WI medical MJ

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Bud Is good, Sep 28, 2009.

1. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

That is correct. He still will be on probation in Wisconsin. He is also on bond from a similar incident in Nebraska.
  2. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

http://www.examiner.com/norml-in-mad...-cannabis-bill

Capitol press conference to launch new Wisconsin medical cannabis bill

By Gary Storck, Madison NORML Examiner

MADISON: Wisconsin medical cannabis patients and advocates will have
    something extra to be celebrate this holiday season with news that State
    Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Madison) has scheduled a press conference to announce
    a new attempt to pass a state medical cannabis law. The press conference
    is set for the State Capitol's Assembly Parlor (2nd Floor West) on
    Wednesday, Nov. 30, at 1:00 pm.

Rep. Pocan's office has confirmed that he and State Sen. Jon Erpenbach
    (D-Waunakee) will again be the lead sponsors of the legislation,
    LRB-2466/1, again dubbed the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act
    (JRMMA). They will also be sending a letter to their colleagues asking
    if they would like to cosponsor the legislation.

In the 2009-2010 session, the JRMMA received an 8-plus hour combined
    Senate/Assembly Health Committee public hearing that drew hundreds of
    patients. State organizations including the Wisconsin Nurses Association
    (WNA), Hospice Organization and Palliative Experts (HOPE) and the WI
    ACLU testified in support along with representatives of national groups
    including Patients Out of Time (POT), the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) and
    the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP). Opposition testimony was limited to
    a handful of groups who support the status quo of arresting and jailing
    medical users including the Wisconsin Medical Society (SMS), and the
    Wisconsin Narcotics Officers Association (WNOA).

Despite the strong support at the hearing and in the legislature, as
    well as the urging of then-Gov. Jim Doyle for passage, the 2009-10 JRMMA
    died in committee without a vote.

Advocates say Wisconsinites have been far ahead of their elected
    representatives on this for decades. Advisory referendums asking if
    state lawmakers should pass medical cannabis legislation passed by wide
    margins in Dane County (75.49%) and River Falls (68%) in the Nov. 2010
    election. Polling in 2002 and 2005 found statewide support in the
    75%-80% range.

While the bill faces an uncertain future due to a very complicated
    political situation in Wisconsin, supporters say the need for medical
    cannabis for state Seniors, Veterans, chronically ill, people with
    disabilities the dying and others has only increased. Advocates also
    point to the additional benefits in the job creation power of
    establishing a medical cannabis industry in Wisconsin. Growth in the
    industry across the 16 states and District of Columbia where medical
    cannabis is allowed has created thousands of new green jobs and
    businesses while providing new revenue sources to cash strapped
    municipalities, counties and states.
    5 people like this.
  3. Bud Is good

Bud Is good Resident non smoker

Thats badass..Keep my updated Nate..
  4. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

Marijuana expo coming to Oshkosh | The Oshkosh Northwestern | thenorthwestern.com

An area pro-pot group isn’t blowing smoke when it says it wants to make the drug legal.

The Northern Wisconsin chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws is bringing its T.H.C. (Talking Hemp and Cannabis) Tour to the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh on Dec. 7.

The event runs from 5 to 8 p.m. at Reeve Union and will feature presentations on industrial hemp, medical cannabis, recreational marijuana and drug policy reform.
    Northern Wisconsin NORML’s website says the group’s mission is to legalize marijuana by educating the public. The group says marijuana is an organic plant with medicinal uses that is also a safe alternative to legal drugs like alcohol and cigarettes.

The chapter covers a large number of cities and towns in the area, including Oshkosh, Fond du Lac and Appleton.

For more information, visit NORML’s website at Northern Wisconsin NORML Blog.
  5. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

Call your legislator and ask them to cosponsor the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act (LRB-2466/1)

Who Are My Legislators?
  6. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

Wisconsin Statewide NORML meeting and event dates for December 2011:​

1. December 5th (Monday) 7-8:30pm Southeastern Wisconsin NORML meeting. Location: Brewing Grounds for Change Cafe located at 2008 N. Farwell Ave in Milwaukee, WI.

2. December 7th (Wednesday) 5:00pm - 8:00pm T.H.C. (Talking Hemp and Cannabis) Tour at UW-Oshkosh, Reeve Union, 748 Algoma Blvd, Oshkosh Wisconsin. (Facebook Event) (Wiscan.org Event)

3. December 8th (Thursday) 4:20-7:00pm Northern Wisconsin NORML Meeting. Location: Harmony Cafe, 233 E. College Ave, Appleton, WI 54911.

4. December 12th (Monday) 7:00-9:00pm Madison NORML meeting. Location: Wil Mar Center Youth Room in basement 7-9pm, Wil Mar Center 953 Jenifer St. Madison, WI 53703.

5. December 15th (Thursday) 9:30am-12:00pm Controlled Substance Board Meeting. Location: 1400 East Washington Ave, Madison, Wisconsin.

6. December 15th (Thursday) 7:00pm Monthly Meeting / New Chapter Exploration for Kendall NORML at Wood Pipes Smoke Shoppe in Beautiful Downtown Kendall Wisconsin.

7. December 19th (Monday) 7-8:30pm Southeastern Wisconsin NORML meeting. Location: Brewing Grounds for Change Cafe located at 2008 N. Farwell Ave in Milwaukee, WI

8. December 21st (Wednesday) 7:00-8:30pm Eau Claire NORML Meeting. Location: Jacob & Lisa Sieg’s Home, 3007 Crescent Avenue, Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

7. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzFbAZbSMEI"]Medical cannabis bill reintroduced in Wisconsin gives patients hope - YouTube[/ame]
  8. mike m.

mike m. New Member

9. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

10. mike m.

mike m. New Member

These are more/new petitions and yes they dismissed them but they had to do it publicly, they had to take some heat from media, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, INTERNET, AND ALTERNET.

My feeling is if they dismiss it and no one comes back at them then why should they change anything, they win. You can not just sit down and go away. JS
  11. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

I totally agree with what you are saying and signed those petitions.

The fact is, we need to keep the pressure high on them from every angle we can.

I still wish there was interest enough to do referendum in every city and village across the state.
  12. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

This brings me to another point, which is that when people are talking about this bill, we need to get a few things straight that otherwise are confused with conjecture.

We also, as a movement, need to be more consistent to get the message across. How you do that is with talking points.

Here are the current talking points that we hope you will also use:

1) This is a bi-partisan effort. Access to medicine that works for you recommended by a doctor, less prohibition, freedom are not liberal or conservative concepts.

2) Medical marijuana states are not uncommon in the US. 16 states and Washington DC have medical marijuana laws, 32 total states have some flavor of favorable medical marijuana law.

3) There are many currently available smokeless inhalation devices. In addition, there are many different delivery methods such as salves, tinctures, foods and drinks.
  13. mike m.

mike m. New Member

All good points and well said. We need to get better organized. Combine all efforts and speak the same points. United we stand. Corny but true.
  14. Bud Is good

I'm not watching a 22 minute video to get my answer..

So the bill was introduced, or introduced and dismissed?
  15. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

Bud,

That was the press conference. I understand not wanting to sit through 22 minutes. It was to introduce the bill publicly and call for cosponsors (other legislators who support this too and are willing to sign on)

The bill is out for cosponsorship until Dec 21.

After that, the bill is assigned to a committee in the Assembly and a committee in the Senate. There will be a public hearing scheduled - last time, it was joint hearing & was 8+ hours. Then the committees get to decide whether to send it to the Assembly and Senate floors respectively, who can then vote to send it to the Governor's office.

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know.
    2 people like this.
  16. Bud Is good

It makes tons of sense..And it kinda makes me want to watch the video now, since I know what kinda went on..

I usually don't understand legislator mumbo jumbo..But since you explained it so nicely..It might be more understandable..
  17. MadisonNORML

MadisonNORML New Member

The State of the State has been scheduled for January 25th at 7pm at the Capitol in Madison, WI.

Can you make it?

I have filed a permit with Capitol Police so that marijuana activists can assemble outside of the Assembly chambers where Gov. Scott Walker will be giving his address, as has been done in years past. If you have a press pass, you can enter the chambers for the address. Please no advertising, tables, displays, signature gathering unless you file your own permit as mine will not cover that.

This gathering has been good for getting a word in with the Governor, and getting face time with legislators before and after the address.

Please join us with signs (no sticks), literature and put your best foot forward to offer a quick few words to our legislators and Governor.

Tip: be prepared to only have a second or two up to 15 seconds to get your point across, as in past years my experience has been that it's all the time they want to give me. You may have better luck than I have.
  18. Bud Is good

I won't be able to make it to madison for the state of the state adress..I'll watch it on tv tho..
  19. Bud Is good

Nate what is the latest news on this? Any word at all, or and headway made at all?
  20. NORML Jay

NORML Jay New Member

Assembly Bill 475 / Senate Bill 371 for the 2011-2012 Wisconsin Legislation Session has died in committee, with no public hearing being held.

Retirements, State Legislators seeking Congressional seats, along with the recall and Nov 6th Elections have changed the political landscape yet again in Wisconsin.

Much work is to be done I suppose.

The recent reports from Storck out of Madison give us this hope, although a charge of reform that would include a Republican is perceived to have a strong chance.

Pocan can be expected to take his advocacy on the cannabis issue to Washington, D.C. and he has handed off state medical cannabis to Rep. Chris Taylor (D-Madison) who will be the lead sponsor of the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act (JRMMA) going forward.