Will smoking weed reduce the functioning of antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by SpaghettiShaq, Jun 26, 2007.

1. SpaghettiShaq

SpaghettiShaq New Member

I've contracted Lyme disease, and am taking antibiotics for it. Doxycycline to be more specific.

Now, I'm going to Rock Werchter this thursday, and am already sad I cant drink or anything. So I was wondering if it's okay to smoke when on antibiotics. I've read conflicting things about this, and was wondering if anyone here knows something more about it. Will it reduce the effects of antibiotics? I'm sure as hell I want to get this Lyme shit out of my body, so I don't want to take any risks.

Thanks.
  2. kcbennie

kcbennie New Member

You should ask your doctor. O wouldn't think that it would cause a problem. Alcohol will cause the antibiodics to run through your system too quickly.
  3. sterbo

sterbo sailor dog...

I agree wholeheartedly that you should ask your doctor.

That said, a lot of doctors are still seriously uptight re: marijuana along with being conservative in nature anyway. If my doctor said that it's not a good idea I would ask for a solid explanation rather than the oft said "because I'm the doctor and I know best" routine.

While I've never smoked pot and taken Doxycycline at the same time I have smoked and taken antibiotics.

Never a problem for me.
    Additionally, since some of the results of Lyme Disease are muscle and joint pain along with skin inflammation I might venture to believe that marihuana would be an asset.

Wish you the best...
  4. nerphroll

nerphroll Sr. Member

If that's truly the case, then you would lay off the weed until you are finished with the antibiotics. But is there a definite answer to your concern? Not all all, sadly. So toke at your own risk, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, for love or money... :bong2:

Not necessarily. Alcohol can either speed up or slow down drug metabolism and excretion, depending on the drug. The same may be true of marijuana though it may not be. No definitive proof either way. :shrug:

That's a shitty stance for them (the doctors) to take. Very paternalistic. I do agree that things like cocaine, heroin, speed, etc. are harmful, though marijuana deserves no such disrespect, agreed. :shrug:

I like the way you think. ;)
  5. kcbennie

kcbennie New Member

That was what a doctor told me, or it may have been a nurse, but I was told at a doctor's office. But you're right, I should have said "I was told by a docter that alcohol..." ;)
  6. d3mus

d3mus New Member

Just asked my wife who is a RN and she says smoking weed won't do anything to your antibiotics.....toke up dood
    2 people like this.
  7. Donnavg

Donnavg New Member

Dr. Jones advice

Hey guys, The great Lyme doctor has studied drug use and Lyme Disease and personally told me that every time you do drugs, including pot, you add six months to your treatment.
    Are you guys nuts? Think there's an easy way out of anything? Think again. See a doctor and stop treating yourselves.

Also look into Dr. Amen's brain scans of people who smoke pot if you don't believe it.
  8. mud_head

mud_head New Member

the great lyme doctor? who might this be, perchance? where are your sources? and noone said anything about an easy way out, or treating themselves. he is going to see a doctor, that is what this whole post was about. please, before posting definitive statements like this, make sure to read through everything in the posts; something you obviously did not do.
  9. Habbiib

Habbiib New Member

All marijuana does is inhibit your immune system. This should not have any effect on the antibiotic.

Good luck with the lyme disease, I had it once and my knees swelled up really bad, was put on the same antibiotic too.
  10. ToastyRoadie

ToastyRoadie New Member

This thread is from 2007, lol.:D
  11. Habbiib

Habbiib New Member

Wow lol, shows how much I pay attention...
  12. TASedlak

TASedlak New Member

Citing Dr. Amen?

I can't believe someone cited Dr. Daniel G. Amen to scare people off of pot.:D Here's all you ever need to know about quack Dr. Amen:

Scientists and medical professionals have criticized the scientific validity of Amen's work, noting that there are no clinical studies supporting his claims. Although he has not conducted (nor cites) any research validating his brain-based weight-loss scheme, Amen has responded by increasing the number of references in his latest book Change Your Brain, Change Your Body.,[4] though none of these references validates the claims he makes. In addition, the review of this book in the American Journal of Psychiatry underscores the fact that "he has not subjected his treatment approaches to the level of systematic scientific scrutiny expected for scientifically based medical practice".[5]
    Neurologist Michael Greicius, who runs the Stanford University memory clinic, said "SPECT scans are not sufficiently sensitive or specific to be useful in the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease...The PBS airing of Amen's program provides a stamp of scientific validity to work which has no scientific validity."[6]
    In 2005, on Quackwatch.org, a nonprofit organization that investigates what they consider to be health-related frauds, myths, fads and fallacies, Dr. Harriet Hall, a retired military physician, was far more forceful in her criticism:
    "Amen's recommendations defy science, common sense and logic. I feel much worse about him now than I did when I wrote the piece because I went back and looked at his Web site again, and I'm just appalled by some of the things that are on it now. He's selling vitamin supplements and he's selling his own line of products. He's turned into big business."[4]
    Amen has responded by saying that,
    "The Amen Clinics tracks treatment response among its patients. 85% of our patients report a high degree of satisfaction with our services. We are not a typical psychiatric clinic. We typically see patients who have failed 3 or 4 other mental health professionals, and who have an average of 3.5 psychiatric disorders using standard DSM diagnostic measures. No one keeps response rates on such a complex diagnostic group, yet our results are very encouraging." [1]
    In turn, Quackwatch.com says that "satisfaction rates" have nothing to do with success rates, and that Amen has never made data about either available for scrutiny. According to its website, Amen Clinics charges $3,375 for a "comprehensive evaluation," which includes the patient's history, two SPECT scans, a physician consultation, and a 30-minute treatment follow-up appointment. Follow-up scans after treatment are $795 each.[4]