Why do we have THC receptors in our brains?

Discussion in 'Science' started by RandomOne, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Sykes

Sykes New Member

this is probably most logical.

2. redeft

redeft New Member

Because God loves us and wants us to be happy.

3. RandomOne

RandomOne New Member

Awwwww that is so sweet

4. Jewbutca

Jewbutca New Member

Who knows? But I'm sure if we didn't have them in our brains we wouldn't be smoking MJ... :eek:

5. ...Why are we only speaking about humans... animals also have THC receptors, otherwise, how is my friend's dog getting high?
    You have to know, THC is everywhere in the brain, but they're more condensed at certain parts, I know that the hippocampus is one of 'em, and that's why when you over-use their THC receptors, you get memory loss, and that's also concludes that if you stop smoking, you'll get memory back.

I also know that THC receptors aren't only meant for pot, they're meant for other purposes... which I have no clue of what they are! lol

This explaining also revealed to me that it is the positions of the receptors that influence how we feel our high, so that's why everybody has a different high!

6. prodigy420

prodigy420 New Member

Blah it makes me really sad that alot of people dont belive in god =(

7. Luther17

Luther17 New Member

Over thousands of years of evolution and adaptation, our immune and digestive systems have become used to different types of herbs, plants, and other foods... Somewhere along the line, our human ancestors came across the herb, decided to smoke it or consume it in some other way, and discovered its "therapeutic" effects. Since then people have been smoking it over hundreds of generations, with the effects slightly adapting from generation to generation until it became 'natural' to smoke.

8. mondaymonkey

mondaymonkey Sr. Member

Dude, lets think about what you said. Obviously you know a little about Evolution.

Aright but lets think, since you advocated a Parisimonious familiy lineage, what if Cannabaniod receptors developed separatly in Plants and then in animals (mammals specifically).

This makes more sense since receptors in our brains share nothing phenotypical or genotypically similar with plant cannabis constructing cells.

So dude, I think that cannabaniod receptors in our brains developed out of chance. Idk why a plant would make cannabis if otherwise to get another animal high..... but I wanna find out!

9. MrProtein

MrProtein Active Member

2 and 3 can both be traced back to number 1....if you believe in God, its an easy argument

10. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

The giant hole in this hypothesis is that cannabis plants have much closer relatives than Man that don't produce cannabinoids. In fact, in the plant kingdom, cannabis is the only species that produces cannabinoids. I don't know about the whole animal kingdom, but I do know that all mammals utilize endocannabinoid signaling systems.

If there was any truth to this "common ancestry" hypothesis, a lot of species of plants, if not every species of plants would be making cannabinoids.

11. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused New Member

Absolutely:rasta:

2 people like this.
  12. Zeroxtreem

Zeroxtreem News *****

Defense against being eaten by animals? Defense mechanism of sorts, maybe. Only a guess.

13. Check out the BBC 2009 documentary "Cannabis: The Evil Weed?" - they go on about the evolution of cannabanoid receptors and the evolution of the plant as well (if I remember correctly - watched it a while ago). They talk about different stories, 3 in contrast of eachother.. some that have positive (I think there was two people) and 1 that is negative (some guy is addicted or something ridiculous like that.)

Rock on:bananaride:

14. hilldk

hilldk New Member

consider this:
    corn actually adapted to become a plant dependant on us for survival.
    I like to think earlier in time; we humans had a relationship with marijuana similiar to that of our current relationship with corn and the plant; realizing we wanted it around and were doing so much of its work for it to insure such: that it actually spent its energy becoming a substance to better please us in the way we were using it. Like a tree producing sweeter fruit.

2 people like this.
  15. Freshness420

Freshness420 Sr. Member

So we can get high...duh!

16. HappyBoy1981

HappyBoy1981 Senior DEA Agent

Why do you have 4 fingers on each hand as well as a thumb? You could have gotten by with 3 fingers, right?

17. Ganjika

Ganjika ☼ Account Closed ☼

CB1 and CB2 Cannabinoid Receptors help Regulate many important body functions using naturally occurring cannabinoids present such "arachidonoylethanolamide" (also known as anandamide - which is also found in chocolate with its highest concentrations in Dark chocolate.) Which govern many vital bodily functions including:

* appetite * bone density * mood regulation * reproduction * blood pressure * Learning capacity * motor coordination ...

Marijuana is Distinguished From most other currently illicit drugs by the locations of its brain-receptor sites (cb1/cb2 cannabinoid receptors) for two predominant reasons:

(1) The lack of receptors in the medulla significantly reduces the possibility of accidental, or even deliberate, death from THC,

~ and ~

(2) the lack of receptors in the mesocorticolimbic pathway significantly reduces the risks of addiction and serious physical dependence.

4 people like this.
  18. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

There was nothing random about the plant's evolving a compound that is similar to compounds that are neurotransmitters in every vertebrate animal. It evolved it because it gave the plants that did a greater survival value than those that didn't. Considering the kind of plant it is, I suspect that THC repels insects and/or attracts animals that would spread seeds in their feces.

The neurotransmitter, anandamide, has been part of animal life long before the cannabis plant evolved. It is only because anandamide has effects on the brain that THC is effective in getting animals to spread cannabis seed.

3 people like this.
  19. N_crassa

N_crassa New Member

In general, organisms do not 'keep' useless traits over evolutionary time unless said trait provides some selective advantage for survival. Consider this: there are other members in the genus Cannabis which produce low or no THC. It is conceivable then that selective pressures such as mammals/insects eating the plants may have contributed to the prevalence of 'toxic' plants. If an otherwise 'non-toxic' plant gained the ability to produce toxic levels of a substance causing an animal or insect to avoid eating it, that could be one possible explanation for the evolution of THC-producing Cannabis. With modern science (i.e. genome sequencing/phylogenetics) I think it will be or already is possible to determine when (in millions of years ago) the 'THC genetic machinery' came about.

With all of this being said, one cannot ignore the coevolution of humans and Cannabis. Long ago, humans recognized certain plants could make more THC and subsequent plant breeding efforts over hundreds if not thousands of years resulted in the plants we know today.

20. HappyBoy1981

HappyBoy1981 Senior DEA Agent

I'll buy your explanation until a better one comes along. :D