Would Rubbing Alcohol Cause a Wood Pipe to Become Toxic?

Discussion in 'Hand Pipes' started by RBG9, Mar 28, 2013.

1. RBG9

RBG9 New Member

I have a wooden pipe. I have never smoked out of it. I cleaned it in a glass full of rubbing alcohol. I let it sit for a while. When I came back to to take it out the alcohol was kind of brown. This was like a month ago (I`ve only been smoking J`s lately) Now, when I stick a q-tip down the inside a little bit of brown will be on the cotton part of the q-tip. Also, if I rub the pipe with like a qtip or kleenex there will be a little brown. My question is: Would the alcohol make the finish come off and then when I smoke will I be inhaling finish? Thanks. I would normally just to hell with it, because it was like $20. But, I am 3 hours away from any kind of head shop. Thanks!

2. 5drive

5drive Slacker

Bad idea. You only need to clean the bowl, air path and mouthpiece. There's no point to applying a solvent to the whole pipe. You just use cotton swabs and pipe cleaners.

Alcohol is a solvent, so yes. I would hope there's no 'finish' to the bowl itself, just the outside of the pipe. The bowl should be bare wood. You apply honey to the inside of a new bowl, to glaze it and keep it from charring. That's it.