Why does weed make you sleepy?

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by toby-da-tiger, Mar 20, 2008.

1. toby-da-tiger

toby-da-tiger New Member

Everytime I seem to light up, I feel sleepy after
  2. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

That's the usual experience when smoking Cannabis Indica or an Indica-heavy hybrid. It has something to do with CBN and CBD, two of the cannabinoids present in the weed. Cannabis Sativa and Sativa-heavy hybrids have much lower levels of these substances.

When I smoke Sativas, I feel like getting up and dancing or taking a hike in the woods. When I smoke Indicas, I feel like sitting on the couch and nodding off.
  3. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Seems to effect a lot of people that way regardless of whether the strain they are using is Sativa or Indica.
    To what degree that effect is, depends on a lot of things including one's general physiology, state of physical wellbeing and so on.
    Over time you can expect variations on the theme.
    Certainly though, one can help facilitate, to a degree, the desired effect by choosing one strain over the other...
  4. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Inhaling smoke also delivers toxins. Two of the biggies are carbon monoxide and benzene. Although both are deadly poisons, the only noticeable effect you'll get from them is sleepiness. Enough of either will put you to sleep permanently. The quantities you get from smoking herb are sufficient to just make you drowsy. Although they're also present when smoking cigarettes, the stimulant effect from nicotine tends to more than counteract the sleepy effect.
  5. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

Well, some folks anyway. Not this 'ol sailor dog.
    Smoking pot always wires me.
    Hmmm, maybe it's a side effect of my last cloning...:cool:
  6. 5drive

5drive Slacker

I forgot to include a footnote that the data didn't include sailor dogs. ;)
  7. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

smoking has the exact opposite effect on me. i can't smoke before bed.. i won't fall asleep.
  8. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

9. shortlk

shortlk New Member

So would schwag have more of the Sativas, and nug would have more on the Indicas? because schwag/reg (i dont know what you all call it on here) makes me want to go crazy, and nug/crippy makes me want to chill.
  10. feedyourhead

feedyourhead Girly Girl

11. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

No. The difference between schwag and nugs is in how the plant is grown and processed. Schwag is allowed to pollinate and produce seeds. It rarely has top-quality genetics. It's rarely cured. It includes leaves along with the buds. It's just not as potent.