Why can't I smoke after removal of my wisdom tooth?

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by lungs4life, Jan 10, 2006.

1. lungs4life

lungs4life New Member

I just got my wisdom tooth removed yesterday and im not supposed to smoke for 48hours. Anyone know why that is exactly? is it meant for all smoking or is it just for tobacco or somthin?

2. negaDuck

negaDuck straight rollin'

you have holes and stitches in your gum tissue, most likely, and to smoke would be bringing in not only sediment in tha form of tar, but bacteria and a host of other things that could up tha chance of infection...which could lead to losing a good hunk of your jaw

don't smoke for a bit, You'll thank yourself later...audibly and with a whole jaw.

3. imported_EcStAsY

imported_EcStAsY New Member

because you will risk causing a dry socket.
    google it for more information.

hope you got some good painkillers :D

4. 420BLAZE

420BLAZE New Member

Heres my two cents

I had my wisdom teeth taken out about this time last year.....All four at the same time.They told me not to smoke for a week after the surgery because the holes where your teeth once were may start to bleed I smoked on the 4th day...and I was cool.I got this special mouth rinse I used after I took a hit

sorry if this does not make sense Im :chokin:

5. imported_Toasted

imported_Toasted Sr. Member

Make some special brownies.

6. Gangsta Beach

Gangsta Beach New Member

Im a bit surprised he only said 48 hours. You will have like cuts in your mouth that can get very infected on top of that smoking would agitate the wounds. You may be eating weed for a week or so?

7. Yaznaki

Yaznaki New Member

as Ectasy said, "Dry Socket" and google do wonders

8. Thread searches also do wonders. Here's a thread that would answer your question.:wave:

9. lungs4life

lungs4life New Member

Well i only have one wisdom tooth not 4. Lucky me :D no pain.

10. swadey99

swadey99 New Member

Do you look like a chipmunk?

11. Coolguy

Coolguy New Member

It's not the actual smoke it's the act of smoking that can cause the dry sockets. No sucking on straws, cigs, bongs, pipes or anything like that or you are taking a chance.

But if you only had one removed.. I know I can close my mouth and only suck from one corner. You could pretty safely smoke that way if you have to smoke,

12. Furious George

Furious George New Member

i accidentally posted this in a the link someone put in here but ill add it here again

yeah i have to get my wisdom teeth out and its going to suck, my dentist said its no worse then getting other teeth out, but ive heard diffrently. i definitly think ill try to lay of the smoking for atleast a few dyas when i get them done. id think pipe would be the best method(other then that genius gravity bong idea) because as someone said you want to minamize pressure in your mouth and id think a pipe provides the least resistance so you need to build up less of a suction. in the joint you have a lenght of packed weed to pull through, and a bong has water and usually a large chamber, where as the pipe has a very small chamber

i might have to invest in a small glass pipe for the first smoking times after i get mine done

13. I had 4 of mine pulled this summer and I was told 48 hours of no smoking. I waited like a week and even without smoking I got 2 dry sockets anyway and let me tell you it sucked! If smoking increases your chances of getting them, then by all means WAIT IT OUT!!!

14. Comatose

Comatose New Member

I just got mine taken out...I was told not to smoke (cigarettes, in their minds) for three days. It has nothing to do with smoke in your mouth or anything like that, it's simply the suction of your mouth needed to draw in the smoke can cause your clots to come out and result in a dry socket.

I didn't have a dry socket, but I don't think you want to go through one just to hit a bong.

Er, well, maybe you do, I don't know :p

15. B - Unit

B - Unit New Member

i had mine taken out last friday and im rinsing with salt water, its supposed to heal the holes or something like that. i dunno im just doing whatever mom says to do. lol

16. kontroversy

kontroversy Im Stpwned

What about when your wisdom teeth are coming in and they break skin, are you cool to smoke then?