.

Really, what makes me any different than Jerry G? Just because he tells you what you want to hear and I posted something that is entirely credible and just happens to be upsetting news and all of a sudden I'm the bad guy? Lets get real.

19. Jlavish

Jlavish New Member

Don't trip bornon420 all knowledge is great knowledge. I've been on every site researching how the hell I am going to pass this test. Here is a little about me. What's up people. I'm in the same boat A's all of you. My test is next week. I've read almost very post on this website. I wish all you luck and I hope you continue to post results and I will do the same.
    I've been pretty clean for the most part but I smoked a pinner of some alright bud on August 5th the. Before that was two weeks prior to that and that was a small small blunt of some extremely shitty weed. My hair test is next week. I've been doing the gmethod for about a week and half everyother day. I have some Paul mitchel 3 shampoo that I use everyday. Also bought some detoxifying shampoo that mix with the gmethod. It's called joico kpak chelating shampoo. The lady at the hair salon recommended it when I told her what I was looking for. It may work it takes ph levels down to 4.5. I've had two haircuts in the last month. I am worried about my hair length a little bit. It's abou an inch now should get a little higher in a week. Hopefully. I also have taken two ua's and they both have come back clean. My theory is if your body is clean and I more than likely have shaved the thc hair out by now I should be good. What do you guys think? Is anyone still waiting in the balance for results? Another question did I hear right? That not only does spice not show up on a hair follicle test but it may have diluted the little bit of weed I did smoke? What do you guys think? Am I good? Well your opinion atleast.

What's up people. I'm in the same boat A's all of you. My test is next week. I've read almost very post on this website. I wish all you luck and I hope you continue to post results and I will do the same.
    I've been pretty clean for the most part but I smoked a pinner of some alright bud on August 5th the. Before that was two weeks prior to that and that was a small small blunt of some extremely shitty weed. My hair test is next week. I've been doing the gmethod for about a week and half everyother day. I have some Paul mitchel 3 shampoo that I use everyday. Also bought some detoxifying shampoo that mix with the gmethod. It's called joico kpak chelating shampoo. The lady at the hair salon recommended it when I told her what I was looking for. It may work it takes ph levels down to 4.5. I've had two haircuts in the last month. I am worried about my hair length a little bit. It's abou an inch now should get a little higher in a week. Hopefully. I also have taken two ua's and they both have come back clean. My theory is if your body is clean and I more than likely have shaved the thc hair out by now I should be good. What do you guys think? Is anyone still waiting in the balance for results?

20. kushorexia

kushorexia New Member

Yeah thanks for your knowledge but its faulty, you CAN detox hair, I do not understand why you think you CANT. Open the cuticle with a high base, and attack that cortex that has the THC. Its pretty simple logic honestly.