Why do your eyes get red when you smoke?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Vegeta420, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Vegeta420

Vegeta420 Banned

Why do your eyes get red when you smoke?
  2. Panama

Panama Seasoned Activist

Thread Moved

To the Chemical and Physiological forum.
  3. t0ker

t0ker New Member

I'd like to know too
  4. DoritosMan

DoritosMan Seasoned Activist

Mama said once its because its dilates the veins in your eye, thats why you get red eyes.
  5. Bubba

Bubba New Member

Maby it kinda like dehydrates you. Like your mouth I gets all dry so maby your eyes get all dry too making them red.
  6. lessness

lessness New Member

THC dilate blood vessels, reducing the pressure inside the eye (intraocular pressure - IOP), dilated blood vessels in the eye cause its redness.

tha's why some studies say its good for glaucoma, althgouh its only effective for about 3 hours.
  7. greypoe

greypoe Sr. Member

Marijuana increases heart rate, which increases blood flow to the eyes, you may also notice that the color in your eyes gain more depth.
  8. TexxMexx

TexxMexx New Member

ok guys.....how does Visine take the red out? :D
  9. ikari

ikari Seasoned Activist

ok, i was actually curious about this, so i went to their website and looked around.

first off, yes, apparantly the dilated blood vessel thing was correct, as stated here:
    Q: What causes red eyes?
    A: "Red eyes" are seen when the blood vessels in the eyes are dilated (larger than normal) and therefore become more visible. This can be caused by many factors that cause an irritation of the eye (e.g. smoke, dust, pollen,
    [Marijuana ;)]).

and apparantly it works because:

Q: How do you know Visine redness relieving products are working? Do you have clinical studies that support the efficacy of Visine's redness relieving products?
    A: Reddened eyes are rapidly whitened by Visine, which limits the local vascular response by constricting the small blood vessels. The onset of vasoconstriction becomes apparent within minutes and the effect is prolonged. When the reddened eyes become whitened, this indicates that the Visine is working. Yes, we do have clinical studies that support the efficacy of Visine.
    (visine.com)

Visine seems to contain: Tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride 0.05%, which is some sort of moisturizer, and which also helps constrict the blood vessels...
    2 people like this.
  10. TexxMexx

TexxMexx New Member

cool man! thanks for making up for my laziness!! ;)
  11. t0ker

t0ker New Member

My eyes like never get red, anyone know why?
  12. Herb Ninja

Herb Ninja Seasoned Activist

Personal opinion, Opcon-A works way better at removing eye redness than visine. I wouldn't recomend using it for any extended periods of time, visine either. Peace-
  13. vaya

vaya Activist

Same. Dont know why, I guess we are blessed:D
  14. obelix

obelix New Member

I get hayfever as well and when this is real bad the old eyes go red very similar to after smokin. So I always put the red eyes after smokin down to a irritation/allergy thing and I got these antihistamine eye drops. They work amazingly.
  15. ikari

ikari Seasoned Activist

Here's something interesting:

Ever since i smoked regularly (again ;)) about a month ago (it was almost everyday, and some days it was all day), i dont get red eyes anymore.

Right now the longest 'break' i've taken was 4 days, and i smoked a crap load on the fifth day and still no red eyes.

it seems this symptom is almost completely gone, and the kottonmouth is a lot better as well... munchies is alwasy there...

i honostly think it has to do with tolerance, cuz i just dont get as high as way before, when i was smoking -maybe- once or twice a week... but sometimes there was gaps of 1-2 weeks where i didnt.... i would get a lot more baked than i do now off of the same amounts...
  16. goober

goober New Member

this is kind of interesting-

the reason your pupils get red when you smoke is because your eye is actually somewhat hollow in a sense, and you're seeing the blood vessils in the back, which are red. the reason your eyes are black when you're sober is because it's dark inside your eye's hollow chamber, but when you smoke and your pupils dialate, more light shines in so the red blood vessils in the back show up.

think if you painted the inside of a ball red, then drilled a tiny hole in it. when you looked in it would be black, but if the hole was bigger, you'd see the red paint on the inside.

this was how my high school art teacher explained it to me anyways, it might be B.s, but it makes sense.
  17. t0ker

t0ker New Member

Dude, I've never seen my pupils, or anyone elses for that matter, get red.
  18. ikari

ikari Seasoned Activist

Pupils don't get red... it's not even possible... the white of the eye gets red, and maybe the iris? i dont even know about that..
  19. goober

goober New Member

yea it was probably just B.s. heh oh well what-ev :p
  20. Mamabudz

Mamabudz Guest

The white of the eye is the CONJUCTIVA...

...come on folks, schools coming back in session...Mama Budz's Homework Hotline will be available soon ;)

Plenty of cookies and milk! :p